Author Topic: My thoughts on why Rozier is losing minutes and losing his spot in the rotation  (Read 4529 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because of that nets pick likely ending up a guard, I really only expect one of Rozier, Smart, and Bradley to be on this team next season.  Two of those guys will probably be gone.
I don't think Rozier really factors in.

I think it's more 1 of Nets pick Bradley smart won't be here.

Really? Lets say you draft Fultz. Couldn't it then be:

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.
if we draft fultz, I expect him to deserve significantly more minutes than the 14 he will get behind Thomas.  And this would also see smart get his minutes trimmed in half to 15ish a night.   One of those guys would have to go.   That's a guard log jam.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:17:05 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Rozier Talent wise is a  "Jag"...

Another Ainge reach...
Rozier was picked at 16. Were there really many players chosen later that have been that much better?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Another Ainge reach...
Rozier was picked at 16. Were there really many players chosen later that have been that much better?

Powell, Richardson, Harrell, Dekker,  Nance, Hernangomez

Arguable - Portis, RHJ, Anderson
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Another Ainge reach...

A player is a reach only if you know he will be available at a much later pick. Which you don't. In fact, it has been reported that at least 2 teams right after the celtics pick are interested in drafting him. So, nope. Nice try though.

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Because of that nets pick likely ending up a guard, I really only expect one of Rozier, Smart, and Bradley to be on this team next season.  Two of those guys will probably be gone.

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.
if we draft fultz, I expect him to deserve significantly more minutes than the 14 he will get behind Thomas.  And this would also see smart get his minutes trimmed in half to 15ish a night.   One of those guys would have to go.   That's a guard log jam.
Spot on. Rozier is in a really tough situation that is about to get worse if we land Fultz or Ball. Smart also might lose out if we get Ball or Fultz.

Moving Smart for Noel might be a good move if Ainge is set on taking one of these guards in the draft.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
His most redeeming quality is his ability to make ill-advised shots.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Rozier is in a tough position. He will improve and will likely spend a few seasons in the NBA. I can't see there being room or opportunity for that to be at the Celtics, all things considered. If two of our other current guards have serious injuries and the Nets start winning, things could change. I really doubt it.

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.

No, because as i said in OP Smart is most effective as a PG and won't play much SG minutes. So if we draft Fultz, Rozier is gone for sure but maybe is Smart too. Smart is best with the ball, if you play Smart on SG with his terrible shooting, that is just waste of his talent.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is the 4th pg sized g on the Celtics.  If he or one of the G in front of him had the size to play some sf, he would get more minutes.   

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.

No, because as i said in OP Smart is most effective as a PG and won't play much SG minutes. So if we draft Fultz, Rozier is gone for sure but maybe is Smart too. Smart is best with the ball, if you play Smart on SG with his terrible shooting, that is just waste of his talent.

Why you guys think Smart could be gone? He has shown more than Rozier and we wouldn't have to overpay him at all.

I think you keep him around since his production is off the charts and he really could become an elite 3-d playmaker guy, that can be a secondary ball handler allowing us to switch it up on offense.

But in the case that Smart is just what he is, which is not that elite option at sixth man and more like an elite role player. I can see Fultz coming in and stealing that sixth man spot since the only guy we got on the bench that can penetrate, and collapse the defense is Jaylen but he's not as decisive as Fultz.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Rozier has lost his minutes because the team has found success with Smart playing PG as the shortest member of the second unit. When Smart is PG with two bigger wings the Cs have a clear miss match vs most teams backup PG. Aside from IT the Cs lack a player who can create offense either in isolation or from a typical mismatch. Smarts post game is unconventional but forces teams to react creating open shots typically for the stretch bigs JJ/KO who man is giving help. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
6-1" combo guard that is neither a point guard or a shooting guard. On a team that already has the smallest backcourt in the NBA.

He'll eventually morph into a reliable bench player on another team.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
His most redeeming quality is his ability to make ill-advised shots.

This.

Also, his defense sucks and has been killing us all year.

Having 3 main rotation players under 6'2", especially when one is 5'9", has been killing us all year. 

We're already weak enough, we need a strong physical guy like Smart getting all of Rozier's minutes.

Only difference between the 4th best defense in the league last year and our current 21st best defense is replacing Evan Turner with Rozier.

You'd think Green would at least come close to matching Evan Turner defensively (especially after seeing his defense on the Heat).  No clue what Brad was thinking with all these mini lineups.  You'd think our rebounding would have been a big enough red flag.

Starting 2 undersized guards is bad enough, playing Smart out of position at SG/SF on top of it is ridiculous.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Smart's emergence contributed, but let's face the fact that, after a good start to the season, Terry has looked a bit lost. His shot has stopped falling, and his lack of confidence shows. He also tends to pound the ball a lot, which in a ball movement offense like ours is an unwelcome trait. And his defense doesn't seem to be as awesome as it once was.  Hoping this is the sophomore slump and that he will emerge a decent bench energizer.

This, I think, is the biggest factor.  If he moved the ball more or drove-to-pass like Marcus, it might be different.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Etwan Moore 2.0