Author Topic: Lonzo Ball Thread (Merged)  (Read 91116 times)

Re: Lonzo Ball Thread (Merged)
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Yeah, his dad sounds like a real piece of work, especially when you combine them with his "better than Curry" comments.

This just furthers the Fultz train to me.

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Lonzo doesn't deserve any of this hate. Of course his dad wants him to stay home in California.

Lonzo is a great kid, a better teamate. Doesn't care at all about stats, just wins.

If you don't want a kid like that on the Celtics than go root for the Lakers.

« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
It's always been Fultz, Jackson or Tatum for me (Tatum worst case scenario around #4 - still good).

But boy do I wish the Lakers DON'T have their pick this season.

But knowing the rigged lottery they may end up getting #2 with Magic at the helm as well  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2017, 10:17:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It sounds like Boston would be an ideal spot for Lonzo as he would be 3,000 miles from his father.

I wouldn't worry about his dad or the Lakers comment.  Boston is a good team that is well run and well coached.  It would be a good situation for him.  He and his dad will figure that out if Boston drafts him.

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Yeah, his dad sounds like a real piece of work, especially when you combine them with his "better than Curry" comments.

This just furthers the Fultz train to me.

Again Potter I respect your opinion. But by all accounts Lonzo is 100 times more mature than his dad.

Have you seen His interviews? Oldest son, really nice soft spoken kid. Lots of athletes have jerks for parents.

Please separate Lonzo from his dumb dad. When Lonzo is playing in Boston and his Idiot dad is in Chino Hills California they will get use to the separation.

« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2017, 10:19:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
It sounds like Boston would be an ideal spot for Lonzo as he would be 3,000 miles from his father.

I wouldn't worry about his dad or the Lakers comment.  Boston is a good team that is well run and well coached.  It would be a good situation for him.  He and his dad will figure that out if Boston drafts him.

Huge Tp Knuckle. That's a perfect point. Boston is the ideal spot for Lonzo to win and to getting distance from his crazy old man.

Ball is leading UCLA's offense probably the best offense in the last 25 years in college basketball.

This Ball hate is a joke. You should be singing Ainges praises we even have a chance to draft this Basketball Genius.

« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Lonzo Ball's dad is saying his son will ONLY play for the LAKERS

https://twitter.com/ironmikeluke/status/835611155301183492

Looks like there's a 50-50 chance he goes back to school next year, then.

Honestly, Mr. Ball is the biggest reason I'm not interested in Lonzo.  I'm fairly sure he feels he should coach whatever team his son winds up on.

Thus is nonsense. Screw his stupid Father. He means we'll but he's a moron. He's a typical make me Rich Dad.

Lonzo is not going to the Lakers, he's going to the team that drafted him.

I don't care about Lamelo who sucks and needs to cherry pick.

Lonzo is the only NBA player in the family and he's the opposite of a cherry picker, he's the most unselfish teamate you will ever lay your eyes on.

Future Hall of famer.
I'd put forward the argument that questions if Rondo is a selfish player. Yes, Rondo had tons of assists, but at the end of the day was he more selfish than not following the Big 3 Era?

At this point, one can argue that Lonzo has questionable character; he was raised with the same mentality as that of his father, as he is who raised him. It is clearly evident that he is spoiled and hand-fed everything that he has "accomplished" to this point. Even in UCLA, he was given the reigns to an elite team, a team that masks his clearly obvious flaws. I can't help but draw the comparison to Dion Waiters when he makes the transition to the NBA; he has the "I'm the best" mentality without the skill to show for it. You could argue that based on the interviews that he is a good kid, unlike his father, but there is a high chance he was trained to give good interviews, just like he was trained into being an NBA player by his father.

« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline Rainmaker

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • The Truth
It's always been Fultz, Jackson or Tatum for me (Tatum worst case scenario around #4 - still good).

But boy do I wish the Lakers DON'T have their pick this season.

But knowing the rigged lottery they may end up getting #2 with Magic at the helm as well  ::)

Can't the Lakers lose their pick if they are not in the top 3?  How did Magic rise in the Laker's organization so quickly?
Love never fails. Character never quits. And with patience and persistence, dreams do come true.
-Pistol Pete Maravich-

« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Look I have been wavering between Lonzo and Fultz for awhile, but his dad is a true negative presence. And lets be honest MOST sons grow up under influence from their fathers, be it taste in teams or philosophy on life. Now granted if the son hates their father they try to be the man he couldnt, yet Ball Sr doesnt strike me as a bad father. He is just an overbearing one.

To just assume that Lonzo doesnt share ANY of the thoughts of his father is asinine. While his father seems like a blow hard, he appears to be a giant cheerleader for his sons (not bad on the spectrum of awful fathers.)

So while good interviews may soften the blow, a basic understanding of the psychology of father/son relationships mean that lonzo is best case scenario only barely likely to deviate from his father's views on the world.

*disclaimer* I dont know the Ball family, and all I have to work off of is public information. But most of the extrapolations of future fit are the exact same so I will do it also.

PS- Denis, great points, TP. I was typing my post as you posted yours and I am tempted to delete everything I wrote haha.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:31:12 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Look I have been wavering between Lonzo and Fultz for awhile, but his dad is a true negative presence. And lets be honest MOST sons grow up under influence from their fathers, be it taste in teams or philosophy on life. Now granted if the son hates their father they try to be the man he couldnt, yet Ball Sr doesnt strike me as a bad father. He is just an overbeaing one.

To just assume that Lonzo doesnt share ANY of the thoughts of his father is asinine. While his father seems like a blow hard, he appears to be a giant cheerleader for his sons (not bad on the spectrum of awful fathers.)

So while good interviews may soften the blow, a basic understanding of the psychology of father/son relationships mean that lonzo is best case scenario only barely likely to deviate from his father's views on the world.

*disclaimer* I dont know the Ball family, and all I have to work off of is public information. But most of the extrapolations of future fit are the exact same I will do it also.

PS- Denis, great points, TP. I was typing my post as you posted yours and I am tempted to delete everything I wrote haha.
right back at ya! and keep what you wrote lol, you make some great points as well.

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Lonzo Ball's dad is saying his son will ONLY play for the LAKERS

https://twitter.com/ironmikeluke/status/835611155301183492

Looks like there's a 50-50 chance he goes back to school next year, then.

Honestly, Mr. Ball is the biggest reason I'm not interested in Lonzo.  I'm fairly sure he feels he should coach whatever team his son winds up on.

Thus is nonsense. Screw his stupid Father. He means we'll but he's a moron. He's a typical make me Rich Dad.

Lonzo is not going to the Lakers, he's going to the team that drafted him.

I don't care about Lamelo who sucks and needs to cherry pick.

Lonzo is the only NBA player in the family and he's the opposite of a cherry picker, he's the most unselfish teamate you will ever lay your eyes on.

Future Hall of famer.
I'd put forward the argument that questions if Rondo is a selfish player. Yes, Rondo had tons of assists, but at the end of the day was he more selfish than not following the Big 3 Era?

At this point, one can argue that Lonzo has questionable character; he was raised with the same mentality as that of his father, as he is who raised him. It is clearly evident that he is spoiled and hand-fed everything that he has "accomplished" to this point. Even in UCLA, he was given the reigns to an elite team, a team that masks his clearly obvious flaws. I can't help but draw the comparison to Dion Waiters when he makes the transition to the NBA; he has the "I'm the best" mentality without the skill to show for it. You could argue that based on the interviews that he is a good kid, unlike his father, but there is a high chance he was trained to give good interviews, just like he was trained into being an NBA player by his father.

Denis, have you watched Ball play full games.

IMO he's the opposite of Rondo. Rondo Eid pound the ball into the ground searching for assists selfishly.

Ball doesn't do that. Moves the ball up ahead constantly, always looking for the open teamate.

Jason Kidd, Magic, Ball. Those are the three most unselfish players I've ever seen.

Plus Ball shoots .421% from three on 5.5 attempts, and he shoots .708% from two!
 4.3 attempts.

The anti Rondo.

« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

You know who had Ignorant parental figure's?

Allen Iverson and LeBron James, probably shouldn't draft them either right.

What a silly premise to not draft a player, just admit you don't like the player.

« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

You know who had Ignorant parental figure's?

Allen Iverson and LeBron James, probably shouldn't draft them either right.

What a silly premise to not draft a player, just admit you don't like the player.

See this is ridiculous and I respect most of what you do KG. Just because I differ from you doesnt mean I hate Ball. On the contrary I view him best case scenario as a tall sentinel esque sniper who makes amazing passes that leave your jaw dropped. I just feel like I made valid points on the human psyche.

Everything in a vacuum I view him as the 2nd best prospect (by a hair) behind Fultz. Yet none of the personal relationships of Ball appear for the other prospects. He is a great passer, and good shooter with a couple red flags

I will give it to you he is alot of fun to watch at the college level  :police:
#JKJB

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Ball's style doesn't fit today's NBA
If you are paying him the max you won't have enough firepower for him to pass, or when his teammates don't perform who is gonna step up?
With Fultz he can just do it himself

« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2017, 10:51:21 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Ball's style doesn't fit today's NBA
If you are paying him the max you won't have enough firepower for him to pass, or when his teammates don't perform who is gonna step up?
With Fultz he can just do it himself

Another great point, but I will curtail the discussion to Ball. The modern NBA has shifted to a point where being able to create offense is key, and creating for others is a 1c type thing. Basically its great if you can create for others, but being able to in any scenario put the ball in the bucket is of a greater quality.

Even Lebron has that criticism and he is a top 10, even top 5 player. You need scorers in this era of baskstball, and Ball is a passer and 3pt shooter (slightly arguable due to ft% and mechnaics.)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:58:11 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB