Author Topic: Petulance and (guarded) sarcasm in the realm of "king james"  (Read 3476 times)

Petulance and (guarded) sarcasm in the realm of "king james"
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Bron, Bron will you ever grow up?

He has it all, or so it would seem.....yet, he wants more.

And not just more rings  (as Cs fans, we all get that). He has $$$, influence and control almost beyond imagination, but those apparently aren't enough for "the king".

Now it seems like he wants total subjugation. And now it seems that there are rumblings in the kingdom chafing against it. Not out and out defiance of course, that would result in the lopping off of heads (figuratively, at least), but some sarcasm from Cavs GM, David Griffin and innuendo from both Griffin and Joe Vardon, whose article appears in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

I found this an enjoyable and enlightening article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/01/cavs_gm_david_griffin_grateful.html

This from the article:

LeBron James continued to push Cavs general manager David Griffin after he traded for Kyle Korver, publicly calling for not only a veteran point guard but another big man.

Griffin said Friday he was "grateful" for James' nudging, even if he doesn't entirely agree with all of his superstar's opinions.

"I appreciate the fact that he's really trying to keep us moving in the right direction," Griffin said Friday, hours before the Cavs played the Sacramento Kings.

I love Griffin's cautious sarcasm here. I'm sure that he was very "grateful" which was why they placed the word in quotes.

Also,, this vid captures it pretty well, too, especially at the end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5AK3uJqPA

So I guess that my question is this: why does someone with Bron Bron's influence with Gilbert and Griffin feel the need to publicly call management out on this?

Does he feel that he needs to call on the court of public opinion to rally to his side and put pressure on management to do this because his influence alone isn't enough? Is he being spiteful and petty, like a child not getting what he wants, when he wants it? Or is he already playing the blame game, just in case the Championship doesn't come back to Cleveland, because if it doesn't, it couldn't possibly be "the king's" fault.

Just after the Korver trade, Bron Bron said "I've said it before, AND I"M NOT GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN, 'we need a backup point guard." (I wonder if he was stomping his feet and/or holding his breath till he turned blue when he said that.)

You lied, Bron, Bron. you did say it again!!!

EDIT: The article is a good read, whether you like james or not. It gives insight into Lue and management's strategy on James at the 4 and his dislike of it.

Re: Petulance and (guarded) sarcasm in the realm of "king james"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
James was asked a question and answered it.  I'm not sure what all the hub bub is about.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think it is a big deal, but it is probably not ideal to say to the media given that he knows everything he ever says is dissected. It is fair they need more than Felder as a backup point guard for the playoffs, especially considering Irving has had some injury issues in the past. That being said he could probably just have his agent or him make these comments directly to Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Dude you really just wrote all of this only for no one to really care. The whole monthly irrational Lebron hatred thread has clearly worn thin around. Lebron has reached the APex of his Achievemnets after last years Cavs title. Even the most die hard Lebron haters have clearly moved on. You should probably do the same

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Dude you really just wrote all of this only for no one to really care. The whole monthly irrational Lebron hatred thread has clearly worn thin around. Lebron has reached the APex of his Achievemnets after last years Cavs title. Even the most die hard Lebron haters have clearly moved on. You should probably do the same

His framing could have been more neutral for sure, but this is hardly just a hating on Lebron. It is a news story that one of the few contenders has their star player requesting additional moves publicly from the front office. I would honestly say what is the toughest with Lebron is not people that "hate him" it is the people that feel the need to come in an defend him anytime someone says something that could slightly be perceived as a slight.

Since we are going to throw around the idea of "hating him", I'll add some food for thought. I thought his flop last night was pretty embarassing and I was really glad to see Chris Webber call it out as such. It was embarrassing the league caved and gave Draymond the flagrant.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

His framing could have been more neutral for sure, but this is hardly just a hating on Lebron. It is a news story that one of the few contenders has their star player requesting additional moves publicly from the front office. I would honestly say what is the toughest with Lebron is not people that "hate him" it is the people that feel the need to come in an defend him anytime someone says something that could slightly be perceived as a slight.

Since we are going to throw around the idea of "hating him", I'll add some food for thought. I thought his flop last night was pretty embarassing and I was really glad to see Chris Webber call it out as such. It was embarrassing the league caved and gave Draymond the flagrant.
He was asked about it though.  I get that he doesn't have to answer the question quite so bluntly, but if he just dodged questions and avoided them, there would be a thread on here about that.  It makes no difference what James does or says, he will get hated on.  I believe that was what zubi was getting at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He was asked about it though.  I get that he doesn't have to answer the question quite so bluntly, but if he just dodged questions and avoided them, there would be a thread on here about that.  It makes no difference what James does or says, he will get hated on.  I believe that was what zubi was getting at.

I have to say I strongly disagree with this (and I don't think you really even believe it either). If Lebron just constantly says "I'm focused on the team we do have and our game against the Warriors on Monday" there is absolutely no way that anyone can make it in to a story. Lebron does like to talk to and be in the media and has gone out of his way a few times to do things he knew would be big stories when he could have otherwise just said he was focusing on the game.

You can look at someone like Tom Brady as comparison. The one time he was involved in a story it was 24/7 and people were completely fascinated by every little detail of his life that went along with that scandal. There were articles dissecting how he talked to a pool boy about the color of the hot tub cover because that information became available. Brady has been asked dozens if not hundreds of times throughout his career for his opinions on whether he could use more weapons, his opinions on coaching decisions, free agents during the off-season, reactions to teammates leaving etc. He has 95% of the time given the media nothing to work with and they just don't become stories (there are a few small ones over the year where he did express an opinion.

They are different personality types and different interactions with the media and it is up to individuals to decide how they would prefer people engage with the media (a lot of people would probably say Brady is just really boring).

However, the one thing you can't act like is that Lebron is just some victim and doesn't bring a lot of the media attention on himself. Again, not saying he should, but if he doesn't make these comments nobody is talking about it. The idea that Lebron would get hated on here with his own thread if he responded to the question with "I'm just focused on the guys we have and having the best team we can" is fairly ludicrous.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Hating on Lebron is becoming very cliche. I like to watch sports for the sports and could care less about a lot of the politics re: who said when and where. The media, esp. in sports, can be very fickle- one day they love you, the next they hate you.

As far as sports, Lebron is really good.

As far as interviews, I don't really have an opinion.

As far as my favorite mid-day soap opera, I don't really have an opinion either.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Hating on Lebron is becoming very cliche. I like to watch sports for the sports and could care less about a lot of the politics re: who said when and where. The media, esp. in sports, can be very fickle- one day they love you, the next they hate you.

As far as sports, Lebron is really good.

As far as interviews, I don't really have an opinion.

As far as my favorite mid-day soap opera, I don't really have an opinion either.

I don't even know what you are referring to with any of this....

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
point: talking about lebron said this or that is similar to a daily soap opera. fake drama for those who need more drama.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
point: talking about lebron said this or that is similar to a daily soap opera. fake drama for those who need more drama.

If you are talking about the original poster sharing the story. I think it is an interesting to point out when one of two main championship contenders is talking about their roster and their GM is also making comments (I have already pointed out the framing of the story was overly negative).

If you are referring to me I just pointed out different communciation styles with the media between a player like Tom Brady and a player like Lebron James. I didn't say one was better than the other.

In general I find brevity is good, but your posts are so brief in this instance it is hard to tell you are even talking to or why...

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

His framing could have been more neutral for sure, but this is hardly just a hating on Lebron. It is a news story that one of the few contenders has their star player requesting additional moves publicly from the front office.

James was asked a question and answered it.  I'm not sure what all the hub bub is about.

Thats all that needed to be said...turning that simple quote to a question he was asked into 1000 words of pure innuendo and pre conceived negative bias clears shows this was an irrational hate thread.....2-3 years ago the thread would easily reached 5 pages of ppl circle jerking themselves with their hate for Lebron (prob 10 pages back btw 2010-2012)... however given his accomplishments to date now nobody cares anymore as show by the number of replies

I would honestly say what is the toughest with Lebron is not people that "hate him" it is the people that feel the need to come in an defend him anytime someone says something that could slightly be perceived as a slight.

Hey maybe most of the time ppl are defending him from pure nonsense...Like you know the nonsense written in this thread

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I get it. He is and has been a major rival of the Celts for his entire career. But we're not really competing with the Cavs right now, so why be petty? Why destroy him for every little thing he says to the media? Just enjoy greatness.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

His framing could have been more neutral for sure, but this is hardly just a hating on Lebron. It is a news story that one of the few contenders has their star player requesting additional moves publicly from the front office.

Thats all that needed to be said...turning that simple quote to a question he was asked into 1000 words of pure innuendo and pre conceived negative bias clears shows this was an irrational hate thread.....2-3 years ago the thread would easily reached 5 pages of ppl circle jerking themselves with their hate for Lebron (prob 10 pages back btw 2010-2012)... however given his accomplishments to date now nobody cares anymore as show by the number of replies

I would honestly say what is the toughest with Lebron is not people that "hate him" it is the people that feel the need to come in an defend him anytime someone says something that could slightly be perceived as a slight.

Hey maybe most of the time ppl are defending him from pure nonsense...Like you know the nonsense written in this thread

Again, what the heck are you talking about. Is this directed at the original poster?
Is this directed at me?

If it is directed at me I would love to know what of "nonsense" you are referencing. I just said he had a different personality type than Brady and explained why. I also clearly said I don't think one is better than the other, and even said I could see if people just thought Brady's approach is boring.

So who is hating Lebron here? Are we just calling anything mentioned about Lebron as hating? SMH

Edit: If it about my single comment that he probably flopped last night that I added in as a joke once the concept of hating was broached, then this has just gotten insane...

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

Again, what the heck are you talking about. Is this directed at the original poster?
Is this directed at me?

If it is directed at me I would love to know what of "nonsense" you are referencing. I just said he had a different personality type than Brady and explained why. I also clearly said I don't think one is better than the other, and even said I could see if people just thought Brady's approach is boring.

So who is hating Lebron here? Are we just calling anything mentioned about Lebron as hating? SMH

Edit: If it about my single comment that he probably flopped last night that I added in as a joke once the concept of hating was broached, then this has just gotten insane...

My initial reply was to the OPs thread...you then replied with this

His framing could have been more neutral for sure, but this is hardly just a hating on Lebron

Am sorry but thinking the OP was remotely trying to be objective with this thread is incredibly naive. This was clearly a "Kumbaya" thread for Lebron haters to come in and vent. How else could such a negative thread be made from a simple question Lebron was asked

I get it. He is and has been a major rival of the Celts for his entire career. But we're not really competing with the Cavs right now, so why be petty? Why destroy him for every little thing he says to the media? Just enjoy greatness.

Exactly where majority of celtics fans are. Seems like OP might be one of the last ones left that still uses every word and quote to hate on Lebron. I was just suggesting the the OP be better off moving on ...like most ppl have