Author Topic: Who we need to draft  (Read 6713 times)

Re: Who we need to draft
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Jackson seems to be a "Danny" type player.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yup, checks all the boxes

I remember, shortly after the draft last year, looking through the top prospects just to familiarize myself with the top guys. When I read Jacksons profile I was horrified because I knew that we had already picked this dude.

High character high IQ, good athlete, prioritizes defense, cant shoot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:00:31 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And also CBS

High bbiq

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
You take best player available:

Great story. In 1984, Coach Bobby Knight was coming off a gold-medal Olympic run with Michael Jordan. Knight was friends with then Portland Trailblazer GM, Stu Inman, and called to sell him on Jordan as their first pick in the upcoming NBA draft. With Clyde Drexler already on the team, Inman had other plans.

INMAN:
We need a center.

BOBBY KNIGHT:
Then draft Jordan, and play him at center.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
JONATHAN ISSAC
          OR
Jayson Tatum

The last thing we need is another PG. I think Issac and Tatum have star potential.

Issac can play SF/PF, dribble, shoot the 3,  block some shots, & is 6'10 w/ KD like length and athleticism

Tatum is 6'8, can dribble, shoot, and get to his spots to score.  He's money in the post

Isaac is not averaging top numbers and is raw physically. I would be delighted to pick him somewhere in the lotto but not as a top 3 pick. Tatum is not either scoring top numbers or helping his team win games on a consistent manner. Duke is losing to teams they should be beating

For me currently it's a race between picking Fultz or Jackson. The top two prospects of the draft. We draft either and we will be good to go

Why the love for Jackson, TB? Not the type of prospect you usually peg. Not long. 

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Best player available

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I remember, shortly after the draft last year, looking through the top prospects just to familiarize myself with the top guys. When I read Jacksons profile I was horrified because I knew that we had already picked this dude.

yubusele seems to have a good shot and ainge drafted him. in college, jackson had an okay shooting percentage as well. zizic shoots well, though always from in close, but his FT% was fine. nader shot well at iowa state.

your assertion - ainge prefers poor shooters - doesnt seem to be a very strong one.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
JONATHAN ISSAC
          OR
Jayson Tatum

The last thing we need is another PG. I think Issac and Tatum have star potential.

Issac can play SF/PF, dribble, shoot the 3,  block some shots, & is 6'10 w/ KD like length and athleticism

Tatum is 6'8, can dribble, shoot, and get to his spots to score.  He's money in the post

No, the last thing we need is another player without star potential.  I don't care if we draft a guy that plays PG, SG, QB, or DH as long as he has some serious star potential.  You don't pick for position early in the draft (you shouldn't late, either, but that's beside the point) if you want to build a successful team.  You can always make trades to strengthen a position, but you'll find it nearly impossible to trade just-okay players for stars

Exactly!  This is the situation we are in now.  We are trying to trade just ok players for stars.  Alot of people seem to think if they make a trade that has two or three players that can't even start on our team we can get a star.  Just because it works in trade machine doesn't mean it's a realistic trade.  We need to draft Fultz if we get the chance and hope he turns into something special. 

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

yubusele seems to have a good shot and ainge drafted him. in college, jackson had an okay shooting percentage as well. zizic shoots well, though always from in close, but his FT% was fine. nader shot well at iowa state.

your assertion - ainge prefers poor shooters - doesnt seem to be a very strong one.
I based my joke off of the fact that each our our #1 picks in the last 3 drafts have been high character athletes with high defensive potentials and their #1 weakness being their inability to shoot the basketball.

I stand by the joke. FWIW I wanted Smart in '14, had no problem with Brown in '16, and actually preferred RHJ(an even worse shooter) in '15 but also had no problem with Rozier.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That's the exception and not the rule with Ainge. He usually prefers long arms and defense.

Exceptions are Olynyk over the Greek Freak, horrible decision. Young over Hood. Hood was the better shooter and older but Young had a 5" wingspan advantage.

Typical Ainge picks high picks too.

All these players have, ridiculous wingspan, great defenders except Brown. right now. And all questionable shooters.

Rozier 6'8"
 Jaylen Brown 7'
 Rondo 6'9"
 Smart 6'9"
 Young 7'

Bradley, good form but shot took a while. Nice wingspan great defender

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

And also CBS

High bbiq

NC BBQ is the bestest

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Of course it's a weak assertion - no one, Ainge included, prefers a player that can't shoot to a player with the same skills and athleticism that can shoot.  Ainge just generally prefers a player who's main weakness (or, later in the draft, has shooting as one of their main weaknesses) to players that are undersized, or not athletic enough, or has a low basketball IQ, etc. And given his track record with those kinds of guys working out despite being late/flawed picks (Rondo, Tony Allen, etc.), I don't blame him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
JONATHAN ISSAC
          OR
Jayson Tatum

Isaac is not averaging top numbers and is raw physically. I would be delighted to pick him somewhere in the lotto but not as a top 3 pick. Tatum is not either scoring top numbers or helping his team win games on a consistent manner. Duke is losing to teams they should be beating

For me currently it's a race between picking Fultz or Jackson. The top two prospects of the draft. We draft either and we will be good to go

Why the love for Jackson, TB? Not the type of prospect you usually peg. Not long.

Watch this ... and you will see why

#11 Jackson vs Kansas St. Highlights
https://youtu.be/K2aoeFpqxoY

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
JONATHAN ISSAC
          OR
Jayson Tatum

He looks like a slightly smaller Ben Simmons, but with a motor and far superior, ferocious D.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
JONATHAN ISSAC
          OR
Jayson Tatum

He looks like a slightly smaller Ben Simmons, but with a motor and far superior, ferocious D.

very very good offensive rebounder also.    No doubt his jump shot needs polish.  Worst case he can't fix his low release point.  But that is fine, as long as he can make the open jumpers and FTs on a consistent basis.   He is too good in other areas of the game, you can overlook this one wrinkle

Another player comparable to jackson is Shawn Marion imo.  Part Leonard, Part Marion (including the not so pretty low release jump shot)