Author Topic: What's the most you'd pay for Melo  (Read 5931 times)

Re: What's the most you'd pay for Melo
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd definitely prefer to take my chances on Hayward.  He's younger and could fit in with the scheme.  Anyone expecting Anthony to suddenly change the way he plays after all these years of doing things his way is delusional.  Even if he ends up on a stacked team, maybe he will get less shot attempts but he's going to play the same way.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
If we could trade Roz and some future protected draft picks for him then I'm in but I wouldn't give up any big time players or valuable future assets such as the Nets picks for him.

It all depends on if the Knicks are forced to trade him and if we get a steal for him.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
yabu rozier amir zeller and a late pick

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
in my honest opinion, if we are going with Melo, we cannot overpay (which is not possible almost) because at Melo and Horford's age, getting Melo instantly puts us in a win-now mode, so we must use the rest of our assets to surround them with quality players. Crowder/Brown -> one of those guys are probably going to get traded, and it's going to be a hard one but I think the Knicks probably want Brown as he is younger. That leaves us with Crowder coming off the bench as a 3 and D guy. That now leaves, we probably need to use other assets to get like a big. I don't know how we can do this

so if I were to low ball -> Rozier/late 1st/Zeller/Amir

Melo plays power and Horford plays the 5.

IT4/AB/Crowder/Melo/Horford

so now you have another go-to-scorer next to IT4, double teaming IT4 for opposing teams is now a risk

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd definitely prefer to take my chances on Hayward.  He's younger and could fit in with the scheme.  Anyone expecting Anthony to suddenly change the way he plays after all these years of doing things his way is delusional.  Even if he ends up on a stacked team, maybe he will get less shot attempts but he's going to play the same way.
Anthony would be Boston's 2nd leading scorer, 3rd leading rebounder, 4th leading assist man, 3rd leading steal generator, and tied for 4th leading block man based on his numbers on a much worse team in NY (though a better rebounding team).  He gets to the line more than twice as often as every single person on Boston outside of Thomas. 

This notion that Anthony is a ball stopping ball hog that doesn't do anything else just isn't borne in reality. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Anthony would be Boston's 2nd leading scorer, 3rd leading rebounder, 4th leading assist man, 3rd leading steal generator, and tied for 4th leading block man based on his numbers on a much worse team in NY (though a better rebounding team).  He gets to the line more than twice as often as every single person on Boston outside of Thomas. 

This notion that Anthony is a ball stopping ball hog that doesn't do anything else just isn't borne in reality.

I agree...I think he would be reenergized here...and could really be a great #2 option during the playoffs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:34:20 AM by The One »

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
in my honest opinion, if we are going with Melo, we cannot overpay (which is not possible almost) because at Melo and Horford's age, getting Melo instantly puts us in a win-now mode, so we must use the rest of our assets to surround them with quality players. Crowder/Brown -> one of those guys are probably going to get traded, and it's going to be a hard one but I think the Knicks probably want Brown as he is younger. That leaves us with Crowder coming off the bench as a 3 and D guy. That now leaves, we probably need to use other assets to get like a big. I don't know how we can do this

so if I were to low ball -> Rozier/late 1st/Zeller/Amir

Melo plays power and Horford plays the 5.

IT4/AB/Crowder/Melo/Horford

so now you have another go-to-scorer next to IT4, double teaming IT4 for opposing teams is now a risk
Boston has enough extra 1st's that it can throw in 2 or 3 and still have some prime assets. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Nothing

He does not belong on the Celtics

Period

He should go play for the Lakers or Clippers......and keep THEM down.

TP. Just like Rondo I might add.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Not a fit.

Ballstopper, as Phil Jackson said publicly; and lacks commitment to team D, as George Karl said in his recent book - as if those things were not already obvious.

So... Boston is going to pay a 32/33 yr old a whole ton of money to screw up their team game?  Shouldn't happen, won't happen, and it's not a question of how little you'd have to give up to get him.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
You get a tommy point for bringing Melo up--it's on the tweets and I was going to throw it out there when I saw this.

I'm not saying it makes much sense to get him--it's just a suitable thread topic. Considering they certainly need one more player at this point.

Melo can fill a stat sheet, and is the kind of 4 who can help them up front, too.  But he's old and expensive--his NY salary is about the size of a Reuben sandwich (you know that's big if you're from NY).

I don't know how they could fit him under the cap, and still have room for another major player next year. That's the question.  A rental for this year would be nice, but his contract doesn't warrant that. I doubt Phil would expect a Nets pick for him--he'd be happy just to have him off the books and maybe a lower pick and some cap fodder for rebuilding.

This poisonality, shot hog stuff I discount. Heck, IT is a shot hog. He would welcome it. Two hogs are better than one. Right, Curry/Durant?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:25:24 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't want him on the team, so I would offer a secound rounder.

A more serious offer would be  Memphis 1st plus cap filler.  The filler would be like Crowder, Amir and Young.  But I do not want the guy on this team, so I gave a lowball offer.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yeah, Melo may be a ball stopper, but he's still putting up 22.2 PPG, 6.0 RPG, and 3.1 APG, which are still pretty darn good.

You cannot deny Anthony is a tad bit of a ball hog, but he's always been the best player and by a far margin on most of his teams.

I would say the duo of Thomas and Horford put together would create a team better than Melo has ever had.

Great players do well when associated next to other great players. There's only one ball, but its great when your best 3 players are all above average passers for their position.

Ideally, I would rather sell the farm to try to see if we can plug in someone like PG13 into our offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yeah, Melo may be a ball stopper, but he's still putting up 22.2 PPG, 6.0 RPG, and 3.1 APG, which are still pretty darn good.

You cannot deny Anthony is a tad bit of a ball hog, but he's always been the best player and by a far margin on most of his teams.

I would say the duo of Thomas and Horford put together would create a team better than Melo has ever had.

Great players do well when associated next to other great players. There's only one ball, but its great when your best 3 players are all above average passers for their position.

Ideally, I would rather sell the farm to try to see if we can plug in someone like PG13 into our offense.
Yeah, Melo is very flawed. Hes a ball stopper, I could easily see him being a teammate issue, but he would still immediately become our second best scorer, and I think he could even be our best rebounder and right now our two biggest issues are that we lack rebounding and a secondary scoring threat.

I think hed help up but not enough to justify giving up big assets for him. Especially because he puts you in cap jail and doesnt make you a contender.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Melo is another player ( along with Cousins who is going to sign that 200 million contract extension this summer) who isn't going anywhere because he can control where he goes and he wants to be in NY.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Pay him to stay in NY

FOREVER