Author Topic: Brown's handle is Horrendous  (Read 5742 times)

Re: Brown's handle is Horrendous
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
dribbling is the hardest skill to learn by far.

What level did you quit playing basketball? Do you have both hands?  JK

I think more guys can dribble than can shoot well.  It is a skill that is ignored but it is not hard to learn.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Most guys over 6 ft dribble way to high .  The long tall bounces allow to great opportunities for the ball to be stolen . Shorter bounce less time ball is out of control .  Most guys have to stoop way over to bother IT's dribble.  And if they bend onver that low , then their upper bodies slam into him , causing a foul, they loose balance or body control.

He needs to practice keeping the ball low and head and eyes up.  Being tall that young , he probably did not play guard or dribble a lot .   

Jimmie Butler has nice ball skills for his height as did Kobe.

He can get better with time.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Just god awful. So uncomfortable at times. If he doesn't improve his ball handling drastically he's ceiling takes a huge hit.

I hope he's dedicated because dribbling is the hardest skill to learn by far.

The good news is he just has to master two dribble drives first.

I have seen his handle before, it does exist. Let's pray that Jaylen can master this art, if he does he could be an All Star.

It's better than yours.

Every pro's should be.  Thats his point.  Of course its better, that doesnt mean Brown's is good relative to the rest of the NBA

Pretty sure that is a chuckle Quez.

In other news, pretty sure my "bringing the ball up the floor with no press" is at least as good as TJ McConnell.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's loose...but he'll tighten it up.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I paid part of my college tuition acting as a handling coach, and I will be honest, if a kid of Jaylen's size had his handles, I would be drooling.

Calling it horrendous is an over statement. The kid has good handles for his size, and one day he will get to the rim at will because of it. Now, he makes the little mistakes, and it is a bit loose. It is almost as if his talent is ahead of what his brain can process in a short time right now. Seeing as he is so young, it will change.

And he needs to tighten it up a bit, and get in a lower stance. But at 6'7, he has all of the green light mechanics you want to see out of a handler.
#JKJB

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Jaylen needs to slightly improve at a number of skills to become a solid rotation player.

1. Consistent from 3

2. Tighten up handle

3. get stronger

With improvement in those areas and just the general slowing down of the game that occurs with familiarity I really look forward to seeing what Jaylen becomes next season. Jaylen doesn't need to become an advanced ball handler even if he is at a similar level to AB and crowder he will be able to set up his incredible first step and get into the paint. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is good enough in my books

you can't expect every SF to handle like Lebron/George

Leonard's handle is average also. 

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Watching him in SL, his bad handle was the first thing I noticed. I was shocked to see articles praising his ball-handling. He just doesn't look like a basketball player to me. He's not quick.

He makes plays here and there though that makes me think I'm missing the boat on him. He's clearly 3-4 years away but maybe he can become a Corner 3, 1 dribble drive, defensive guy. Those guys are valuable especially at that size.

I see his ceiling as a Batum type if he improves all around.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Watching him in SL, his bad handle was the first thing I noticed. I was shocked to see articles praising his ball-handling. He just doesn't look like a basketball player to me. He's not quick.

He makes plays here and there though that makes me think I'm missing the boat on him. He's clearly 3-4 years away but maybe he can become a Corner 3, 1 dribble drive, defensive guy. Those guys are valuable especially at that size.

I see his ceiling as a Batum type if he improves all around.

I think his handle will improve, he needs more playing time to experiment, His penetration dribbling is already better than Smart and Rozier, too much burst.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's really easy to see what's wrong, his brain is moving faster than what his body is able to react to right now. Once the game slows down and he allows it to come to him instead of him hurrying to force it to happen...it'll be gravy to him.  He's so physically gifted as well as intelligent that he's ahead of himself lol, but right now when he dribbles I cringe, like I used to when Tony Allen or younger Avery would try to start a break - yuck!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
literally every-game like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. this is become generic Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. people say after every game find me a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing 20 year old thats perfect coming out of college jesus Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. me

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I completely disagree with the OP. I think for where he is in his career, his handle is good. It's not great but, with the assumption that it'll get a little better and the game will slow down for him as he gets more comfortable in the NBA, I think his handle is good.

I'd go so far as to say his handle right now is better than Avery's is right now.

He has to keep working and keep improving but he's right where he should be as far as I can see.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
His handle isnt good, its really bad. But he does a good job creating seperation off the dribble. He is explosive and deceptive with his crossover etc, but he needs to tighten the handle up a lot.

Some guys (like AB) never had that shake and bake off the dribble and theyve worked their whole careers to make it so they dont need to worry about losing the ball. They still never become threats off the dribble. Brown has that shake. If he is able to tighten up the dribble so hes not a constant turnover threat he can start feasting on people off the dribble.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
It's really easy to see what's wrong, his brain is moving faster than what his body is able to react to right now. Once the game slows down and he allows it to come to him instead of him hurrying to force it to happen...it'll be gravy to him.  He's so physically gifted as well as intelligent that he's ahead of himself lol, but right now when he dribbles I cringe, like I used to when Tony Allen or younger Avery would try to start a break - yuck!
I agree. He's trying to force plays because of limited playing time. It's hard to dribble into the areas he's trying to at times. He just needs to relax and find his timing.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Well he generally can create penetration, is all about developing a countermove once the defense takes away what he wanted to do. But he is no James Young! He's going to earn it, maybe CBS is taking the right approach.

He reminds me of this draft I had in 2K where the only 90+ potential prospects was a guy already rated 78 and another guy rated 66 (a SF too lol), who I ended up picking #3rd overall. A coincidence but plenty guys rode the bench before taking the next step like T-Mac, Giannis, etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:25:06 PM by CelticGuardian »