Author Topic: Goodbye Avery Bradley. He's the odd man out.  (Read 7304 times)

Re: Goodbye Avery Bradley. He's the odd man out.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We don't need another point guard unless he's on the "Magic Johnson" level. The type of player that is a  franchise changer.

We have a point guard that scores 28 a game, we have another that averages 16 and plays in your face one on one D. We have the super aggressive Marcus Smart as a backup. (Rozier is the odd man out in my mind.)

We also play this game of basketball with only one ball. IT dominates that ball.

We are in desperate need of an athletic defender/rebounder with size in the front court. 

If we're forced to draft a PG, because we can't get the right deal on what we need, and this PG looks like starter and maybe a potential star, trade IT while he's at max value.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
It's going to be tough to get much for Bradley after the trade deadline, given that he becomes a rental.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

It was really nice to see his game evolve over the last 7 years. Let's be clear though. If we draft Fultz or Ball, Bradley's won't see another penny from the Celtics.

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

That's a perfect scenario for our future backcourt, and we still would have Bradley for one more year. All three brings there own unique skillet to the table.

We have to Pay Thomas, and Smart soon. Avery's days are numbered is Boston undoubtedly.
i actually think smart is the clear odd man out if we draft another guard.  In a 4 guard lineup of Thomas, Bradley, fultz and Smart... Marcus is definitely the one who will be getting okafor DNP treatment.  He's a good defender, but his shooting might prevent him from ever being a starter level player in the league and elite guard defense is overrated.  There's still a little time for him to break out this year, but we have now played half of his pivotal 3rd season and with each game I lose hope Smart will ever be anything more than a role player.  Plus, in addition to being our most efficient shooter, Bradley is also all-defense 1st team ... so he has that going for him as well. 

That said, I imagine Smart has very little trade value.   Nobody wants a guard who can't score. Bradley could actually fetch a solid return... so maybe that's why he ends up the one traded.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't think you should quit on AB. He's improved every year so far and could end up being a 20 plus scorer. I think Smart might end getting his minutes squeezed but he can play the 3 and 4 so he might survive another guard.

Rozier is the odd man out most likely. He deserves a chance somewhere so hopefully Ainge gets something back for him and gets him to a team who's able to give Roz a chance.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

It was really nice to see his game evolve over the last 7 years. Let's be clear though. If we draft Fultz or Ball, Bradley's won't see another penny from the Celtics.

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

That's a perfect scenario for our future backcourt, and we still would have Bradley for one more year. All three brings there own unique skillet to the table.

We have to Pay Thomas, and Smart soon. Avery's days are numbered is Boston undoubtedly.
i actually think smart is the clear odd man out if we draft another guard.  In a 4 guard lineup of Thomas, Bradley, fultz and Smart... Marcus is definitely the one who will be getting okafor DNP treatment.  He's a good defender, but his shooting might prevent him from ever being a starter level player in the league and elite guard defense is overrated.  There's still a little time for him to break out this year, but we have now played half of his pivotal 3rd season and with each game I lose hope Smart will ever be anything more than a role player.  Plus, in addition to being our most efficient shooter, Bradley is also all-defense 1st team ... so he has that going for him as well. 

That said, I imagine Smart has very little trade value.   Nobody wants a guard who can't score. Bradley could actually fetch a solid return... so maybe that's why he ends up the one traded.
Doesnt a Noel for Smart trade make sense for both teams?

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It's going to be tough to get much for Bradley after the trade deadline, given that he becomes a rental.

Mike

I suspect if AB is traded it will be to a team that will play on paying him a near max deal and their will be a line of communication between the team and ABs agent before hand. DA isnt going to just ship AB to a team he doesn't want to be with.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
depressing thread.  Let's wait until he leaves to say goodbye.  Such a great Celtic
in the great Celtic tradition...

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

maybe if a 3rd team got involved.  Philly needs players who can play off the ball and hit shots.

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

maybe if a 3rd team got involved.  Philly needs players who can play off the ball and hit shots.
They can fill those other needs in the draft.

Smart is equal value for Noel so why not add a backup guard for depth that fills out your roster better then Noel who will feel the pinch with Simmons coming back.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
depressing thread.  Let's wait until he leaves to say goodbye.  Such a great Celtic
in the great Celtic tradition...
AB is staying. He's too good and he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

In 2-4 years we might be forced to move AB but I don't see him as the odd man out right now.

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

Smart is equal value for Noel so why not add a backup guard for depth that fills out your roster better then Noel who will feel the pinch with Simmons coming back.
If they are filling those needs in the draft then you're left with a future where Smart will be getting 15-20 minutes off the bench as a defensive role player.   WHy not just keep Noel and get 15-20 minutes from him off the bench as a defensive role player? 

I'm not saying Smart for Noel isn't fair value.  I'm saying that I don't think Smart fits with that roster long-term if they are adding a better guard in the draft.

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Thomas
 Fultz
 Smart

If they are filling those needs in the draft then you're left with a future where Smart will be getting 15-20 minutes off the bench as a defensive role player.   WHy not just keep Noel and get 15-20 minutes from him off the bench as a defensive role player? 

I'm not saying Smart for Noel isn't fair value.  I'm saying that I don't think Smart fits with that roster long-term if they are adding a better guard in the draft.
Smart has more flexibility. He can play 3 positions and could get 25-30 minutes.

Noel is also a nice piece but he doesn't seem willing to stay a backup forever.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think AB is a better player than Smart, right now and for some time to come.   I doubt if he is the odd man out.   IT play the point and AB can shoot.   Smart is more of a off the bench guy, right now.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
No one knows what will happen. Danny might want to keep all three because they currently fill most of the guard needs. Jaylen and Gerald can fill the big tall shooting guard role if needed. Rozier backs up the first three guys who are proven NBA machines.

If Danny drafts and keeps a phenom stud guard, that would definitely cause some friction and redundancy.

Danny has one more window to add a free agent all-star or high quality role player, then the CBA allows teams to pay whatever it takes for retaining. There's too much basketball time left to speculate. So many different things could happen. I'm thinking about Portland.

Having Isaiah, Avery, and Marcus on the same roster for the rest of their careers would not be a bad move by Danny. It is contingent on Marcus honing his Chauncey Billups skills.

Bradley and Thomas together is kind of short at times, so that is where Marcus Smart comes in.

I think Danny hits for one more big free agent and/or trade, then resigns those guys.

This is all subject to change which means it's better to just watch and appreciate their efforts, and when their contracts come up, expect they will be resigned. Expect the best outcome. Olynyk is the next big decision. I guess Amir, Jonas, Tyler and others also have immediate unstable future security as Celtics.

I don't understand the need for excessive speculation. Do you want the players on edge always thinking it never ends? I think Jae said that, that it never ends. My rant is over, however.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart is worth the most even as poor shooter.  So he might be main asking piece in a trade for a big.
So that might not  weight good in his favor of staying around .......

If Celtics must take Ball or Fultz ,  then Rozier can't stay . ....for certain.

Anyone of them could go depending on the deal.

Not sure of IT's actual value in terms of what he is worth in a trade. I got a feeling we would be disappointed. Even though he is prolific scorer , he is very unique and not sure he is of equal trade value as AB or Smart to other teams.

Trade-wise Smart is probably worth a late first.  Kyle Lowry had a similar start to his career and was a meaningful bench player for the Grizzlies when he was traded to the Rockets (at 22 years old and in his third nba season) for the 27th pick in the 2009 draft and filler...

I'd bet Bradley is worth more than that.