Author Topic: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?  (Read 4435 times)

Re: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the game slows down in the playoffs.

Until GS shows they can handle the slow half court grinding game that CAVS bring in the playoffs I am not ready to hand anything to them.

There is no doubt that they have the best collection of superstars in the league though.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Their weaknesses in size, rebounding, and defense will be more exposed in the playoffs when the game changes.

I think that it's most likely to be the Cavs/Warriors in the Finals again, but I think there are more teams in the West with legitimate shots of knocking off the Warriors than the Cavs have in the East, which could play a role in who takes the championship.

Toronto and Boston could make things really difficult for Cleveland, but barring any other moves, it's hard to see either of them winning four of seven. On the other hand, I think SAS, Houston, Memphis, Utah, LAC, and OKC can all make a series with the Warriors, and SAS, Houston, and Memphis, and possibly even LAC, all have a legitimate possibility of knocking off the Warriors.
You think the Celtics are going to be a tough out for the Cavs?

We will be lucky to get more then a game off the Cavs.

I think that's pessimistic. Both of our games in Cleveland were close, and one of them we were without Al and Jae. It's still possible that a healthy Celtics team takes the remaining twoCleveland games in Boston to even up the series.

I think we'd be tough in the sense of giving them a fight and making them earn their wins, but not in the sense of ever really having a chance to take the series.

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Their weaknesses in size, rebounding, and defense will be more exposed in the playoffs when the game changes.

I think that it's most likely to be the Cavs/Warriors in the Finals again, but I think there are more teams in the West with legitimate shots of knocking off the Warriors than the Cavs have in the East, which could play a role in who takes the championship.

Toronto and Boston could make things really difficult for Cleveland, but barring any other moves, it's hard to see either of them winning four of seven. On the other hand, I think SAS, Houston, Memphis, Utah, LAC, and OKC can all make a series with the Warriors, and SAS, Houston, and Memphis, and possibly even LAC, all have a legitimate possibility of knocking off the Warriors.
You think the Celtics are going to be a tough out for the Cavs?

We will be lucky to get more then a game off the Cavs.

I think that's pessimistic. Both of our games in Cleveland were close, and one of them we were without Al and Jae. It's still possible that a healthy Celtics team takes the remaining twoCleveland games in Boston to even up the series.

I think we'd be tough in the sense of giving them a fight and making them earn their wins, but not in the sense of ever really having a chance to take the series.
I tend to agree, though I do wonder if Cleveland is fully vested in regular season games at all aside from a random game here and there, like Golden State in Cleveland on Christmas.  I just don't think the Cavs care very much about the regular season.  They are just going through the motions and trying not to get major injuries until the playoffs.  So I do wonder a bit just how close Boston can keep the games when Cleveland cares.  I'd like to think Boston could play them tough and maybe win a game or two, but I just don't know if that is possible (assuming both teams are at full strength of course).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'll take the Cavs vs GS who I think made a mistake in getting KD at the expense of its overall roster.

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'll take the Cavs vs GS who I think made a mistake in getting KD at the expense of its overall roster.
On this year and last year team
Curry
Thompson
Green
Iguodala
Livingston
Clark
Varejao
Looney (though hurt last year)
McAdoo

New  2016/17 players
Durant
Pachulia
West
McGee
McCaw (rookie)
Jones (rookie)

Lost 2015/16 players
Barnes
Bogut
Barbosa
Ezeli
Speights
Rush

I'd say this years team is better than last years team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
the game slows down in the playoffs.

Until GS shows they can handle the slow half court grinding game that CAVS bring in the playoffs I am not ready to hand anything to them.

There is no doubt that they have the best collection of superstars in the league though.

They should be a great half court team though? Nobody in the league moves the ball better than the Warriors. If the games slow down, they can always go to Curry and Durant pick and roll...Don't understand where the they can't play when the game slows down talk is coming from.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
We had similar conversations last year  ::)

GSW is the favourite but CLE has an excellent team too.

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
As an afterthought, it is also too early to rule out all other teams, esp. Houston. They are playing great basketball this year, even when they miss key players ̣̣(Capela, Beverley)- the only irreplaceable is obviously Harden. Their depth willl be an advantage in the playoffs.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
If I had to bet on one team, it would easily be Golden State.

That said, yesterday was at the end of a long road trip,
and the Cavs looked pretty uninterested by even the second quarter.  I wouldn't expect a game anything like yesterday in the playoffs.

The way I look at it, if both teams are at their best, the Warriors win in an entertaining series.  But if the Cavs are at their best while the Warriors are a notch below (be it injury, coaching, whatever), the Cavs could very much win.  There isn't much breathing room for Golden State if both teams bring their A-games.  (Of course, if something goes wrong for Cleveland, it could be a sweep.)

On the other hand, if the Celtics made the final vs. the Warriors, I don't think they'd win even with an injury to Curry or KD.  It might make the series more competitive, but it'd take multiple breaks for Boston to have a chance.

Except they had 2 full days rest since their previous game in Sacramento, a hop away. And a full days rest before the previous game to that in Portland.

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Barring injuries or a LeBronian miracle, it's in the bag.

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:02 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Barring injuries or a LeBronian miracle, it's in the bag.

that s not a falaifiable prediction.

it s equivalent to saying, maybe they win it or maybe they dont win it.