Author Topic: Rudy gay out for the rest of the season  (Read 4644 times)

Re: Rudy gay out for the rest of the season
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This also messes up my plans for stopping GS.

I figured Gay would get bought out after the Kings were unable to move him at the trade deadline.  Then he'd sign with the Clips, and add some talent and depth to their lineup as they are incredibly weak at SF.

I think a healthy LAC against GS would be a very good series as the teams stand now, adding in Rudy Gay would have only helped (unless the curse of him is real).  The last Western Conference team to beat GS in the playoffs was LAC in '14 in a pretty good 7 game series.  Sure, GS has rattled off 7 straight wins against them and are 8-1 since that playoff loss, but most of those had been pretty close and 3 were without Blake Griffin.  I want to see those 2 teams grind it out in the playoffs again.

Of course as the Kings hung in contention for the 8th seed, the odds of buying him out probably decreased, so this probably wasn't happening anyways.  It was my vision at the start of the season though.  Seemed pretty plausible at the time.

I think the curse is real, but it's a different curse.  The Clippers have an injury curse.  In fact, by hoping the Gay would become a Clipper, you might have confused the basketball gods into cursing Gay prematurely.  It's your fault that he tore his Achilles!  :o

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is rather unfortunate for my fantasy team. Otherwise, quite inconsequential.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What's the time table on his return?

9 to 12 months it seems. So his carreer is definitely in bad shape.

And that's just to get back on the court. He will likely never fully regain his athleticism.

That may have been true 10 years ago, but I think recovery from Achilles today is more optimistic. Wasn't there an athlete who came back full strength from two Achilles tears? May have been another sport (NFL?)

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is rather unfortunate for my fantasy team. Otherwise, quite inconsequential.

You're all heart, K.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You're all heart, K.
Grit and balls, man, grit and balls.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
What's the time table on his return?

9 to 12 months it seems. So his carreer is definitely in bad shape.

And that's just to get back on the court. He will likely never fully regain his athleticism.

That may have been true 10 years ago, but I think recovery from Achilles today is more optimistic. Wasn't there an athlete who came back full strength from two Achilles tears? May have been another sport (NFL?)

Can't say I remember this.  It's almost two years since Wes Matthews had this injury, and it's questionable if he's back to where he was beforehand.  Gay also turns 31 this summer -- decline is inevitable, and this probably robs him of the last 1-2 years of his peak performance.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This news doesn't do anything regarding Cousins since he's resigning with the Kings.

Gay ruptures Achilles
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18513578/sacramento-kings-forward-rudy-gay-fully-ruptured-achilles

Not only does this probably cost Gay millions of dollars, but he may never be a starter again. This Is easily a two year recovery for him, putting him at 32 before he is healthy. Feel bad for the guy.

On top of that, the Kings are becoming less and less likely to make the playoffs, with the Nuggets and Mavs surging.

Does Cousins resign now?

Re: Gay ruptures Achilles
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Maybe the Mavs sign him

Re: Gay ruptures Achilles
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ill always think of Gay as a poor man Carmelo Anthony
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.