Author Topic: My thoughts on why Rozier is losing minutes and losing his spot in the rotation  (Read 4537 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The only part I disagree with is the part about Smart proving he is a good point guard. 

He isn't.

His court vision is ok, his decision making is mediocre, his ball handling is mediocre. 

But Brad and Danny are obsessed with Smart because of his hard fighting attitude (and I get that) and he can't play shooting guard because he is probably the worst shooter among all NBA guards, and so by default he's going to get most of his minutes at the PG spot.

Rozier at times has looked every bit as good as Smart out there, and other times he's looked very green - which is expected, given he still hasn't had a lot of experience. 

Fact is that as long as Smart is on the roster, Steven's isn't going to be gifting any minutes to Rozier - he's going to have to earn every one of them.  And much as I like Rozier and his upside, I'm OK with that, because I believe that's how it should be. 

All I know is that on those occasions here and there where Rozier does flash his ability (like tonight) it becomes blatantly obvious that he has a much higher upside then Smart - he's just a more skilled and more talented player in every single way other then defence.  BUT that doesn't mean anything unless he shows he can do it night in, night out - a good game in every 10 isn't enough.

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
The only part I disagree with is the part about Smart proving he is a good point guard. 

He isn't.

His court vision is ok, his decision making is mediocre, his ball handling is mediocre. 

But Brad and Danny are obsessed with Smart because of his hard fighting attitude (and I get that) and he can't play shooting guard because he is probably the worst shooter among all NBA guards, and so by default he's going to get most of his minutes at the PG spot.

Rozier at times has looked every bit as good as Smart out there, and other times he's looked very green - which is expected, given he still hasn't had a lot of experience. 

Fact is that as long as Smart is on the roster, Steven's isn't going to be gifting any minutes to Rozier - he's going to have to earn every one of them.  And much as I like Rozier and his upside, I'm OK with that, because I believe that's how it should be. 

All I know is that on those occasions here and there where Rozier does flash his ability (like tonight) it becomes blatantly obvious that he has a much higher upside then Smart - he's just a more skilled and more talented player in every single way other then defence.  BUT that doesn't mean anything unless he shows he can do it night in, night out - a good game in every 10 isn't enough.
I think Smart gives us a better chance to win but I think there are times Brad mistakenly leaves Roz on the bench. Last night was a good example. IT4 was getting zero help in OT. Smart was 0-5 or 0-6 from the fourth quarter to end of OT. He did have that fantastic steal that the ref mistakenly called a foul but besides that he was not helping on offense. We badly needed someone to hit a shot or two in OT to help IT. Roz was feeling it last night but he never got the call in OT. I think Brad messed that up. Normally IT carries us home and we can leave Smart in to focus on D but last night's game had a different feel. IT needed some help and the guys around him were not producing besides I think one jumper by Horford.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think Smart gives us a better chance to win but I think there are times Brad mistakenly leaves Roz on the bench. Last night was a good example. IT4 was getting zero help in OT. Smart was 0-5 or 0-6 from the fourth quarter to end of OT. He did have that fantastic steal that the ref mistakenly called a foul but besides that he was not helping on offense. We badly needed someone to hit a shot or two in OT to help IT. Roz was feeling it last night but he never got the call in OT. I think Brad messed that up. Normally IT carries us home and we can leave Smart in to focus on D but last night's game had a different feel. IT needed some help and the guys around him were not producing besides I think one jumper by Horford.

I have been in the pro-Rozier camp, but not at the expense of Smart. I think they both add very different qualities to this roster and I enjoy watching them (and Brown) are play.

With that said, I generally agree with the above. Even though he is not there yet, Rozier is and should be playing the Bradley SG role, not PG role. In OT when we were struggling, Bradley normally would have been in the game. Since Rozier's offense was clicking (humongous 3 at the end of regulation), he probably should have had a chance to carry that momentum into OT.

Smart and Roz are actually a pretty decent duo, as well, with Smart playing the half-court PG role and Terry playing the fast break PG role. With his improved shot, Terry should be playing off the ball in the half court. It also gives him an opportunity off the catch to take it to the hoop.

All hope should not be lost with Rozier, but he has to prove himself through the next week with Bradley out or his time could be short. Another possibility is if we trade Bradley for a big, but that is a big 'if'.

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I have been in the pro-Rozier camp, but not at the expense of Smart. I think they both add very different qualities to this roster and I enjoy watching them (and Brown) are play.

With that said, I generally agree with the above. Even though he is not there yet, Rozier is and should be playing the Bradley SG role, not PG role. In OT when we were struggling, Bradley normally would have been in the game. Since Rozier's offense was clicking (humongous 3 at the end of regulation), he probably should have had a chance to carry that momentum into OT.

Smart and Roz are actually a pretty decent duo, as well, with Smart playing the half-court PG role and Terry playing the fast break PG role. With his improved shot, Terry should be playing off the ball in the half court. It also gives him an opportunity off the catch to take it to the hoop.

All hope should not be lost with Rozier, but he has to prove himself through the next week with Bradley out or his time could be short. Another possibility is if we trade Bradley for a big, but that is a big 'if'.
good point about playing Roz at SG. He struggles at times with setting up the offense. It would had been a great spot in OT for him to be off the ball and maybe benefit once or twice from the attention IT4 was getting.