Author Topic: What's the most you'd pay for Melo  (Read 5890 times)

Re: What's the most you'd pay for Melo
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sign Noel. Pay Melo to stay in NY.

I think most would like Noel for his D, but Philly is holding out for starting players or a Nets pick--which Ainge won't give for him. It might happen if Philly gives in and takes Rozier and  a non-Nets pick for him.

There is talk on the tweets today about Melo to Boston--mainly that he could be had for not a lot. Phil would like to unload his salary--probably would take some ending contracts and a non- Nets pick for him. Melo would be a nice fit at the 4 for them right now. He's big enough to play the 4. He can take the scoring load off IT before he breaks down. The real problem with Melo is his salary the next 2 years--$27M per. Tough to fit another major player under the cap.

Danny has a lot of thinking to do right now.

Nobody has said they're holding out for the Nets pick for Noel.  Not for half a year.  That's crazy talk. 

Melo isn't coming to Boston.  He doesn't want to come here and we don't want him (at $27 million per year for 2 years).  That would mean adding nobody else next year other than our picks due to cap reasons.   

And who exactly is Boston going to add this summer anyway?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I think most would like Noel for his D, but Philly is holding out for starting players or a Nets pick--which Ainge won't give for him. It might happen if Philly gives in and takes Rozier and  a non-Nets pick for him.

There is talk on the tweets today about Melo to Boston--mainly that he could be had for not a lot. Phil would like to unload his salary--probably would take some ending contracts and a non- Nets pick for him. Melo would be a nice fit at the 4 for them right now. He's big enough to play the 4. He can take the scoring load off IT before he breaks down. The real problem with Melo is his salary the next 2 years--$27M per. Tough to fit another major player under the cap.

Nobody has said they're holding out for the Nets pick for Noel.  Not for half a year.  That's crazy talk. 

Melo isn't coming to Boston.  He doesn't want to come here and we don't want him (at $27 million per year for 2 years).  That would mean adding nobody else next year other than our picks due to cap reasons.   

Who knows, they could add 1 of Hayward, Gallinari, Milsap, Noel, Z. Randolph, Ibaka, Griffin, Gibson. 

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Yeah, the FA pickings aren't great. I think I mentioned a couple in a post on the cap space projections a while back. One was Millsap, another Griffin. Not sure they are in the running for either. Looks as though a trade might be the only way to go.

Nobody knows who Philly wants for Noel. Or what Ainge would give up. Or whether Ainge wants Noel. The rumor mill should be heating up by the end of the month. I'm surprised Ainge hasn't made a deal yet with Zeller now tradeable, and Stevens pretty much at an impasse with the current team.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Who knows, they could add 1 of Hayward, Gallinari, Milsap, Noel, Z. Randolph, Ibaka, Griffin, Gibson.
Only Hayward and Griffin are better than Anthony (Millsap is arguable as well) and it is unlikely that either leaves their current team (Millsap might leave).  Given that why wouldn't you acquire the sure thing that helps you this year rather than wait for a low level might be this summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I've watched a few Demarcus Cousins games this season and I've been turned off, don't want him.  After watching the Indy/NYK game last night, I'm getting close to that point with Carmelo too.  Starting to question whether he can ever play championship-level basketball on a team that isn't stacked with superstars.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I've watched a few Demarcus Cousins games this season and I've been turned off, don't want him.  After watching the Indy/NYK game last night, I'm getting close to that point with Carmelo too.  Starting to question whether he can ever play championship-level basketball on a team that isn't stacked with superstars.

I find it a little humorous that you have already excluded Cousins but you are "almost" to that point with Melo? You are "almost" sure you don't want Melo - I find hilarious. He can "never" lead any team to a Championship unless like you said he is on a team "stacked with superstars". His only shot may be with Cleveland. Maybe LeBron will demand they add Melo to the team.

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I find it a little humorous that you have already excluded Cousins but you are "almost" to that point with Melo? You are "almost" sure you don't want Melo - I find hilarious. He can "never" lead any team to a Championship unless like you said he is on a team "stacked with superstars". His only shot may be with Cleveland. Maybe LeBron will demand they add Melo to the team.

In my defense, I don't get to watch both of them play 82 games a season.  So yeah, I'm a little behind in my convictions probably.

In the games I've watched Demarcus play lately (5 times in the last 12 months or so), I've consistently seen him checking himself out on plays or even entire games.  The impact those decisions have is really obvious to me and something I am strongly against and don't think can produce winning basketball.

In the games I've watched Carmelo play lately (maybe 3-5 times in the past 12 months), I've always known him to be a ball-stopper, but that's not a quality immediately attached to losing -- many teams have won championships with ball-stopping iso players.  It was after the game last night that I'm finding his ball-stopping to be really self-centered and not efficient enough to produce winning playoff basketball.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller, Terry Rozier, Jordan Mickey, and a non-BRK 1st.

This makes sense. Basically players that are not essential for the future. I wouldn't want to trade Smart, Brown, or Brown. I don't think IT and Horford aren't getting moved. Any BKN pick trade with the Knicks needs to include the Zinger.
The only issue with that deal is it saps an already weak/short big man rotation. We'd have like 2 bigs on the roster.

Out of the guys I listed, only Amir is contributing.

The Celts could still flip Jerebko and a 2nd rounder for a rebounder on an expiring deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
In the games I've watched Demarcus play lately (5 times in the last 12 months or so), I've consistently seen him checking himself out on plays or even entire games.  The impact those decisions have is really obvious to me and something I am strongly against and don't think can produce winning basketball.

In the games I've watched Carmelo play lately (maybe 3-5 times in the past 12 months), I've always known him to be a ball-stopper, but that's not a quality immediately attached to losing -- many teams have won championships with ball-stopping iso players.  It was after the game last night that I'm finding his ball-stopping to be really self-centered and not efficient enough to produce winning playoff basketball.

I think Cousins checks himself out on occasion because he is so disappointed in the rest of his team - the fact that he has to do everything by himself and even battle against the refs. If he was in a "winning" situation with a real "team" I feel he would react much better. That is my opinion. I have never seen Melo as a star. He is a player with great talent that is more inclined to be part of the "cool guys coalition" (LeBron, CP3, Wade, etc.) than a player that is willing to make others better on his team in order to win ballgames.

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Winning an NBA championship is a war. It's about teams making continual adjustments, leadership, character, and players excepting responsibilities out of their comfort zone. It's about giving yourself for the team, and where player short comings are magnified on National TV.

I'm not sure Melo has what it takes to give 100%... for 100% of his playing minutes. Melo's best game is years behind him, he's very content to go through the motions of being a celebrity star on the biggest stage in the world, New York City.

I'll pass.