Author Topic: Brown's handle is Horrendous  (Read 5708 times)

Re: Brown's handle is Horrendous
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Horrendous would be like Avery Bradley during his rookie year. I would compare Brown's handles to other all stars when they were rookies. For example, Paul George and Jimmy Butler were actually worse....Keep complaining about Brown though, just motivates him more. I think he'll be good to great personally.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Horrendous would be like Avery Bradley during his rookie year. I would compare Brown's handles to other all stars when they were rookies. For example, Paul George and Jimmy Butler were actually worse....Keep complaining about Brown though, just motivates him more. I think he'll be good to great personally.

TP bud. I honestly think Jaylen is the best rookie we have had since Pierce. Smart was more ready, but he was older. There are little glimpses of amazing that shine through with Brown. His fadeaway in the mid range is amazing, and some of his dunks are nasty. How many rookies can say they mini posterized prime Lebron in contact? We have that rookie.
#JKJB

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He dribbles too high which is why he is susceptible. Easily correctable.  Am not worried.

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
It's really easy to see what's wrong, his brain is moving faster than what his body is able to react to right now. Once the game slows down and he allows it to come to him instead of him hurrying to force it to happen...it'll be gravy to him.  He's so physically gifted as well as intelligent that he's ahead of himself lol, but right now when he dribbles I cringe, like I used to when Tony Allen or younger Avery would try to start a break - yuck!

I think this is just about right. People always underestimate the biggest challenge any rookie faces in making the jump to the NBA—the sheer speed of the game, both on offense and defense. Eventually a lightbulb is going to turn on and he'll suddenly realize "Holy crap, I can do all this stuff!"

I mean, we've already seen a LOT more ability than a guy like Avery showed in his early years (basically any ball-handling resulted in getting his pocket picked). Spin moves, attacking the rim, cross-overs, stuff that Avery still can't do.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

TP bud. I honestly think Jaylen is the best rookie we have had since Pierce. Smart was more ready, but he was older. There are little glimpses of amazing that shine through with Brown. His fadeaway in the mid range is amazing, and some of his dunks are nasty. How many rookies can say they mini posterized prime Lebron in contact? We have that rookie.
I started watching basketball in 2001, pretty much when Pierce came into his own. I can say without any reservation that I have never been as excited about a rookie's potential as am now about Jaylen. The closest I've come to this is when the C's drafted Al Jefferson, because of his insane high school stats and his body control when he was only 18.

Jaylen's got a dream skill set. If his work ethic and drive are there, I've got the highest hopes for him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Butler and PG13 also had these kinds of struggles early on.

Now they are frequently in trade ideas/rumors around here  :laugh:

R-E-L-A-X
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I started watching basketball in 2001, pretty much when Pierce came into his own. I can say without any reservation that I have never been as excited about a rookie's potential as am now about Jaylen. The closest I've come to this is when the C's drafted Al Jefferson, because of his insane high school stats and his body control when he was only 18.

Jaylen's got a dream skill set. If his work ethic and drive are there, I've got the highest hopes for him.
Rookie potential since bird which i'm lucky enough to have seen a rookie be automatically one of the best players in league!
McHale
Len Bias *
Antoine-so much possible talent and didn't do it!
Paul Pierce, I remember him coming in and being amazed at his defense first
Al Jefferson, thought it was McHale part II
Rajon Rondo, in shock really
Billy Walker thought he was going to be a beast at sf
Marcus Smart was playing the best guard defense i've seen since payton
I'm excited about Brown.  Kind of reminds me of Dominique

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Rookie potential since bird which i'm lucky enough to have seen a rookie be automatically one of the best players in league!
McHale
Len Bias *
Reggie Lewis was a great rookie too but yeah, Jaylen is the best rookie since Al Jefferson.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Forgot reggie, was doing off top off my head.
As i remember reggie though he might be like bradley, was going to be solid but not out of world potential (at first).  Hell rick fox started for bird his rookie year and looked solid.

McHale
Len Bias *
Reggie Lewis was a great rookie too but yeah, Jaylen is the best rookie since Al Jefferson.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Just god awful. So uncomfortable at times. If he doesn't improve his ball handling drastically he's ceiling takes a huge hit.

I hope he's dedicated because dribbling is the hardest skill to learn by far.

The good news is he just has to master two dribble drives first.

I have seen his handle before, it does exist. Let's pray that Jaylen can master this art, if he does he could be an All Star.

Can't tell what you're seeing here. Usage rate is over 18, his game is to the hole, spends a lot of time with the ball in close quarters (as a rookie, he's getting to the line on 23% of his possessions, so he's getting contact) - but he has a total of 10 ballhandling turnovers on the season. If he weren't a good ballhandler - let alone if he were a "horrendous" one, is that likely?

Big picture: a year ago he had no left hand and predictably drove right. He's corrected that and added an array of crossover and behind the back stuff. The kid has really good hands.

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 02:01:24 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Just god awful. So uncomfortable at times. If he doesn't improve his ball handling drastically he's ceiling takes a huge hit.

I have seen his handle before, it does exist. Let's pray that Jaylen can master this art, if he does he could be an All Star.

Can't tell what you're seeing here. Usage rate is over 18, his game is to the hole, spends a lot of time with the ball in close quarters (as a rookie, he's getting to the line on 23% of his possessions, so he's getting contact) - but he has a total of 10 ballhandling turnovers on the season. If he weren't a good ballhandler - let alone if he were a "horrendous" one, is that likely?

Big picture: a year ago he had no left hand and predictably drove right. He's corrected that and added an array of crossover and behind the back stuff. The kid has really good hands.

I agree with this. He's showing lots of flash of who he'll be and it looks wonderful. That much talent in that hard s working 20 year old is as sure fire as it gets.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:53 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

I agree with this. He's showing lots of flash of who he'll be and it looks wonderful. That much talent in that hard s working 20 year old is as sure fire as it gets.

Rare combination of fine motor skills and pro work ethic.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

So you haven't seen him look very shaky with the ball before. It's so obvious when a player is lacking confidence with the ball.

Seen that on many occasions this year with Brown