Author Topic: Lonzo Ball Thread (Merged)  (Read 91286 times)

The Lonzo Ball Hater Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Haters welcome here! Mods please leave this separate for a moment as it pertains to opinions on why Ball won't make it big as a Pro.

I've seen a lot of basketball and I think this kids the man. However I love hearing the different viewpoints on people that disagree.

My scouting report: What he does right now

Brain: His mind works at hypersonic speed.
 Vision: Elite vision

Hand size and Wrist strength, Never seen any player whip the ball around the court with the speed and sharpness.

Doesn't stick: No rondo in his game. He rarely holds it for more than a second.

Unselfish:

Size: Listed at 6'6" Giant point guard can see over defense. Size to play Two.

Elite Shooting: .431% 3 pointers. 5.6 attempts a game from Curry like distances.

Handle: Very good. 8.5 right now could be tighter.

Weaknesses I'll let you guys handle that, I have a few gripes.

Re: The Lonzo Ball Hater Thread
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Im not a Ball hater. for me hes the second best prospect in the country, but I do think the gap between him and Jackson/Tatum/Smith/Isaac is smaller than most do.

I think you overrate his handle and Im concerned about his inability to create seperation.

His jumper also looks like he needs a lot of room to get it off which is a bit concerning.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
For me, I have real questions about his defense. Noticed that in you opening points you do not even mention that. You should.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He's a good enough athlete to make it, but he's nothing special. Every other top PG this year is a pretty special athlete. He's also a mediocre free throw shooter. We're nitpicking, though. He's going to be very good.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2017, 11:38:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
For me, I have real questions about his defense. Noticed that in you opening points you do not even mention that. You should.

Fair enough.

One to ten he's about a 7 on defense. His on ball defense I can't give you much, haven't seen him challenged by good players.

I have seen highlight Chase down blocks on the break, blocks in the post.

When he decides to pressure you and jump passing lanes he's very good at it. 1.7 spg. Really could get more.

I think the difference between He and Kidd is the endurance. Kidd was just a machine. This kis is human and get's tired. I don't know if he can improve that.

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
He's a good enough athlete to make it, but he's nothing special. Every other top PG this year is a pretty special athlete. He's also a mediocre free throw shooter. We're nitpicking, though. He's going to be very good.

Tp Max. Thanks for saying we are nit picking, because we are. The kid might be better than anybody on the Celtics not named Thomas.

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Im not a Ball hater. for me hes the second best prospect in the country, but I do think the gap between him and Jackson/Tatum/Smith/Isaac is smaller than most do.

I think you overrate his handle and Im concerned about his inability to create seperation.

His jumper also looks like he needs a lot of room to get it off which is a bit concerning.
I agree with this, these flaws might relegate him to just a catch and shoot type of guy from 3, quite worrying considering he will probably a PG rather than a SG. He'd need to be in a high ball movement offense to be able to shoot, and defenders would probably stick to him like glue.

I dont know how much we need a guy like Ball whos main strength in the NBA will probably be his passing ability, considering how well our ball movement already is as a team. We need a guy who can just flat out get buckets.

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2017, 11:55:41 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Haters welcome here! Mods please leave this separate for a moment as it pertains to opinions on why Ball won't make it big as a Pro.

I've seen a lot of basketball and I think this kids the man. However I love hearing the different viewpoints on people that disagree.

Hand size and Wrist strength, Never seen any player whip the ball around the court with the speed and sharpness.

Unselfish:

Elite Shooting: .431% 3 pointers. 5.6 attempts a game from Curry like distances.

Yes, there's a lot to like, and you make excellent points. I love his flair, his game is beautiful to watch - but more importantly it's the mark of a hard-working perfectionist who loves the game.

I think that the concerns about his defense are justified; but ultimately he's got the athletic ability, the feel for the game, and the desire to be great that suggest the defense will come sooner or later - at least, given a coach who demands it. .

My main concern is with his body; home position for his knees is already pretty extended, and even if he doesn't wind up with meniscus or ligament injuries I think that there's a good chance of chronic tendinitis or low back pain.

Having said that, I think he's a great choice, worth the risk, and a good fit for Boston.

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2017, 12:18:01 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
His shot weirds me out.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
and yet another Lonzo Ball thread.....

FULTZ is better.

Ball was bottled by USC last Wednesday.

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2017, 01:04:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Unselfish:

Yes, there's a lot to like, and you make excellent points. I love his flair, his game is beautiful to watch - but more importantly it's the mark of a hard-working perfectionist who loves the game.

I think that the concerns about his defense are justified; but ultimately he's got the athletic ability, the feel for the game, and the desire to be great that suggest the defense will come sooner or later - at least, given a coach who demands it. .

My main concern is with his body; home position for his knees is already pretty extended, and even if he doesn't wind up with meniscus or ligament injuries I think that there's a good chance of chronic tendinitis or low back pain.

Having said that, I think he's a great choice, worth the risk, and a good fit for Boston.

TP Painted. This was a great point he loves the game clearly.

. I love his flair, his game is beautiful to watch - but more importantly it's the mark of a hard-working perfectionist who loves the game.

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2017, 01:06:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

FULTZ is better.

And Big O. Im not saying he's better than Fultz! He's awesome too! Much better scorer!

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2017, 02:05:32 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

This is a Jason Kidd scouting report predraft.

Looks like he had trouble finishing. Ball hits at a high % just doesn't drive that much.

Possibly the most gifted non-UCLA center player in the Pac-10. Led nation in assists as soph, led pac-10 as frosh. Voted frosh of the year in 92-93. (National) Pac-10 player of the year, All American. Also was in the top ten in steals last year and this one.

Doubts: Shooting, not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, shot 36% from 3-pt. range this year, and started hitting free throws down the stretch as well. Also has a tendancy to force things, especially in the half court game.Also some tendancies to make spectacular move, then miss the layup. Has trouble finishing.

However, there are no doubts about his desire and talent. Arguably a better passer than Magic Johnson(gasp!), a student of the game. Gives 100% at all times on the court. Is able to dominate a game, without scoring.

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

The best part is the last sentence.

"Is able to dominate the game without scoring" That perfectly describes Ball, and he shoots 43% from three.

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

FULTZ is better.

Yeah exactly what Im about to say. No need to create multiple threads to discuss a single player. Esp since what's being said is repetitive.

With that said, Im fine with drafting Ball if Fultz is not available.