Poll

If it is between Fultz, Ball, Jackson - who should the Celtics pick?

Fultz
Ball
Jackson

Author Topic: If it is between Fultz, Ball, Jackson - who should the Celtics pick? (Poll)  (Read 18141 times)

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I love Ball and think he is an absolute pleasure to watch, but I just can't pass up on Fultz who seems perfectly suited to be a star in todays NBA.

I still think Ball contributes more to winning basketball (channeling my inner Bill Walton here), but I seem to be in the minority.

Lets be real for a moment. Fultz chose to go to a team with literally no help other than a 6'0 shoot first sg. Given that, Ball has tons of help at UCLA. You can't expect their records to be similar with that large of a discrepancy.

Given all of that, Fultz has been the best prospect in NCAA this year. Every team he goes against spends all of their game plan trying to stop him, yet they can't. You give him the ball in the half court, and he either gets a good look, or sets up a teammate.
#JKJB

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Fultz for me. Proven scorer. Has size/length. Will easily get 20 ppg and if we are lucky he could be a 25ppg+ player who is efficient and gets to the line. His size and anticipation skills freakish for a point guard.

He's the most 'can't miss' player in this draft in my opinion.

Ball is a risk in the sense that he may never be an All Star if he can't shoot as well in the NBA-no matter how good his passing.

Jackson is great and I would probably take him over Ball at this point. He reminds me of Kawahi Leanord more than anyone in recent years and he has the work ethic, IQ and mindset to improve his shooting to become a star. At worst he'll be a Jae Crowder level defender and at best he'll be a superstar in a Paul George/Kawahi leonard mold.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I also think Jonathon Isaac has a shot at being a top 3 pick, and I'd put him up there my in top 3 overall prospects.

In fact I'd put him as my 2nd preference behind Fultz.

If he puts on muscle he has the size and skill to become a franchise player once he grows into his body. He's a center version of Paul George- an ultra modern stretch 5 man that can protect the basket and hit the 3.

I think arguably has more franchise player potential than anyone else in this draft given his age and measurements+athleticism.

He is an excellent defender with insane agility for a big man when defending the perimeter...could be an All defensive player and All Star scorer. Massive impact on both ends.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I love Ball and think he is an absolute pleasure to watch, but I just can't pass up on Fultz who seems perfectly suited to be a star in todays NBA.

I still think Ball contributes more to winning basketball (channeling my inner Bill Walton here), but I seem to be in the minority.

Not really man. I think Ball's ceiling is actually higher than Fultz.... I just don't consider Lonzo the "safe" pick right now.

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I recommend checking out the most recent locked on Celtics podcast. They discussed this topic quite well. I think the conversation should be around 4 players: fultz, ball, Tatum, and Isaac. Out of those 4 I'd take fultz #1

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does anything change if Fultz and his team dont make it into the tourney but ball/jackson go far (final four?)

How has Fultz performed against top level schools?

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Listening to Kevin O'Connor today on the Ranin' J's, he was asked this question and went with Fultz because he thinks he's not only the best player in the draft, but that he could play next to IT because he shoots better off the catch. He also said that would mean the end of AB or Smart. Not to mention Rozier or Jackson.

That's tough for me because I love our group of guards, but with the new CBA changes, you want to draft your superstar early. I wonder what AB + Rozier and picks could bring in during the offseason.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I also think Jonathon Isaac has a shot at being a top 3 pick, and I'd put him up there my in top 3 overall prospects.

If he puts on muscle he has the size and skill to become a franchise player once he grows into his body. He's a center version of Paul George- an ultra modern stretch 5 man that can protect the basket and hit the 3.

I think arguably has more franchise player potential than anyone else in this draft given his age and measurements+athleticism.

He is an excellent defender with insane agility for a big man when defending the perimeter...could be an All defensive player and All Star scorer. Massive impact on both ends.

I thought I was the only one that was this high on Isaac. There's defensive and rebounding potential with his reach, can handle the ball at his size and a shooting touch?!

Those are not bad base skills to have entering the league. Since the season started and everyone thought Nets would finish top 5 at worst, I always had this feeling this was Danny's guy. I wouldn't be too upset with him at #2.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I thought I was the only one that was this high on Isaac. There's defensive and rebounding potential with his reach, can handle the ball at his size and a shooting touch?!

Those are not bad base skills to have entering the league. Since the season started and everyone thought Nets would finish top 5 at worst, I always had this feeling this was Danny's guy. I wouldn't be too upset with him at #2.

What's the latest you think he'd be available? Like, if we end up with the best lottery odds but get the #4 pick anyway, would he still be there?
I'm bitter.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Fultz -- by far the best player in the draft. A good shooter spotting up and off the dribble. Can create separation from his defender off the dribble. Can get to the basket. One of the most versatile scoring guards from Day One in the NBA. A capable defender / rebounder and passer.

Not convinced by either Ball or Jackson as top 3 pick material. I have Patton, Isaac and Tatum ahead of them. Dennis Smith too. Concerned about Ball's ability to drive in the halfcourt and I do not see much that translates to the NBA in Jackson's offensive game.

Harsh... =T

Well, I look at his touches in the high post and elbow area (especially against zones). A lot of his passes and one-on-one moves are coming from that area. Non-centers get few touches there in the NBA nowadays. So I don't think the opportunities will be there for him.

Jackson also benefits greatly from playing the PF in college thus giving him more space to exploit and more opportunities to use his quickness. Whereas in the NBA, Jackson will likely have to play the SF. He won't have the same space. He will be playing against guys who have more comparable speed, size and athleticism as him. Jackson also does really well against zones as a PF which also will not be there in the NBA.

I think Jackson's one-on-one game is lacking outside of those situations mentioned above.

He is a bad shooter. That is another limitation. Hurts spacing.

He is a solid ball-handler and passer but I do not see him creating in PnR often enough. Not sure how well he can run the PnR. Maybe he can show that more in pre-draft workouts.

What I do see translating = transition offense and cutting.

I like Jackson in the 5-10 range (size, athleticism, defense, rebounding, team guy) but not convinced about him in the top 5 yet. I want to see more offense from him to put him there given the other talent available.

Like I mentioned on anothe thread. If markief morris, thad young, tobias harris can play th pf spot , why cant Jackson?

Jackson is considered the best versatile defender of the draft... Doesnt that give him brownie points? (On top of his ball handling and passing skills)

I dont think Jackson will be as good as Leonard.  But could provide as much impact/leadership as Draymond Green.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:11:31 PM by triboy16f »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Fultz is great if you are looking for an alpha dog scorer

Jackson better if you need a point forward

Can you imagine how many assists jackson would rack up with AB, IT4, crowder on the floor. Plus help with rebounding, rim protection

Fultz would greatly help with additional offensive firepower. Especially creating 1 on 1 and if IT4 goes cold.

Difficult decision for me

Also consider recently CBS has complained about the teams poor defense..

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Does anything change if Fultz and his team dont make it into the tourney but ball/jackson go far (final four?)

How has Fultz performed against top level schools?
For me it doesn't. For anything less than LeBron level athlete, you can't will a team of scrubs into the tourney. We can take issue with his choice to go to Wasington, but now that he has done it we can't hold it against him for the teammates he plays with.
#JKJB

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Fultz -- by far the best player in the draft. A good shooter spotting up and off the dribble. Can create separation from his defender off the dribble. Can get to the basket. One of the most versatile scoring guards from Day One in the NBA. A capable defender / rebounder and passer.

Not convinced by either Ball or Jackson as top 3 pick material. I have Patton, Isaac and Tatum ahead of them. Dennis Smith too. Concerned about Ball's ability to drive in the halfcourt and I do not see much that translates to the NBA in Jackson's offensive game.

Harsh... =T

Well, I look at his touches in the high post and elbow area (especially against zones). A lot of his passes and one-on-one moves are coming from that area. Non-centers get few touches there in the NBA nowadays. So I don't think the opportunities will be there for him.

Jackson also benefits greatly from playing the PF in college thus giving him more space to exploit and more opportunities to use his quickness. Whereas in the NBA, Jackson will likely have to play the SF. He won't have the same space. He will be playing against guys who have more comparable speed, size and athleticism as him. Jackson also does really well against zones as a PF which also will not be there in the NBA.

I think Jackson's one-on-one game is lacking outside of those situations mentioned above.

He is a solid ball-handler and passer but I do not see him creating in PnR often enough. Not sure how well he can run the PnR. Maybe he can show that more in pre-draft workouts.

I like Jackson in the 5-10 range (size, athleticism, defense, rebounding, team guy) but not convinced about him in the top 5 yet. I want to see more offense from him to put him there given the other talent available.

Like I mentioned on anothe thread. If markief morris, thad young, tobias harris can play th pf spot , why cant Jackson?

Jackson is considered the best versatile defender of the draft... Doesnt that give him brownie points? (On top of his ball handling and passing skills)

I dont think Jackson will be as good as Leonard.  But could provide as much impact/leadership as Draymond Green.

His defense is why I have him as a top 10 pick. I just need to see more offense that I think will translate to the NBA to put him in my top 5.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Harsh... =T

His defense is why I have him as a top 10 pick. I just need to see more offense that I think will translate to the NBA to put him in my top 5.

I can see your point of view... I mean after mkg, winslow, smart...gms should pay extra attention if some prospects offensive game will translate to the nba level

Vs able to bully points in college

On the flipside you have guys like Draymond Green, Leonard who are special players.... But many teams overlooked and drafted stat padders like Jabari Parker, Tobias Harris

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Fultz is great if you are looking for an alpha dog scorer

Jackson better if you need a point forward

Can you imagine how many assists jackson would rack up with AB, IT4, crowder on the floor. Plus help with rebounding, rim protection

Fultz would greatly help with additional offensive firepower. Especially creating 1 on 1 and if IT4 goes cold.

Difficult decision for me

Also consider recently CBS has complained about the teams poor defense..
The defense would improve fastest if we drafted a young defensive Big who could switch off the picks and defend guards. I think that option is not available in the draft.

My preference is Ball or Fultz and move Smart for Noel.