Author Topic: What's the most you'd pay for Melo  (Read 5881 times)

Re: What's the most you'd pay for Melo
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Pay him to stay in NY

FOREVER

I was taking a nice rip, when I read that mate, busted out laughing!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I don't want Melo either, however if we could get him on the cheap and he agreed to be the sixth man role or anything coach asked you have to consider him.

If it was Amir, Jonas, Rozier two non Nets picks wood you do it.

Or Amir, Crowder, Memphis first do you pull the trigger still.
For either of those packages, I pull the trigger.  The most I'd offer is Crowder, Rozier, Amir, Jonas, 2018 Boston pick.

Remember you have to match salaries within 25%.  Then you lost all your future flexibility for a guy on the backside of his career.  He makes $26-28mm over the next 3 years.  How do you pay IT, Smart etc?
Flexibility for next offseason is a question for sure.  But then the question is would you prefer the chance of getting (or not getting) Gordon Hayward or being assured Carmelo?  I could see people being split on that choice.

How do you pay IT, Smart, etc?  With bird rights.  Considering how fast the CBA wrapped up and how high the cap has gone, you can be assured that NBA owners are doing VERY well right now.  Wyc has shown a willingness to pay when the team is a contender. 

Overall, I would unenthusiastically pull the trigger.  We need to condense assets.  Based on his Olympic play last summer, I think he's still better than people are giving him credit for (although playing beneath his level is quite concerning).  Ray Allen and KG were within a year of Carmelo's current age when we acquired both of them and we got 5 good years out of them.  I'd be very OK not pulling the trigger and staying on course though.
Good point.  Carmelo is as good as, or better than any elite FA out there.  If you like Carmelo, then there's less of a need for flexibility to sign a FA in the summer.
He doesn't add enough for us to give up flexibility. He has resorted to his ball-stopping ways. He won't help us when you consider the salary we will have to shed and his salary while in decline.

Let New York deal with that problem. He would not be a net positive. I don't see why Stevens would be interested.

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm not a huge fan, but I'd take Melo at the right price.  Unfortunately, his salary makes it impossible to find the necessary outgoing salary at the right price.

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller, Terry Rozier, Jordan Mickey, and a non-BRK 1st.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Why would we want a primadonna such as Melo on this team with his horrendous salary?  He does NOT make us a better rebounding team in any way.

Smitty77

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
James Young but only if he comes with Kristap

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 11:58:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

This makes sense. Basically players that are not essential for the future. I wouldn't want to trade Smart, Brown, or Brown. I don't think IT and Horford aren't getting moved. Any BKN pick trade with the Knicks needs to include the Zinger.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Sign Noel. Pay Melo to stay in NY.

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

This makes sense. Basically players that are not essential for the future. I wouldn't want to trade Smart, Brown, or Brown. I don't think IT and Horford aren't getting moved. Any BKN pick trade with the Knicks needs to include the Zinger.
The only issue with that deal is it saps an already weak/short big man rotation. We'd have like 2 bigs on the roster.

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Why would we want a primadonna such as Melo on this team with his horrendous salary?  He does NOT make us a better rebounding team in any way.

Smitty77
He is a better rebounder than Crowder and Brown, so he would seemingly improve that position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I think most would like Noel for his D, but Philly is holding out for starting players or a Nets pick--which Ainge won't give for him. It might happen if Philly gives in and takes Rozier and  a non-Nets pick for him.

There is talk on the tweets today about Melo to Boston--mainly that he could be had for not a lot. Phil would like to unload his salary--probably would take some ending contracts and a non- Nets pick for him. Melo would be a nice fit at the 4 for them right now. He's big enough to play the 4. He can take the scoring load off IT before he breaks down. The real problem with Melo is his salary the next 2 years--$27M per. Tough to fit another major player under the cap.

Danny has a lot of thinking to do right now.

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I would want a first round pick from the Knicks to take Melo's bloated contract.

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I think most would like Noel for his D, but Philly is holding out for starting players or a Nets pick--which Ainge won't give for him. It might happen if Philly gives in and takes Rozier and  a non-Nets pick for him.

There is talk on the tweets today about Melo to Boston--mainly that he could be had for not a lot. Phil would like to unload his salary--probably would take some ending contracts and a non- Nets pick for him. Melo would be a nice fit at the 4 for them right now. He's big enough to play the 4. He can take the scoring load off IT before he breaks down. The real problem with Melo is his salary the next 2 years--$27M per. Tough to fit another major player under the cap.

Danny has a lot of thinking to do right now.

Nobody has said they're holding out for the Nets pick for Noel.  Not for half a year.  That's crazy talk. 

Melo isn't coming to Boston.  He doesn't want to come here and we don't want him (at $27 million per year for 2 years).  That would mean adding nobody else next year other than our picks due to cap reasons.   

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

My offer was similar but I included Crowder  instead of Amir because he not going to be happy if Melo came here.

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)