Author Topic: Greatest player that's done nothing  (Read 7901 times)

Re: Greatest player that's done nothing
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pistol Pete
Voted one of the 50 greatest players of all time

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
After reading all the great suggestions, if this thread had a poll of the top candidates, I would vote for Sleepy Sam Perkins.

It's actually kinda shocking to realize he never made and AS team, even as a coach's choice reserve.  He was such a solid player.  So reliable and ahead of his time with the 3PT shot.   His advanced stats show Win Share numbers consistent with a 'borderline All Star' player in multiple years.

The problem for Sam was he came in with a '84 draft class that was just loaded with 'names' that dominated the NBA for years, including bigs at his position.   That draft included:

Michael Jordan
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Hakeem!
Otis Thorpe
Kevin Willis

And the year before (Drexler, Harper, Ellis, Scott, Rivers) and the year after (Karl Malone, Ewing, Terry Porter, Detlef, Chris Mullin, Oakley, Hot Rod, X-Man etc.) were pretty loaded with names as well.  And oh yeah, Bird & Magic and all their pals were in the league.

Basically, Sam Perkins was a very, very good player playing in an era loaded with GREAT players!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Pervis Ellison - He averaged double-double when healthy.

Kid Chocolate - Won a ring with the heat but should have been in the all-star at least once

Mike Bibby - Solid player with the Kings.

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Swen Nater

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
After reading all the great suggestions, if this thread had a poll of the top candidates, I would vote for Sleepy Sam Perkins.

It's actually kinda shocking to realize he never made and AS team, even as a coach's choice reserve.  He was such a solid player.  So reliable and ahead of his time with the 3PT shot.   His advanced stats show Win Share numbers consistent with a 'borderline All Star' player in multiple years.

The problem for Sam was he came in with a '84 draft class that was just loaded with 'names' that dominated the NBA for years, including bigs at his position.   That draft included:

Michael Jordan
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Hakeem!
Otis Thorpe
Kevin Willis

And the year before (Drexler, Harper, Ellis, Scott, Rivers) and the year after (Karl Malone, Ewing, Terry Porter, Detlef, Chris Mullin, Oakley, Hot Rod, X-Man etc.) were pretty loaded with names as well.  And oh yeah, Bird & Magic and all their pals were in the league.

Basically, Sam Perkins was a very, very good player playing in an era loaded with GREAT players!

Yeah he would be my pick as well, TP for the insightful information.

I loved his style of playing. A lot of players should strive to emulate his style of play to increase longevity in their game. You can't just get by with just athleticism now.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kurt Rambis... made some noise, but really accomplished nothing..

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Should move this to best starting five for the original standards

Will have to add alter this as i think of possible players.  As of now.

Pf sam perkins
C swen nater
Pg scott skiles
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:12:49 PM by 2short »

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kelly Olynyk

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Greg Monroe must be right up there. 

Aside from his rookie year he's really never averaged less than 15 points   9 rebounds, 2 assists and 50% FG,  yet the highest individual accolade he's recieved as an NBA player was all rookie second team.

Troy Murphy is one who truly won nothing - not even a late all rookie team selection.   He averaged a double double 5 times and was  a very solid player for quite some time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:29:10 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Austin Croshere.

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Bringing a little data to the discussion, here are the top 20 players in the modern era, with 0 AS appearances who are not in the HOF. Sorted by career Win Shares. (You could pick other metrics, of course).

1   Sam Perkins
2   Andre Miller
3   Jason Terry
4   P.J. Brown
5   Derek Harper
6   Rod Strickland
7   Richard Jefferson
8   Marcus Camby
9   Lamar Odom
10   Shane Battier
11   Byron Scott
12   Michael Cage
13   Mike Bibby
14   Brent Barry
15   Hot Rod Williams
16   Jerome Kersey
17   Al Jefferson
18   Nene Hilario
19   Robert Horry
20   Ron Harper

http://bkref.com/tiny/7rIiU

Interesting to see how many of these guys you all hit on. Pretty good. Did we miss Richard Jefferson?

Also the list does not exclude by All-NBA mentions but I think if you choose guys with 0 All star appearances that is very similar. At least for offense. At least two of the guys above (Camby and Battier) made multiple All-Defense teams.

One name lower on the list that jumped out at me is Eddie Johnson (#21). He was a great scoring forwards in the league for about ten years running. He just did it in a competitive era for that, there were so many good scoring SFs (Bird, Nique, King, Dantley, Aguirre, English, Gervin, Barkley, Chambers, Cummings, Vandeweghe).

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It's not that they "did" nothing, it's that they won nothing. Here's a few:

Jalen Rose (most improved award is a nothing award)
Arvydas Sabonis
Rod Strickland
Cedric Cornbread Maxwell (Finals MVP may disqualify him)

Androslav and RockinRyA (hope I spelled this right) already covered this, but here's the comprehensive list for Sabonis (apart from being a Basketball and FIBA HoFer.)

Having said this, I see Granath's point. Although he was in the first rookie team, he never got an all star appearance or an All-NBA team because he spent the peak of his career in Europe.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:12:05 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Just check the Clippers Rosters over the years. I am sure you will find a lot of candidates.

Shawn Kemp?

Horace Grant?

Grant was in the 1994 All Star and was elected 4 times in the All-Defensive team.

Kemp was 6 times in the All Star. (Thank you Wikipedia)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:11:50 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Back to Len Bias's OP, a comprehensive answer to this would require hours of research - to keep this fair, one would have to look at players in the 1960s and 50s too and for many of them it is hard to even find footage. Lou Tsioropoulos, for instance, was said to be p solid during his brief time in the NBA, but I cannot find any vids of him - if anyone here has seen him play (rollie?) I would really appreaciate some comments. There are tons of other players back from that less glamorous era that get less recognition than they deserve.

Personally, I am obviously more familiar with the 90s, that's when I really started watching the NBA. And although I feel a bit embarassed to say so now, I felt back then (and still do now) that Steve Kerr was an elite player who got few opportunities due to the team he was playing for. I always loved great shooters who are not selfish (such a rare combo) and had huge respect for him. It makes sense that he made a great coach (and it also makes sense that his team is both selfless and focused on 3point shooting lol)

Another Bulls player that I feel got less attention than he deserved (although he has earned a ****load of personal and team achievements) is Kukoc. Sixth man of the year in 1996 that's the only personal award as far as his NBA career is concerned.

I felt he was often snubbed. For instance, there was this playoffs game against the Knicks when Pippen went ballistic because Jackson wanted Kukoc to take the last shot. Pippen sat on the bench in protest, Kukoc paid no attention, made the shot. Kukoc never said a word about it afaik, nor did he have to.

He was an artist, not just a bball player.

TP to 2short for mentioning Scott Skiles. Great bballIQ, selfless player. A bit disappointed from his coaching career, I expected great things from him.

And now, to my real faves. It is players who got excluded from the NBA because of substances abuse and made a career in Greece. Mitch Wiggins (Andrew's father) was a hell of a scorer, it was a huge privilege to watch him play in Athens.

Carey Scurry left fond memories in Greece. Mainly for his impressive but also because he bite his  coach at a brawl.

Finally, the player of my heart. Sixth Man of the year in 1988. rip