Author Topic: Trade idea based on Melo's team choice Clippers.  (Read 6610 times)

Re: Trade idea based on Melo's team choice Clippers.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
So I thought about the C's needs and Melo wanting Clippers as a possible spot. In this trade I'd think C's give up Nets 2018, Clippers and Grizz 1st all to Knicks. It's basically a rebuild package for Knicks as the would be clearing a lot of cap and getting a 3 first. Clippers get Melo.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hafb89h

C's
Starters= IT, AB, Crowder, Horford, Jordan
Bench=Smart, Redick, Green, Brown, KO
Reserves=DJ, Mickey, Young

Clippers
Starters= CP3, Rivers, Melo, Griffin, Speights
Bench=Felton, Crawford, Pierce, Bass, O'Quinn

Melo isn't worth $30 million per year and Speights isn't a starting Center in the NBA on a good team.  A TERRIBLE trade for the Clips.  There's no way they'd trade Jordan.   

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Do people realize Griffin likely opts out next summer and becomes a FA???

No way I give up all that just for Griffin UNLESS there is a long term commitment involved.

Also, no way Clippers give up Jordan in any deal (even for Melo).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Do people realize Griffin likely opts out next summer and becomes a FA???

No way I give up all that just for Griffin UNLESS there is a long term commitment involved.

Also, no way Clippers give up Jordan in any deal (even for Melo).

I wouldn't say even for Melo I would say especially for Melo. 

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I say try to get him to Cleveland to get Love back.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jc2oec4

Basically
Boston gets Love and Plumlee

NY gets Rozier, Zeller, Johnson and two non-Nets picks  (and a couple 2nd rounders from Boston)

Cleveland get Melo.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I say try to get him to Cleveland to get Love back.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jc2oec4

Basically
Boston gets Love and Plumlee

NY gets Rozier, Zeller, Johnson and two non-Nets picks  (and a couple 2nd rounders from Boston)

Cleveland get Melo.
I can't see Cleveland trading Love for Anthony without getting a lot more back.  And I have no idea what NY gets out of that trade.  They would just take Love who is worth far more than Rozier and a couple of late 1sts.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What about a 3 team trade with Melo going to the Clippers, Griffin to Boston, and spare parts to NY?

Because of Griffin's pending free agency maybe we wouldn't have to give up our major assets?  Would we inherit his bird rights? 

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
What about a 3 team trade with Melo going to the Clippers, Griffin to Boston, and spare parts to NY?

Because of Griffin's pending free agency maybe we wouldn't have to give up our major assets?  Would we inherit his bird rights?
You mean like this one I proposed in this thread

BOS - Griffin, Crawford, W. Johnson, Pierce
LAC - Anthony, Bradley, A. Johnson, LAC 1st
NY - Brown, Olynyk, Zeller, BOS 17 1st

So Boston post-trade
PG - Thomas, Rozier
SG - Smart, Crawford, Young
SF - Crowder, Johnson, Pierce
PF - Griffin, Jerekbo, Mickey
C - Horford

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

So Boston post-trade
PG - Thomas, Rozier
C - Horford

Not bad, but I would just try to simplify it a little with maybe only Griffin and Pierce coming back.

Does anyone have past examples of assets given up for a star with a half season remaining on his contract?

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So Boston post-trade
PG - Thomas, Rozier
C - Horford
Celtics are very small and thin up front. This trade would have to also include another trade following close behind it to bolster the frontcourt some.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think giving up Jordan and Redick for Melo probably makes the Clippers worse.
Does it open the door for Lebron to join them in 1-2 years after Griffin leaves?

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So Boston post-trade
PG - Thomas, Rozier
C - Horford
Celtics are very small and thin up front. This trade would have to also include another trade following close behind it to bolster the frontcourt some.
No question, but I was more concerned with getting top end talent then filling out the team.  I think there will be a number of possible center options though I'm not sure how the money/trading would work with that trade.  Might have to add that 4th team into this one, though then it gets even more complicated and unlikely.  Chandler, Monroe, or Bogut would all work well on this team backing up Horford.  Just as an example, and with Griffin Boston won't have cap space so acquiring any of those guys won't matter on that end.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://nypost.com/2017/01/17/the-most-logical-carmelo-landing-spot-is-a-team-he-cant-stand/

Berman from the NY Post says the C's make the most sense for Carmelo, and any potential trade to the Cavs, Clippers, or Lakers is very, very unlikely due to the cap situations and other issues.

He proposes a deal of Crowder, Johnson, JJ, and Boston's 2018 pick for Anthony. That certainly gives you a bit of a pause, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up Crowder due to the importance of a defensive wing in today's NBA, along with his excellent contract. I'm also not sure how realistic that is with only that particular C's pick.

What if they would accept replacing Crowder with Bradley and adding another non-Brooklyn pick? What about a deal of Bradley, Zeller, JJ, Young, the Boston 2018 pick, and the Memphis pick? I think this would work even with his trade kicker, though not positive.

That'd solve our problem with paying IT, AB, and Smart in 2018, and it'd leave you with a really strong and balanced lineup:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Smart, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Melo, KO
C: Horford, Amir

If Carmelo could buy into the system, I like him as a small-ball 4 for us. He's actually a very good defensive rebounder for his size (similar to Amir over his career), and he'd provide us with a ton of spacing and shooting to allow IT penetration. He also would provide a secondary scorer to IT in the playoffs.

This would also allow us to keep our Brooklyn picks and develop our young core just as Melo and Horford become too old. I'd consider this a legitimate title contender, and we could trot out this lineup the next couple of years, all while getting two other studs in the next two drafts, such as players like Fultz and Ayton, to pair with Smart and Brown going forward.

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not entirely opposed to trading for melo.

I'm curious if anyone thinks a 5 man lineup of Thomas, Bradley, melo, crowder and Horford could work.  If you could keep crowder could you have him or melo play PF?

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
http://nypost.com/2017/01/17/the-most-logical-carmelo-landing-spot-is-a-team-he-cant-stand/

Berman from the NY Post says the C's make the most sense for Carmelo, and any potential trade to the Cavs, Clippers, or Lakers is very, very unlikely due to the cap situations and other issues.

He proposes a deal of Crowder, Johnson, JJ, and Boston's 2018 pick for Anthony. That certainly gives you a bit of a pause, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up Crowder due to the importance of a defensive wing in today's NBA, along with his excellent contract. I'm also not sure how realistic that is with only that particular C's pick.

What if they would accept replacing Crowder with Bradley and adding another non-Brooklyn pick? What about a deal of Bradley, Zeller, JJ, Young, the Boston 2018 pick, and the Memphis pick? I think this would work even with his trade kicker, though not positive.

That'd solve our problem with paying IT, AB, and Smart in 2018, and it'd leave you with a really strong and balanced lineup:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Smart, Green
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Melo, KO
C: Horford, Amir

If Carmelo could buy into the system, I like him as a small-ball 4 for us. He's actually a very good defensive rebounder for his size (similar to Amir over his career), and he'd provide us with a ton of spacing and shooting to allow IT penetration. He also would provide a secondary scorer to IT in the playoffs.

This would also allow us to keep our Brooklyn picks and develop our young core just as Melo and Horford become too old. I'd consider this a legitimate title contender, and we could trot out this lineup the next couple of years, all while getting two other studs in the next two drafts, such as players like Fultz and Ayton, to pair with Smart and Brown going forward.
Bradley is better than Crowder.  Why would you not only make that swap but add an additional 1st?  That just seems silly.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
To bad he is not interested in waiving his trade kicker.....  I would pass.   Only because he wont pass!   Chucker...lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-melo-doesnt-want-to-waive-no-trade-clause-leave-knicks-214435525.html
Diggles