4 (5.1%)
Jerebko
1 (1.3%)
Jae Crowder
2 (2.5%)
Amir J
14 (17.7%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Who has been the most disappointing player on the Celtics this season?  (Read 5741 times)

Re: Who has been the most disappointing player on the Celtics this season?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I think the obvious choice is Terry Rozier. He was such a tease coming into the season, I was expecting big things as people were even claiming he was going to beat out Smart for those Turner minutes. Needless to say the flashes have been few and far in between, at this point I wouldn't mind replacing him or Gerald Green with someone like Fultz or Lonzo Ball.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
You really cant vote on names like Rozier, Mickey, or Brown because lack of previous playing time ... Even though say Rozier is playing poorly, well IMO.... you can not have high expectations coming off a rookie season where he rarely saw the court...

Olynyk would have been the obvious choice but he has been playing well of lately and maybe can salvage the second half of the season ...

Jorebko is another guy but obviously his stats and play has been consistent through the past few years ... In a way he actually overachieved...

My vote is Zeller and the main reason is money ... One of the more lucrative contracts signed by the C's last year finds a guy who cant even get off the bench ... Now the C's can void the 2nd year but c'mon a guy who ranks 4th on the team in salary deserves this award of shame...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
For all you people picking Zeller, it's hard to produce when you get no playing time...

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Amir looks old. A lot of mileage on those legs.

Terry has disappointed based on summer league, but that was probably misleading.  He dribbles too much without doing anything.  His offensive efficiency has also declined from a promising start.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
For all you people picking Zeller, it's hard to produce when you get no playing time...

yea thats whats you call disappointing

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Amir's really turned it around recently, but it was easily him 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't have high hopes for Zeller, but he's probably the only other one who's been disappointing at all.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I picked Rozier, a guy who drafted high and is supposed to have upside. It isn't showing so far.
A disappointment.

Other guys like Mickey and Zeller I've written off. I'm still PO'd that Zeller is making $8 million.
Mickey isn't big enough up front to make it. AJ is a disappearing act. Olynyk is a stretch 3.
I'd love to see him skinny again and quicker.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Rozier and Brown should at least be rotational players by now but they aren't.

So for that you have to put them ahead of Amir, who is a serviceable rotational player despite hurting our space and rebounding (and we all already knew Amir can't help us in those areas, so as long as you had accurate/realistic expectations about him you can't really be disappointed).

(Voted Rozier because at least Brown's done SOMETHING)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
By reading the answers... the question could have been "Who is the player you clearly misevaluate or don't understand his value to the team"?
No one has been disapointing, they are right there where they should be. Except for the little guy, nobody could have seen his giant leap this year, amazing.

lol this is pretty spot on. Sigh.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
One can only hope that Danny can Package Amir and Zeller---to get a big man who can out rebound Avery Freaking Bradley-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Rozier. He tore up summer league but mostly looks out of control. He has played better since he was benched but he needs to play a more team game and his defense has not been good, especially his team defense.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Rozier and Brown should at least be rotational players by now but they aren't.

So for that you have to put them ahead of Amir, who is a serviceable rotational player despite hurting our space and rebounding (and we all already knew Amir can't help us in those areas, so as long as you had accurate/realistic expectations about him you can't really be disappointed).

(Voted Rozier because at least Brown's done SOMETHING)

I could buy the argument that Amir hurts our spacing (he can hit threes at a good clip, but his slow shooting motion and tendency to play inside kind of negates that), but he does not hurt our rebounding.  He has the 2nd best TRB% of rotation players, behind only Tyler Zeller.  He's by no means a great rebounder, but he's pretty much the best we've got, and certainly doesn;t hurt the team when he's out there instead of Kelly or Jerebko.

As for people that picked him as the most disappointing this season (I'm one of them), it isn't because I had "unrealistic" expectations for him (unless you consider being pretty much the same player he was last year "unrealistic"). His 14.9 TRB% from last year would be tops on the team this year, 1.5 percentage points ahead of Zeller's 13.4% and 2.5 points ahead of Amir's 12.4% for this year.  He also appears to have slowed down a bit when defending on the perimeter, which is unfortunate because it forces Horford to the outside instead of inside where he can protect the rim.  With the team overall being as good as it is, it's hard to find anyone that's been truly disappointing, so the closest we have is Amir, who unfortunately seems to be declining despite being only 29 years old (though to be fair it is his 12th NBA season)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
As for people that picked him as the most disappointing this season (I'm one of them), it isn't because I had "unrealistic" expectations for him (unless you consider being pretty much the same player he was last year "unrealistic"). His 14.9 TRB% from last year would be tops on the team this year, 1.5 percentage points ahead of Zeller's 13.4% and 2.5 points ahead of Amir's 12.4% for this year.  He also appears to have slowed down a bit when defending on the perimeter, which is unfortunate because it forces Horford to the outside instead of inside where he can protect the rim.  With the team overall being as good as it is, it's hard to find anyone that's been truly disappointing, so the closest we have is Amir, who unfortunately seems to be declining despite being only 29 years old (though to be fair it is his 12th NBA season)
I don't disagree with any of that but given Amir's history, I'm not surprised by it either, so I can't say I'm disappointed.

I picked James Young. I understand others saying he's not a disappointment because he didn't have any expectations, but this is the year I can finally admit he's a bust. I spent 2 seasons after he was drafted defending him, thinking he would eventually improve as he got older and a little more seasoned but it hasn't happened. Even though my expectations for him were low going into the season, it's still disappointing for me to know that, after all that, he's just not an NBA player.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:19:00 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I voted for Young. I was surprised when he was kept on at the start of the season. Danny must have had his reasons (Young may have compromising photos of DA). He looks the part occasionally and you hold out hope that he will become an NBA player. All arguments in his favour are just about exhausted.

No other player has really given me cause to be disappointed. Amir was the other name that came to mind but he has improved recently. He will likely be the player who will lose his starting job if DA makes the trade many have their fingers crossed for.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Tyler Zeller or Gerald Green.

I expected more from Rozier, but can't hold him to much given his inexperience (same goes for Brown, Mickey, etc).

Zeller has really fallen off the map, but I guess that makes some sense given Horford's arrival. Still, I was hoping he'd get good productive PT, and build some trade value.

Geraldo Green--I was hoping he'd be a hidden gem, a sparkplug of offense off the bench who could come in when the starters were getting a breather and just pile up buckets and run the other team ragged.
Celtics fan for life.