Author Topic: talk positive-think cynical  (Read 923 times)

talk positive-think cynical
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
kelly tried to play in playoffs and unjustly in hind sight criticized
kelly tried to avoid an operation that would sideline him playing for canada
kelly puts celtics first and gets operation on shoulder-looks like it was real,--- bashers
kelly can't play all summer
kelly misses pre season and early celtics games
 kelly has to work himself into game shape and regain shooting form
kelly was the best 3 point shooting center last season, why shouldn't rehab, recovery and gaining trust take  1/2 a season
consider a longer recovery for a 7 ft center that shoots threes and puts ball on floor

avery comes back from mild achillies and can't shoot ,can't pass and can't dribble -its timing or rust
but if you are smart ,crowder and kelly who have come back after serious injuries you get mauled
basketball is played at such high level that any injury can throw off a player and even more so someone who may rely on leverage ,burst,vertical or finesse

confidence in an area after an operation ,muscle memory and the subconscious fears take time
these players are so highly tuned ,so interdependent,so focused on by press,opponents  and crowd

isaiah is having a great year since missing 4 games with groin pull-his wrist has fully healed
maybe thats why he is shooting so well
green missed pre season with hip flexor -he is starting to play well

the whole team is playing better after having multiple players out with injuries
kelly seems like a light switch went on -maybe its all come together although too slowly for fans that have no experience playing after injuries as a pro
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:35:42 PM by rollie mass »

Re: talk positive-think cynical
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I guess add Zeller to the list. It's a mystery what has been wrong, but apparently he has been fighting various infections (sinus etc.) for over a month.

If something is off with the body, that has to play with one's muscle memories and general focus.

Injuries and stamina are a big factor in team wins and losses and also with individual player development.

Thanks for the post. You are correct. Avery was just rusty. But the other guys are scrubs and the injuries and illnesses are an excuse. Sounds about right.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Avery gets the benefit of the doubt because he is a more proven contributor than Smart and Crowder
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Apparently Crowder, Olynyk and Smart as chopped liver compared to Bradley neutralizes Rollie's well-thought-out post. Yet Amir also gets no love in regards to the health card despite relatively recently being more proven than Avery.

Avery is rusty. Kelly is soft. Life made simple.

Quote from: GW Bush
See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.

Quote from: Hitler
Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
just read a quote by horford about kelly and the time it takes to really get back-
the bashing of smart and bust label -nobody factored in how stunted his rookie year was with no lift and pain all the way to mid summer-the the fingers not just sprained but ripped out,then a dis located knee-that kid sure goes to war

celticspride -poor zeller with sinus infection and he has quite the nose -sinus infections throw off your balance and can be painfull-
i only used avery as an example of what happens to a great shooter after missing two weeks with a slight achilles--i even thought brad played him to long only because when a shooters missing, it get in their head but brads secret is take it if its the right play-

rolli massimino was like that -only lost it when you played lazy or greedy-going under a screen or forcing a shot -not communicating on defense,watching the ball and getting back cut ,not boxing out,ball denial-

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:32:34 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Apparently Crowder, Olynyk and Smart as chopped liver compared to Bradley neutralizes Rollie's well-thought-out post. Yet Amir also gets no love in regards to the health card despite relatively recently being more proven than Avery.

Avery is rusty. Kelly is soft. Life made simple.

Quote from: GW Bush
See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.

Quote from: Hitler
Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.
Whoa whoa whoa.

Take it easy there. I'm against "keeping it simple" I'm for, discussing all relevant info. Kelly Marcus and Amir have been criticized based on extended periods of play. If Avery sucks for the next month he will be criticized. Also, smart and Olynyk were largely unproven, while Amir is on the back-9 of his career with seemingly chronic foot issues. Avery is proven, in the prime of his career and has 0 history with Achilles injuries.

The situations honestly don't seem that similar to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
It's unfortunate Marcus Smart has recently tailed off for outside shooting. When he piles up a lot of 2-9's, it makes it tough to stick up for him. But he has made advances, enough to suggest he will keep making Bradley styled leaps but in his own way.

Smart is already in the Hall of Fame tier for defense.

I like that he hits his free throws. He has taken too many three pointers or not been good enough at them to justify the shots. But people watching actual games can see he can hold a guy off his hip, can muscle around the rim like D Wade.

I'd like to be able to cherry pick a pool of stats when Marcus was having his best stretch.

It was doubtful he had backup pg skills until this year. That's a leap. Rozier is good too for potential. He is the perfect fourth guard and we have Green and Brown for big shooting guards.

Avery was getting cringe worthy at times, but then it obviously was rust as he was making big plays on defense.

Smart gets ripped off for stats, too, when he becomes the designated loser to take last second heaves.

There is such a thing as intangibles. This I believe. I bet we are doing well in the hockey assist category.

Yes, take the shot if it is there. Orlando with Dwight Howard went with a live or die with three pointers strategy. It was effective, but we were better than them, then Howard starting switching teams. The center position evolved very quickly.

So it is becoming less about stats than in team wins. Mike Gorman after one game rattled off a few Celtics who carried us, and then he said and finished with Marcus Smart was Marcus Smart.

For all intents and purposes, Olynyk, Smart, and Crowder are making leaps.

I hope we keep winning a lot of games with no big injuries.

Jaylen Brown could be the wild card. I believe in this team.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
There should be a stat for the guy who made the play someone missed the shot, but still got fouled. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Olynyk and Smart dominate that stat. It is an intangible statistic. Smart dominates in the hidden statistics. Amir Johnson provides those kind of unrecognized stats that ungrateful fans miss.