Author Topic: What's the most you'd pay for Melo  (Read 5892 times)

What's the most you'd pay for Melo
« on: January 18, 2017, 04:34:51 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I don't want Melo either, however if we could get him on the cheap and he agreed to be the sixth man role or anything coach asked you have to consider him.

If it was Amir, Jonas, Rozier two non Nets picks wood you do it.

Or Amir, Crowder, Memphis first do you pull the trigger still.

Re: What's the most you'd pay for Melo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
This guy seems like the go-to guy we need but I don't know if Melo strikes me as a Celtic because of his dislike of rings. I do think he has heart, but would you say he was ever as clutch as Pierce? No, right? I'm not giving them anything for Melo. Why help a Division rival to upstart a rebuild anyway?

They need to go ahead and swap Melo with Griffin BOTH need a change of scenery. They need to realize that it's not happening with Blake. Sad to say, but the Clippers best chance at a title at this point is to at least have two pieces of the Banana boat posse. At the very least it will heavily entice Wade and LeBron.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:47:25 AM by CelticGuardian »

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'd trade young for him... I would... I swear, I would... 

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:57:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Remember you have to match salaries within 25%.  Then you lost all your future flexibility for a guy on the backside of his career.  He makes $26-28mm over the next 3 years.  How do you pay IT, Smart etc?

In any case, I would not do it.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
if the knicks throw in porzingis, I might consider it  ;D

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:19:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@KGLL i dont want a trade for melo to kill both our depth and our chances and of landing an elite FA this summer.

I would only consider this if the resulting situation turned us into contenders, but this seems unlikely.

PS afaik Melo said he is interested in cleveland and clippers only.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I don't want Melo either, however if we could get him on the cheap and he agreed to be the sixth man role or anything coach asked you have to consider him.

If he was this type of player then the Knicks wouldn't be considering offloading him

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would have loved to have had Melo here when he was younger but I really do not think he offers that much value to us anymore.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nothing

He does not belong on the Celtics

Period

He should go play for the Lakers or Clippers......and keep THEM down.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
$5.48

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd easily do any of the trades in the opening thread. 

Anthony is scoring 22.2 ppg on 18.4 shots with a TS% of 53.7%.  That TS% isn't all that far behind guys like Al Horford, but Anthony has a much larger load.  His AST% is 15.8 of Boston's regulars that would rank 4th behind just Thomas, Horford, and Smart.  His TRB% is better than Crowder and Brown so he would add to that position.  He is getting those numbers playing significant minutes with Noah, Jennings, and Rose who just aren't very good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

For either of those packages, I pull the trigger.  The most I'd offer is Crowder, Rozier, Amir, Jonas, 2018 Boston pick.

Remember you have to match salaries within 25%.  Then you lost all your future flexibility for a guy on the backside of his career.  He makes $26-28mm over the next 3 years.  How do you pay IT, Smart etc?
Flexibility for next offseason is a question for sure.  But then the question is would you prefer the chance of getting (or not getting) Gordon Hayward or being assured Carmelo?  I could see people being split on that choice.

How do you pay IT, Smart, etc?  With bird rights.  Considering how fast the CBA wrapped up and how high the cap has gone, you can be assured that NBA owners are doing VERY well right now.  Wyc has shown a willingness to pay when the team is a contender. 

Overall, I would unenthusiastically pull the trigger.  We need to condense assets.  Based on his Olympic play last summer, I think he's still better than people are giving him credit for (although playing beneath his level is quite concerning).  Ray Allen and KG were within a year of Carmelo's current age when we acquired both of them and we got 5 good years out of them.  I'd be very OK not pulling the trigger and staying on course though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't see the point of talking about Melo here.
There are only cons with no pros. Honestly, not even his offense is a + for us. He will kill our ball movement and team chemistry. I'm not talking about morgaging cap space + giving up salary in return that will create a hole somewhere else in our roster.
Clearly only bad reasons, nothing good.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
same as lopez, a mop and a bucket!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

For either of those packages, I pull the trigger.  The most I'd offer is Crowder, Rozier, Amir, Jonas, 2018 Boston pick.

Flexibility for next offseason is a question for sure.  But then the question is would you prefer the chance of getting (or not getting) Gordon Hayward or being assured Carmelo?  I could see people being split on that choice.

How do you pay IT, Smart, etc?  With bird rights.  Considering how fast the CBA wrapped up and how high the cap has gone, you can be assured that NBA owners are doing VERY well right now.  Wyc has shown a willingness to pay when the team is a contender. 

Overall, I would unenthusiastically pull the trigger.  We need to condense assets.  Based on his Olympic play last summer, I think he's still better than people are giving him credit for (although playing beneath his level is quite concerning).  Ray Allen and KG were within a year of Carmelo's current age when we acquired both of them and we got 5 good years out of them.  I'd be very OK not pulling the trigger and staying on course though.
Good point.  Carmelo is as good as, or better than any elite FA out there.  If you like Carmelo, then there's less of a need for flexibility to sign a FA in the summer.