Author Topic: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?  (Read 4410 times)

Re: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't think they'll steamroll the league.  While there's only a few teams that can hang with them, most of them are out West.  Look at their record when playing other teams even close to their league:

They're 1-1 against Cleveland
They're 0-1 against San Antonio
They're 0-1 against Houston
They're 1-0 against LAC

Chances are they're going to have to face 3 of those 4 teams, and they haven't steamrolled them so far.  Though maybe I'll change my opinion once they get a few more games under their belt with the other tough teams in the West.

And believe it or not, short of the Grizzlies falling to #8, I think the Kings or Pelicans playing well and moving into the #8 could keep the Warriors honest.  Not that either would stand a chance to take the series, but rather, having a dominant low post force like Cousins or Davis to deal with would make the Warriors at least have to keep their starters on the floor for 35+mpg, and maybe play at least 5 games.  Davis for instance is averaging 35/13 against the Warriors in 3 close-ish games (Cousins has only had 1 poor game against them so far).

It could very well line up that they have to face LAC, SAS, and CLE back-to-back-to-back, which is a pretty tough road.  No doubt GS is the favorites, but all 3 of those teams could give them a series, and I wouldn't be surprised for any one of them to pull off an upset.

GS is the favorite, but I'm not ready to hand them the title.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:23:48 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Their weaknesses in size, rebounding, and defense will be more exposed in the playoffs when the game changes.

I think that it's most likely to be the Cavs/Warriors in the Finals again, but I think there are more teams in the West with legitimate shots of knocking off the Warriors than the Cavs have in the East, which could play a role in who takes the championship.

Toronto and Boston could make things really difficult for Cleveland, but barring any other moves, it's hard to see either of them winning four of seven. On the other hand, I think SAS, Houston, Memphis, Utah, LAC, and OKC can all make a series with the Warriors, and SAS, Houston, and Memphis, and possibly even LAC, all have a legitimate possibility of knocking off the Warriors.
You think the Celtics are going to be a tough out for the Cavs?

We will be lucky to get more then a game off the Cavs.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Their weaknesses in size, rebounding, and defense will be more exposed in the playoffs when the game changes.

I think that it's most likely to be the Cavs/Warriors in the Finals again, but I think there are more teams in the West with legitimate shots of knocking off the Warriors than the Cavs have in the East, which could play a role in who takes the championship.

Toronto and Boston could make things really difficult for Cleveland, but barring any other moves, it's hard to see either of them winning four of seven. On the other hand, I think SAS, Houston, Memphis, Utah, LAC, and OKC can all make a series with the Warriors, and SAS, Houston, and Memphis, and possibly even LAC, all have a legitimate possibility of knocking off the Warriors.

I think that's pessimistic. Both of our games in Cleveland were close, and one of them we were without Al and Jae. It's still possible that a healthy Celtics team takes the remaining twoCleveland games in Boston to even up the series.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With their amount of talent, they should win 3 or 4 in a row. Anything less than that is underachieving.

What they said about the Heat.  Depends on how long they can hang onto their talent under the salary cap.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I think that's pessimistic. Both of our games in Cleveland were close, and one of them we were without Al and Jae. It's still possible that a healthy Celtics team takes the remaining twoCleveland games in Boston to even up the series.

Nah. Cleveland wasn't even trying that playoff series. Also, whenever they play us, they lull us back into the game. They're in so much control. Hard to imagine us tying the series 2-2. I think at best we can take them to 5

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

IT4 is going to have to drop 40-44 a game.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think they'll steamroll the league.  While there's only a few teams that can hang with them, most of them are out West.  Look at their record when playing other teams even close to their league:

They're 1-0 against LAC

Chances are they're going to have to face 3 of those 4 teams, and they haven't steamrolled them so far.  Though maybe I'll change my opinion once they get a few more games under their belt with the other tough teams in the West.

And believe it or not, short of the Grizzlies falling to #8, I think the Kings or Pelicans playing well and moving into the #8 could keep the Warriors honest.  Not that either would stand a chance to take the series, but rather, having a dominant low post force like Cousins or Davis to deal with would make the Warriors at least have to keep their starters on the floor for 35+mpg, and maybe play at least 5 games.  Davis for instance is averaging 35/13 in 3 games against the Warriors in 3 close-ish games (Cousins has only had 1 poor game against them so far).

It could very well line up that they have to face LAC, SAS, and CLE back-to-back-to-back, which is a pretty tough road.  No doubt GS is the favorites, but all 3 of those teams could give them a series, and I wouldn't be surprised for any one of them to pull off an upset.

This is an interesting take. I thought Memphis has traditionally given Golden State competitive games. Why more concern for them facing pelicans or sacramento?

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

They're 1-0 against LAC

And believe it or not, short of the Grizzlies falling to #8, I think the Kings or Pelicans playing well and moving into the #8 could keep the Warriors honest.  Not that either would stand a chance to take the series, but rather, having a dominant low post force like Cousins or Davis to deal with would make the Warriors at least have to keep their starters on the floor for 35+mpg, and maybe play at least 5 games.  Davis for instance is averaging 35/13 in 3 games against the Warriors in 3 close-ish games (Cousins has only had 1 poor game against them so far).

This is an interesting take. I thought Memphis has traditionally given Golden State competitive games. Why more concern for them facing pelicans or sacramento?

Oh, Memphis is definitely the tougher matchup of the 3, I just think it's least likely that a healthy Memphis meets GS in the playoffs, as Memphis looks pretty solid in that 5-7 slot (being 4 games out of #4 and 7 games ahead of #8).   I think it's more likely that SAC or NO gets the #8 seed (being 0.5 and 1.5 games out) and meets GS in round 1, than Memphis upsetting 1-2 teams to meet GS in round 2 or the WCF.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:58:33 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I think the Cavs should be the favorites because they are best suited for playoff basketball. Warriors will live and die by the 3 like they did last year.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
People forget that the Spurs and Rockets are each within 4.5 games of the Warriors (Spurs only 3 back). It's not like the Warriors are running away with the West either.

Also, Charles Barkley on TNT made a pretty going point a while ago. The Warriors win a lot of games by outscoring their opponent (scoring 120+ per game usually). It probably won't work too well after 82 games in the season and when injuries/fatigue hit. It's to the point where if the Warriors aren't scoring more than 110, they usually lose, because their defense isn't great either.

Also they lack size and bench depth. We saw what happened once Bogut went down last season and Green was suspended that one game. The Cavaliers bullied the Warriors and even Lebron played the 4 more because it created a huge mismatch in Cleveland's favor.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
People forget that the Spurs and Rockets are each within 4.5 games of the Warriors (Spurs only 3 back). It's not like the Warriors are running away with the West either.

Also, Charles Barkley on TNT made a pretty going point a while ago. The Warriors win a lot of games by outscoring their opponent (scoring 120+ per game usually). It probably won't work too well after 82 games in the season and when injuries/fatigue hit. It's to the point where if the Warriors aren't scoring more than 110, they usually lose, because their defense isn't great either.

Also they lack size and bench depth. We saw what happened once Bogut went down last season and Green was suspended that one game. The Cavaliers bullied the Warriors and even Lebron played the 4 more because it created a huge mismatch in Cleveland's favor.

We are only 3.5 behind the Cavs  ;D

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

We are only 3.5 behind the Cavs  ;D

Raptors are 2 games behind the Cavs lol.

Cavaliers and Warriors still the favorites in each conference, but neither is running away as of yet.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I'm surprised by the comments. GS is 35-6 at exactly the halfway point, so they are on a 70 win pace. This is a group that should improve quite a bit from here.

LeBron is almost 4 years older than Durant. Age has always worked in LeBron's favor so far. If you had to guess when that would start to work in reverse, wouldn't it be around now?

Unless one of their big 4 gets hurt, I think it is very unlikely anyone can stop them.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Let us not forget that the Warriors held a 3-1 lead against the Cavs in last years finals. Promptly after obtaining that 3-1 lead, they went on to lose their next 3 games which resulted in a championship victory for the Cavs. As the forever great Kevin Garnet said in a similar championship setting "Anything Is Possible", but in this situation he almost certainty was referring to the "Rags to Riches" championship run of the 2007-2008 season. However, one could argue that this was just some amazing foresight by Kevin Garnet that predicted the eventual collapse of the Warriors in the 2016 NBA season. Some teams might take these words to heart and, in turn, prompt their own championship run against the Warriors.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Playoffs are still 4 months away and a lot of factors are still to be determined like trades and most specially injuries.

And just as always .the last team standing in June is the one decimated less by injuries.

Youd think the Warriors win in 2015 with Kyrie healthy?
How bout in 2016 when Bogut went out and Iggy and Steph not really fully healthy.

Yes its always about health and this yr wont be an exemption..heck even I like our chances against the raptors as long as our top 8 players are fully healthy...now for the Cs to beat the Cavs..unfortunately Kyrie must go down or we have no chance.