Author Topic: Goodbye Avery Bradley. He's the odd man out.  (Read 7295 times)

Re: Goodbye Avery Bradley. He's the odd man out.
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Smart is worth the most even as poor shooter.  So he might be main asking piece in a trade for a big.
So that might not  weight good in his favor of staying around .......

If Celtics must take Ball or Fultz ,  then Rozier can't stay . ....for certain.

Anyone of them could go depending on the deal.

Not sure of IT's actual value in terms of what he is worth in a trade. I got a feeling we would be disappointed. Even though he is prolific scorer , he is very unique and not sure he is of equal trade value as AB or Smart to other teams.

Trade-wise Smart is probably worth a late first.  Kyle Lowry had a similar start to his career and was a meaningful bench player for the Grizzlies when he was traded to the Rockets (at 22 years old and in his third nba season) for the 27th pick in the 2009 draft and filler...

I'd bet Bradley is worth more than that.
Smart has been better than Lowry through the first 3 years(my opinion I understand those who disagree) and he has a way better pedigree than Lowry and that deal ended up a very bad one for Memphis.

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart is worth the most even as poor shooter.  So he might be main asking piece in a trade for a big.

Not sure of IT's actual value in terms of what he is worth in a trade. I got a feeling we would be disappointed. Even though he is prolific scorer , he is very unique and not sure he is of equal trade value as AB or Smart to other teams.

Trade-wise Smart is probably worth a late first.  Kyle Lowry had a similar start to his career and was a meaningful bench player for the Grizzlies when he was traded to the Rockets (at 22 years old and in his third nba season) for the 27th pick in the 2009 draft and filler...

Smart has been better than Lowry through the first 3 years(my opinion I understand those who disagree) and he has a way better pedigree than Lowry and that deal ended up a very bad one for Memphis.
Not sure pedigree matters much once you make it to the pros, it's as close to a meritocracy as it gets.

Lowry was traded again in 2012 by the Rockets (at 26 and entering his 7th nba season) for a future first round pick that ended up being #12 in the 2013 draft (Steven Adams), which definitely speaks to your point that eventually the Grizz and Rockets both probably regretted letting him get away (although the pick was used to acquire James Harden for the Rockets).

But the biggest commodity in the NBA isn't players... it's time.  Everyone needs to win right now, and waiting 7 years for a player to develop from a backup with great defense and no offense into a winning starter is something almost no GM in the NBA can afford to do.  Trade value isn't really a good indicator of a player's ultimate value, it's just what they're worth right now.  A guy who's - best case scenario -probably 2-3 years away from being a legit starter and -worst case scenario - Tony Allen 2.0, isn't likely to return more than a late first round pick right now.     

If you can find a case where a young backup point-guard in his third year with terrible scoring numbers was traded for more let me know, that would blow my mind AND prove me wrong.

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Late first...really?  ::) I am going to assume you either do not understand general player trade value or, more specifically, Smart's actual value. Late lotto, maybe, but definitely not RJ Hunter territory.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I can't see any sense in this idea. Obviously Rozier is the odd man out of the current playing group, he isn't up to the standard of AB, IT and Smart. AB's points, defence and attitude make him very valuable. Many free agents would see playing with AB as a plus when considering the Celtics as a destination.

I don't see a guard prospect in the draft that AB wouldn't be capable of reducing their impact. Because he does that to the best guards now. You want AB with you, not against you. Even with IT scoring so many points the Celtics need to improve their defence, not weaken it. Add a point guard who can score and run the floor and IT is your more logical sixth man option.

In the draft you take the best player available and if the Nets' pick ends up 1 or 2 that is probably a PG. The team still needs rebounding and size (Zizic may be the answer but that is yet to be seen and it could take a while for his play to get to where the Celtics need it to be in the NBA). If I have to trade to get rebounding and size I don't upset the balance of the team by moving AB. I would trade Smart first if TR and other assets couldn't achieve the goal. AB would be part go the glue that holds things together.

Maybe with all the talk about IT (which he deserves) AB's contributions have been overlooked. You would need a very special player coming back if you considered giving up AB. I am not sure how people suggest AB plus other assets for players who achieve similar numbers. Doesn't make sense.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
As good as Smart has been as a point guard. He does not look nearly as good with IT.

Im sorry but something has to give.

This team is suppossed to be a good defensive team, and they stink. They stink big time.

I know KG is a monster on defense, but that team with older guys like Ray and Pierce , played top 10 defense of all time type basketball.

Your telling me with these guys and supposedly Horford is a great defensive player(yea right) cannot play ?

The league is a bit different but you got problems. This team will not win with IT starting and taking all the shots.

It will not happen. Its the dire truth.

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
As good as Smart has been as a point guard. He does not look nearly as good with IT.

Im sorry but something has to give.

This team is suppossed to be a good defensive team, and they stink. They stink big time.

I know KG is a monster on defense, but that team with older guys like Ray and Pierce , played top 10 defense of all time type basketball.

Your telling me with these guys and supposedly Horford is a great defensive player(yea right) cannot play ?

The league is a bit different but you got problems. This team will not win with IT starting and taking all the shots.

It will not happen. Its the dire truth.

Good points. The problem is that you can't win with rookies either, so I am not sure how this plays out. I think it depends on what Danny is offered for whom.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Late first...really?  ::) I am going to assume you either do not understand general player trade value or, more specifically, Smart's actual value. Late lotto, maybe, but definitely not RJ Hunter territory.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, can you name another third year guard with numbers similar to Smart's who was traded for more than a late first?  Kyle Lowry is a good comparison and he was traded for a late first and filler in his third year.

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm pretty sure I'm right, can you name another third year guard with numbers similar to Smart's who was traded for more than a late first?  Kyle Lowry is a good comparison and he was traded for a late first and filler in his third year.

You know what. We don't have to debate his trade value, because Danny wont deal him unless we are ripping a team off Like a Cousins or George deal.

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 10:04:01 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
No, no, no. You don't let Avery go. My gosh. If anyone is paying attention, the "guys" coming into the league these days are teenagers. Even the very, very best of them have negligible impact in their first few seasons. This Celtics team is primed and ready to go. One "man-sized" player away. Haha.

Avery is the most improved player I've ever seen NBA and I've been a fan since the late 80s. He's a championship caliber player for sure. Does everything well, asks for nothing, gives you everything. Crowder is the same way and people want to trade him too.

Fools.

I find it funny how people always neglect the true gems. I remember hearing similar things about Isaiah not long ago, how yeah he's good but we could get someone better... and now he's challenging Harden and Westbrook for the scoring title. Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

IT is the man, but Bradley and Crowder are the heart and soul of this amazing basketball team. These are the guys you scrape and claw to KEEP. Because you WIN with them. #rememberjamesposey #remembereddiehouse

No matter which "teen" you draft it will have zero impact on Bradley's situation for the foreseeable future and why would you want to bring anything so far away into the now?

And while I've always admired and appreciated Marcus' effort and commitment and his talents are growing on me too, Bradley is the superior player, not close.

Go C's

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wrong about drafting Fultz. Correct about We were not going to pay Bradley 20 million per year.

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Wrong about drafting Fultz. Correct about We were not going to pay Bradley 20 million per year.
Didn't you also make a thread saying smart was the odd man out?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
We can still trade Crowder right?  Tired of his early clock threes banging off the rim.