Author Topic: Caleb Swanigan (18+pts, 12+rebs, 40+3p%)  (Read 11210 times)

Re: Cuckoo for Caleb
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He's already a better shooter than Sully, and seems committed to conditioning in a way Sully couldn't manage.  Did have 7 turnovers last night, so that's something to watch, but at the NBA level he won't be a focal point like he is at Purdue.

I agree he and Sully are not identical but he will fill same niche as sully in the NBA. At similar stages of development I would say Sully had better BBball I!, was a more active defender, and created is own offense better. Caleb is a superior shooter, is much better conditioned, and has superior length.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Cuckoo for Caleb (18.8pts & 12.7rebs as of 1.25.17)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was thinking about Caleb yesterday and then David Lee and how they remind me of one another.

Both PF/Cs. A combo big. In between both positions, not natural at either. As a PF, they are too slow and vulnerable defensively. At C, they are too small. A strong rebounder. Offensively, Caleb as a C, like David Lee in that D'Antoni Knicks offense, would be a nightmare to defend because of his ability to play in the high post and perimeter and go past slower players. As a PF, not as dangerous because PFs are better able to defend out on the floor but still a plus offensive player.

As draft prospects they remind me of each other too. Both got slept on. Caleb should be a mid to late first. David Lee should have been a mid first. Instead was a 2nd rounder and Caleb is being billed as a 2nd rounder too. Both fell because of their lack of athleticism and defensive concerns but not enough attention to their strengths and what they can do to help a team.

Anyway, that was the comparison that came to mind when I was thinking about Caleb yesterday.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 12:21:45 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
This kid overcame obesity and homelessness!!!  I showed this clip to my Human Services' class since it is so inspirational!!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18523734/purdue-caleb-swanigan-overcoming-obesity-homelessness-become-big-nba-prospect

Smitty77

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This kid overcame obesity and homelessness!!!  I showed this clip to my Human Services' class since it is so inspirational!!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18523734/purdue-caleb-swanigan-overcoming-obesity-homelessness-become-big-nba-prospect

Smitty77

I like him too with our 2nd.

He is on TV at 430 tomorrow on BTN.

Re: Cuckoo for Caleb (18.9pts & 12.9rebs as of 2.2.17)
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Crushed it again yesterday.

24pts and 16rebs against #25 Nebraska.

Oh and he was 50% from 3 point land.

He is having a GREAT season.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Caleb Swanigan (Purdue) Full Highlights vs Michigan St. 1.24.17 // 25 Pts, 17 Reb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISwcvNHWi3w

could be a decent player off the bench at the NBA level.  From the highlights not a very good post player

but if he can hit the 3s and rebound the ball...  Needs to improve on lateral quickness.  Not very explosive vertically
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:41:03 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
Caleb Swanigan (Purdue) Full Highlights vs Michigan St. 1.24.17 // 25 Pts, 17 Reb

could be a decent player off the bench at the NBA level.  From the highlights not a very good post player

but if he can hit the 3s and rebound the ball...  Needs to improve on lateral quickness.  Not very explosive vertically

I'm not sure what his ceiling is...but his production against good teams is undeniable.

In fact, his production hasn't been seen in the NCAA since Tim Duncan.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Have seen him a few times...very impressive....just hope that once he gets his $$$, the weight does not start to creep back on

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm not sure what his ceiling is...but his production against good teams is undeniable.

I know ...but duncan was a special player... he had an incredible wingspan/reach,  high bbiq

Caleb does not posses some of these things, even though he has a beast body and huge hands.

i think he compares ok to Sam Perkins (ceiling)

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I know ...but duncan was a special player... he had an incredible wingspan/reach,  high bbiq

Caleb does not posses some of these things, even though he has a beast body and huge hands.

[dang] if he's gonna be a sam perkins type I'm all in for trading for a pick in his range to select him
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell

[dang] if he's gonna be a sam perkins type I'm all in for trading for a pick in his range to select him

Yeah definitely...that would be a great return on investment.

I hope he lands in a good spot regardless.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yes but Perkins like a Charles Oakley are ancient technology

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
26pts...ONLY 10 rebs.... ;D

He can shoot though...3-6 from three and 5-6 from the free throw line.

Oh and this was in a HOSTILE environment.

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP to the OP.

Because of your thread, I started including Swanigan in my updates a couple of weeks ago. in the "Draft prospects playing today " thread. I didn't do today's update, so he wasn't included.

He is a top 3 center in this draft. Good OP,

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
TP to the OP.

Because of your thread, I started including Swanigan in my updates a couple of weeks ago. in the "Draft prospects playing today " thread. I didn't do today's update, so he wasn't included.

He is a top 3 center in this draft. Good OP,

TP to csfansince60s!

Your thread is very informative.