Author Topic: The Celtics have a .765 winning percentage...  (Read 1178 times)

The Celtics have a .765 winning percentage...
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:06 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm cherry-picking to stay positive. We have to start beating top teams like Toronto and Houston. We should be able to catch Cleveland or San Antonio off-guard once in a while. We should compete against the Clippers. We haven't played them yet, but subtract the above and Golden State and we are winning at a 76.5% win rate. Before last night, it was at 79%.

It's good Brad is calling out the team for its defense. That wasn't one of Brad's better games. Seasons drag on. You can't win every game. Rose was great.

This is another semi-breathing point in the season.

We still have another day off and then it's Portland at home. Evan Turner time.

Then it's two off-days. Basically one game in four days.

Then four games in five days. Ouch and with plenty of potential drama.

Tuesday at Wizards
Wednesday at home Houston
Friday at home Orlando
Saturday at Milwaukee

Other games to look forward to are:

Feb 1 at home Toronto
Feb 3 at home Lakers
Feb 5 at home Clippers

Plus there is the trade deadline. Brooklyn keeps losing. Jaylen looked good. We were flat. Horford was embarrassing for shooting. I'm not sure why we lost. I don't think there is any meaning to that one.

Those are quality barometer games coming up soon, so we'll see what develops.

Re: The Celtics have a .765 winning percentage...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:51:49 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
We lost to the best teams but I don't see them as worrying when I look a the games. We were one lay-up short against Houston and both times we played Toronto we we able to big a solid lead, and the first time was without IT).

These games were winable, we were not outplayed by teams clearly better in terms of skill... And the Clippers game will be without CP3.

Also look where we stand while winning "only" against smaller teams. Just be consistent in beating them and you can compete for 2nd seed. that's good news imo.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
That is true. We easily could have beaten Houston and Toronto. We seem to be undefeated or close to that against the solid tier just below them. If we had lost twice to Memphis and then to Utah, and say we lost the recent Atlanta game, then we might have pause for concern, as in, are we any better than the 45-ish win team developed since Isaiah's arrival?

We seem to be a 55 win type team implying the need for just one more player.

The recent wins against Memphis, Utah and Atlanta imply that we are in the tier above their 45-50 win type ceilings.

A lot is boiling down to continued internal growth, health and whether or not Danny makes a move. Once the deadline passes, this season's situation should become more clear. It's possible there is a further deadline in which you could add a free agent like Sanders. I assume no one has his NBA rights. Zizic could be added, although that seems unlikely. The word out there seems to be Yabs isn't joining us this year no matter what and it's the same for Zizic.

The trade deadline or the last date Danny can add playoff eligible free agents is where there is still some roster suspense.

We should be able to expect nothing less than a hard fought 2nd round loss to Toronto or Cleveland. That seems to be our floor. That is a minimal goal. We are a proven top three EC team, so health has to be the number one priority.

I will start to worry only if we are playing this inconsistently at the same time next year.

Internal growth is where it's at, from Smart to Olynyk to Brown. We have a strong veteran core of Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Amir and Al. If our bench can catch up and compete with the starters, then Brad will be able to overwhelm opponents with various combinations learned through experimentation.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
We are 0-8 against the elite.

How many more opportunities are left? I will leave off Memphis and Utah.

Cavs: March 1 (h), April 5 (h)
Raptors: Feb 1 (h), Feb 24 (a)
Warriors: March 8 (a)
Spurs: all done 0-2 with point differential of -6.5
Rockets: Jan 25 (h)
Clippers: Feb 5 (h), March 6 (a)

It'd be nice to sweep the two Cleveland home games. We'd really need to be gelling strong to do that. I guess try to win half those games to prove contender status.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It'd be nice to sweep the two Cleveland home games. We'd really need to be gelling strong to do that. I guess try to win half those games to prove contender status.

Are you including the 25-19 Thunder while ignoring the 25-19 Grizzlies and 27-16 Jazz?  That doesn't make much sense
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum

Are you including the 25-19 Thunder while ignoring the 25-19 Grizzlies and 27-16 Jazz?  That doesn't make much sense

I didn't include Oklahoma for the elite. Your post is the one that doesn't make sense.