Author Topic: kelly alert  (Read 6846 times)

Re: kelly alert
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Two words: Injury prone
unless olly has a pattern of having kids around who cause him injury, then he cannot be blamed for being injury prone. injury prone refers to a physical condition, or style of play, that results in repeated and similar types of injuries.

no one is "prone" being tripped by little kids.  :o

Good luck trying to explain that to the snickering set on here...what a lame bunch of alleged Celtics fans!
Injury prone is not that simple. If a player lacks balance and has weak ankles or knees, that player is far more likely to be injured and is thus injury prone.

Also, Olynyk seems to have a pretty low pain threshold because seemingly small injuries completely destroy his game.

I think it is completely fair to label Kelly Injury prone. Perhaps fragile is more appropriate.
perhaps, but please explain how tripping over a kid fits with this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
i remember him playing with an almost closed eye -i think he scored 20
this incident was an accident-simple as that
coming back from injuries or working back to game shape do seem to make kelly look clumsy -but none on us make a living being 7 foot at 250lbs running the court-pivoting  and battling with other bigger guys

Rollie is the voice of reason. It's despicable to see "fans" mocking Kelly Olynyk for something that wasn't his fault.

My take on Kelly is that he is a fluke of a human being who had a growth spurt after already learning the game as a guard.

This is what shocks me about Tyler Zeller. He has always been a center. I have no problem with his offense. It's his defense that is utterly disappointing.

Olynyk did play with a closed eye. I don't know what games people are watching in which they conclude he is soft.

I'm in the little guy tier. But if I was playing against a kid or someone shorter than me, then I'd feel like a center. Marcus Smart is showing a bit of those skills.

Olynyk has had to learn center not against short people but against tall guys who have been playing center probably their whole lives.

I do think one area Olynyk needs to improve on is his assist to turnover ratio. He has to stop being so passive on offense. He is tough nosed on defense. If he had the same tenacity on offense, people would have to let up on him.

I think it is human nature for players to read social media just like we do. I wonder if the bad fans are hurting team chemistry. Crowder certainly had some form of psychological breakdown in terms of basketball. One can see that he knows he messed up and must be overridden with guilt for responding to trolls the way he did.

It might work on Isaiah. He might see some of the garbage posted here and it fuels the chip on his shoulder. We all know about the little engine that could. Isaiah is living out the fable. Olynyk is living out the opposite of that. He has the inbuilt advantage of height. But I think people forget about the growth spurt. They think he is 25 and you can't teach dogs new tricks.

I don't watch the practices. I can only go by what I see on the screen. One game Kelly was working hard but having tough breaks. He cursed at himself. He seems fragile psychologically. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to go negative on. We don't want him thinking he is doomed. We should build up his confidence, not knock him down. He's one of our rotation guys. We are going nowhere without him.

Olynyk seems to have made a leap over the last couple weeks after a half year of inconsistency and doubts. I hope he isn't out too long or is able to play tonight. We need him. We are weak in the front court. We need Amir.

If we could just swap out Zeller, for example, for Sanders or Bogut, the roster would finally be completely balanced. Maybe it will be Zizac (in the second half or next year). That's our next big if. The other one is Jaylen's development. Smart and Olynyk.

I agree with Rollie that Horford could have a big night. He is a clever vet and knows we are banged up for bigs. Too bad Kelly can't trade some of his humility for Gerald's confidence. But now is clearly not the time to mock his game. It's his fault a little kid ran onto the court?

Danny should add a real center or we will be praying to the basketball gods for optimal health for Kelly, Amir, and Al.

Kelly and Jae should be praised for making personal leaps. It doesn't look easy to do.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Injury prone is a negative and is hard to quantify.  Durable is a word I often would use to describe Pierce and other athletes.  You cannot say Olynyk is durable.  He is the opposite of durable.  I Googled antonyms of durable and got words like fragile, poorly made; I don't feel like they apply.

I don't know what the word should be to describe his lack of durability but some athletes have it (durability) and some don't.  I don't think he lacks toughness or anything like that or that it is the result of insufficient preparation/conditioning but it is also more than just bad luck.  His body is what it is for the most part; not durable relative to the demands of a professional athlete.

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It is sad, because Kelly has been shooting great lately, and he had one of his best games ever this week.
Who replaces him? Zeller? Mickey?

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Bam!!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Two words: Injury prone
unless olly has a pattern of having kids around who cause him injury, then he cannot be blamed for being injury prone. injury prone refers to a physical condition, or style of play, that results in repeated and similar types of injuries.

no one is "prone" being tripped by little kids.  :o

Good luck trying to explain that to the snickering set on here...what a lame bunch of alleged Celtics fans!

Should of put that /s in there... I come in peace folks! Olynyk is the Twilight Zone's Larry Bird.

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
dude gets no breaks.  he has been playing very well lately too so this is a blow for the celtics.

a healthy olynyk is a good floor spacer, shooter, and passer.  he also surprisingly enough makes our defense better when he is on the floor than say amir johnson does.

hopefully this is very minor injury and he comes back to full health soon.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
He played last night, and played well.  Why are we even talking about this?

And thank you rollie