Author Topic: My thoughts on why Rozier is losing minutes and losing his spot in the rotation  (Read 4536 times)

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Many people here are dissapointed by Rozier so i thought i share my opinion about his season and why i think it's not his fault that he is losing minutes and place in rotation.

I like Rozier. He had great offseason and he improved his game. But when the season started our position depth looked like this:

PG: Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG: Bradley, Smart, Green

Rozier was getting his minutes early in the season and he was playing ok. But things change, especially the Smart situation. Smart before the season was considered a combo guard, PG/SG. And he was supposed to play most minutes on SG this season and some on PG. But this season BS and i think most of us realized that Smart true and most efficient position is PG. He will probably never be good shooter but still plays 30 mpg. Why? Because he does a lot of little things plus plays hard defense but also this season we saw that he is good point guard. Really good court vision, comfortable ball handler and vocal leader. Good traits for a point guard not for a shooting guard.

So Smart is out PG when IT is on bench and Green started getting minutes on SG off the bench so there is no minutes for Rozier. We know Rozier is point guard but there are no minutes there and he is not effective on SG. So ny opinion is that he didin't lose his spot because he played bad but because of diffrent circumstances. Unfortunately it looks like the future for Rozier as a Celtic doesn't look bright because i don't see IT or Smart leaving soon.

There was a poll in some other thread where a lot of people voted that they are dissapointed by Rozier so i wanted to share my opinion about him. I think he is really solid young player but right now IT, Smart are better and they are getting all the poing guard minutes.

Do you agree that it isn't his fault that he lost minutes and rotation spot, or do you think that is because he was playing bad?

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Smart's emergence contributed, but let's face the fact that, after a good start to the season, Terry has looked a bit lost. His shot has stopped falling, and his lack of confidence shows. He also tends to pound the ball a lot, which in a ball movement offense like ours is an unwelcome trait. And his defense doesn't seem to be as awesome as it once was.  Hoping this is the sophomore slump and that he will emerge a decent bench energizer.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Watching the game last night I think the reason Rozier doesn't play more often is because of his defense.

Last year, our defense was elite in large part because our pick and roll defense was elite. Last year whoever defended the ball did everything they could to direct the ball away from screens. Last night, Rozier failed repeatedly to keep his man from using the high ball screen and almost every time the opponent did they got an easy bucket.

In general I think Rozier has a pretty low basketball IQ. He has the athleticism to get to the basket, but often pulls it out for no apparent reason when he should be forcing the issue. On defense he loses focus too often and isn't physical enough.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Watching the game last night I think the reason Rozier doesn't play more often is because of his defense.

Last year, our defense was elite in large part because our pick and roll defense was elite. Last year whoever defended the ball did everything they could to direct the ball away from screens. Last night, Rozier failed repeatedly to keep his man from using the high ball screen and almost every time the opponent did they got an easy bucket.

In general I think Rozier has a pretty low basketball IQ. He has the athleticism to get to the basket, but often pulls it out for no apparent reason when he should be forcing the issue. On defense he loses focus too often and isn't physical enough.

Pretty much summarizes Rozier thus far. I think he can break through eventually.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Pretty much summarizes Rozier thus far. I think he can break through eventually.
If we draft a pg with the Nets pick he might not have the chance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think Rozier has shown that he's talented. He just hasn't shown that he's ready to be a rotation player yet. He's shown me that he's a better shooter and a crisper athlete than Smart, but Smart is miles ahead of him in basketball IQ and defense. That's why Brad gives the nod to Smart and not Terry. I believe that Terry (if he's not traded) will be even better next year because he will have improved his IQ playing under Stevens. He's definitely shown flashes but not consistency.

Another reason why he's lost his minutes is because the team is full of undersized guards so at this point they need more height at that position. Gerald Green is an experienced veteran who is taller than Rozier and has shown that he can play within the offense. He may be a chucker but he does have some awareness on offense. At least compared to Rozier. When Gerald has the ball, he's been prone to shoot it but he does pass it when he knows the team is running a play. When Terry has the ball, he's prone to keep dribbling to try to get a better shot and just kills the flow of the offense.

I think Rozier will be more productive for the Celtics with time, but just not for this season.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Many people here are dissapointed by Rozier so i thought i share my opinion about his season and why i think it's not his fault that he is losing minutes and place in rotation.

I like Rozier. He had great offseason and he improved his game. But when the season started our position depth looked like this:

PG: Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG: Bradley, Smart, Green

Rozier was getting his minutes early in the season and he was playing ok. But things change, especially the Smart situation. Smart before the season was considered a combo guard, PG/SG. And he was supposed to play most minutes on SG this season and some on PG. But this season BS and i think most of us realized that Smart true and most efficient position is PG. He will probably never be good shooter but still plays 30 mpg. Why? Because he does a lot of little things plus plays hard defense but also this season we saw that he is good point guard. Really good court vision, comfortable ball handler and vocal leader. Good traits for a point guard not for a shooting guard.

So Smart is out PG when IT is on bench and Green started getting minutes on SG off the bench so there is no minutes for Rozier. We know Rozier is point guard but there are no minutes there and he is not effective on SG. So ny opinion is that he didin't lose his spot because he played bad but because of diffrent circumstances. Unfortunately it looks like the future for Rozier as a Celtic doesn't look bright because i don't see IT or Smart leaving soon.

There was a poll in some other thread where a lot of people voted that they are dissapointed by Rozier so i wanted to share my opinion about him. I think he is really solid young player but right now IT, Smart are better and they are getting all the poing guard minutes.

Do you agree that it isn't his fault that he lost minutes and rotation spot, or do you think that is because he was playing bad?

Rozier needs to find his niche and fast... Coming out of Summer League, I thought he was going to take Smart's spot at least. I figured his improved jumpshot should allow him to stick at SG where Smart was miserable offensively. But he can't use his speed, can't pass, is more like stray dog on defense instead of a pitbull, and on top of all that his jumper is not falling? I'm sorry man but he has to go.

The Nets picks are going to come into play this summer, Danny Ainge knows this is his shot to push this team over the top or, ideally, set it up for a dynasty level run. I have no qualms on trading or cutting Rozier, especially if Superstar X ends up being a guard out of this draft.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

TP, especially the bolded part.

This is something that I've noticed our whole team struggles with this year. Our bigs just do not understand how to effectively guard the pick and roll/pop, and it forces the guards to be elite at getting around screens to stop things from happening. Smart and Bradley can occasionally get around screens fast enough to do this, but there are times that it's just not possible, especially for someone like IT.

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Rozier Talent wise is a  "Jag"...

Another Ainge reach...

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Rozier Talent wise is a  "Jag"...

Another Ainge reach...
Name another
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because of that nets pick likely ending up a guard, I really only expect one of Rozier, Smart, and Bradley to be on this team next season.  Two of those guys will probably be gone.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Because of that nets pick likely ending up a guard, I really only expect one of Rozier, Smart, and Bradley to be on this team next season.  Two of those guys will probably be gone.
I don't think Rozier really factors in.

I think it's more 1 of Nets pick Bradley smart won't be here.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Really? Lets say you draft Fultz. Couldn't it then be:

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.
Yeah, but I expect an asset to be moved for big man help. That means smart or Bradley or Brooklyn '17 for me

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

IT/Fultz
Bradley/Smart

Rozier gone.
Yeah, but I expect an asset to be moved for big man help. That means smart or Bradley or Brooklyn '17 for me

I figured they would sign one of Griffin or Ibaka/Noel/Millsap (Griffin is probably not leaving LA).

Then you have Zizic and maybe Yabu coming over. That helps I think.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller