Author Topic: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?  (Read 4446 times)

Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I know it is really hard to not overreact after one game, so I definitely don't think they are guaranteed to steamroll the entire league. That being said last night they really looked the best they have all season. Curry looked like him old self from the last couple of years. Green and Durant were everywhere on defense. Zaza looked servicable on the glass.

On the flip side Korver looked like some one pulled from a rec league trying to play defense and for the first time I can ever remember thinking it Thompson looked kind of small.

I imagine both teams will make a small move approaching the deadline, but did anyone else watch last night and have the feeling it was really hard to imagine the Warriors losing 4 games in a series?

Edit: I realize most people watched the Celtics. I didn't have a telecast for that available to me last night so watched the Warriors on national tv.

Re: Who thinks the Warriors won't win the chip?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think they are the favorites as theyve been all year,  but last night didnt change things too much for me.

Cleveland has a shot if Kyrie recreates last years finals, Steph does too, and Lebron goes God-mode.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
can't see them losing a 7 game series when healthy. 

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

I can't see them not choking a 7 game series when healthy.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Barring serious injury, I believe about 99.9999999999999% of knowledgeable NBA fans figured the Warriors to be a LOCK for the championship BEFORE the season even began!  Really doubt there will be many replies to your post, unless they're some SERIOUS homers/dreamers.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If I had to bet on one team, it would easily be Golden State.

That said, yeaterday was at the end of a long road trip, and the Cavs looked pretty uninterested by even the second quarter.  I wouldn't expect a game anything like yesterday in the playoffs.

The way I look at it, if both teams are at their best, the Warriors win in an entertaining series.  But if the Cavs are at their best while the Warriors are a notch below (be it injury, coaching, whatever), the Cavs could very much win.  There isn't much breathing room for Golden State if both teams bring their A-games.  (Of course, if something goes wrong for Cleveland, it could be a sweep.)

On the other hand, if the Celtics made the final vs. the Warriors, I don't think they'd win even with an injury to Curry or KD.  It might make the series more competitive, but it'd take multiple breaks for Boston to have a chance.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

You are saying you expect the warriors to lose?

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

People have already forgotten they came from down 3-1 immediately before they blew the 3-1 lead. You'd think they'd never have won a series from some of the red-hot takes out there.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If I had to bet on one team, it would easily be Golden State.

That said, yeaterday was at the end of a long road trip, and the Cavs looked pretty uninterested by even the second quarter.  I wouldn't expect a game anything like yesterday in the playoffs.

The way I look at it, if both teams are at their best, the Warriors win in an entertaining series.  But if the Cavs are at their best while the Warriors are a notch below (be it injury, coaching, whatever), the Cavs could very much win.  There isn't much breathing room for Golden State if both teams bring their A-games.  (Of course, if something goes wrong for Cleveland, it could be a sweep.)

On the other hand, if the Celtics made the final vs. the Warriors, I don't think they'd win even with an injury to Curry or KD.  It might make the series more competitive, but it'd take multiple breaks for Boston to have a chance.
That is how I read the game as well.  Heck Love only played 16 minutes.  Love, James, and Irving were a combined 13 of 43 in the game. 

I actually thought the Cavs might try some gamesmanship and rest their big 3 entirely, just to mess with the Warriors a bit, since I think it was pretty much expected that GS was going to win that game no matter what.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With their amount of talent, they should win 3 or 4 in a row. Anything less than that is underachieving.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Does Draymond get suspended again?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Imo, they're only going to get better as we progress through the season. I'm actually rooting for the Warriors. Lebron makes dream teams all the time. It's time he gets a taste of his own medicine. Think about it? If we were built like the Warriors organically, you wouldn't think it's fair game to add Durant when Lebron has already done it twice? People forget how Lebron left a sinking ship in Miami for Irving, and KLove. By the way, Love was a top ten player before he was traded to the Cavs.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't trust them enough to call it a lock.

I think they are too small (smaller then last year)

I think they better be the favorites, but a lock, no such thing.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Their weaknesses in size, rebounding, and defense will be more exposed in the playoffs when the game changes.

I think that it's most likely to be the Cavs/Warriors in the Finals again, but I think there are more teams in the West with legitimate shots of knocking off the Warriors than the Cavs have in the East, which could play a role in who takes the championship.

Toronto and Boston could make things really difficult for Cleveland, but barring any other moves, it's hard to see either of them winning four of seven. On the other hand, I think SAS, Houston, Memphis, Utah, LAC, and OKC can all make a series with the Warriors, and SAS, Houston, and Memphis, and possibly even LAC, all have a legitimate possibility of knocking off the Warriors.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

People have already forgotten they came from down 3-1 immediately before they blew the 3-1 lead. You'd think they'd never have won a series from some of the red-hot takes out there.

Context is important. They came back against the guy that joined their team, but both parties choked against LeBron. GSW wasn't exactly dominant in their run in 2015, they shouldn't have struggled putting away such a hobbled team.