Author Topic: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.  (Read 9282 times)

Re: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
SVG is a good coach, and a pretty decent evaluator of NBA talent. He's made some pretty good moves as GM.

The problems in Detroit can mostly be traced to Reggie Jackson sucking this year. I thought at first it was just due to injury and the time it would take to recover and get back in game shape, but it looks like he just flat out sucks.

Also, while SVG is a good coach, he has a very grating personality.   Teams only listen to him for so long before they get tired of him and tune him out. I didn't think it would happen this fast in Detroit, but it looks to be the case.

Either way, I'm kind of reveling in them falling flat on their faces.

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
SVG- is a very good coach and and excellent evaluator of talent.
He probably would have won a championship in Miami-if Pat Riley hadn't emerged from the shadows.  But  there are a lot of valid points here.

He has to turn it around soon with a smile
or he'll have to march his #@$!# #@% back to 8 mile!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Stan Van Gundy is not failing in Detroit.

Detroit have had a major injury to Reggie Jackson. He has missed half the season so far with injury and just as the team was learning to play without him, he returns and the chemistry is disrupted. Jackson, while he has returned, is still not up to full speed. He is recovering while playing and is not having the same effect on the court. His defense in particular is not where it should be. Causing further disruption to the team.

The problems in Detroit will resolve themselves over time once Reggie Jackson fully recovers from his injury and gets back to where he was last season and when the team reestablishes it's chemistry with him in the lineup.

I disagree.  The Pistons overpaid for an OVERRATED Jackson.  He is not and never will be an elite defender and he is not even very efficient offensively.

Smitty77

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Detroit have had a major injury to Reggie Jackson. He has missed half the season so far with injury and just as the team was learning to play without him, he returns and the chemistry is disrupted. Jackson, while he has returned, is still not up to full speed. He is recovering while playing and is not having the same effect on the court. His defense in particular is not where it should be. Causing further disruption to the team.

The problems in Detroit will resolve themselves over time once Reggie Jackson fully recovers from his injury and gets back to where he was last season and when the team reestablishes it's chemistry with him in the lineup.

I disagree.  The Pistons overpaid for an OVERRATED Jackson.  He is not and never will be an elite defender and he is not even very efficient offensively.

Smitty77
SVG always get defend. He drafted Stanley Johnson over Booker and Winslow. He has  made  a terrible trade for Jackson. Took on the Morris problem from the Suns. His offense is so iso orient when he could do more pick and rolls. It makes me dream of the Micheal Curry coach days were they scored in transistion. I don't see playoffs next year and if he loses KCP no playoffs next year either.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Smitty77
SVG always get defend. He drafted Stanley Johnson over Booker and Winslow. He has  made  a terrible trade for Jackson. Took on the Morris problem from the Suns. His offense is so iso orient when he could do more pick and rolls. It makes me dream of the Micheal Curry coach days were they scored in transistion. I don't see playoffs next year and if he loses KCP no playoffs next year either.
In his defense, He has pulled off some good trades, and Morris has been quite decent

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »

• Don Chaney
SVG was out coached last night. Letting Stanley Johnson touch the ball with the lead with 30 seconds left is beyond me. He made a big bonehead play like the bonehead who drafted him.
 Hassan still had to make a great tip but they should never even had been there. SVG was truly out coached in the final 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:56:57 AM by spikelovetheCelts »
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
SVG is a good coach. His two "cornerstones" are bad players.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
need to shoot more 3's.

Unfortunately Drummond looks like he won't be much more than a Deandre Jordan level player at this stage. Hurts the offensive spacing and gets less rebounds as they shoot more threes.

I strongly doubt Drummond will ever be as good as DeAndre.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
need to shoot more 3's.

Unfortunately Drummond looks like he won't be much more than a Deandre Jordan level player at this stage. Hurts the offensive spacing and gets less rebounds as they shoot more threes.

I strongly doubt Drummond will ever be as good as DeAndre.
Drummond gets paid over $20 million a year to dunk and rebound. Last night against Miami he had two chances to get a rebound that would've ended the game and sealed a win for his team. Couldn't do it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »

• Don Chaney
SVG is a good coach. His two "cornerstones" are bad players.
Maybe good coach bad GM he gave them both the money. Yes he is a good coach but he is failing bad as a GM. He had one good run in 2009.

Re: Van Gundy failing in Detriot.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Is Lue the Coach or LeBron? I don't hold a lot of credibility in the coach of a team that has the "best" player on it with other pieces. I always thought that Phil Jackson was overrated because he never coached without arguably the best player on his team. I'm sure I will get a lot of heat for that but it's my opinion. I really don't know how good of a coach that Steve Kerr is either.

There are a lot of very good coaches out there and you can see their coaching skills without having the best players on their team.
Yeah I think Kerr's COTY award wasnt really deserved, but when a team wins 73 games you cant really complain.

I actually quite like the debate on whether or not Phil is a good coach or did he just get lucky the times he won his championships with

He inherited a team that already had Jordan, though Jordan didn't really go anywhere pre-Phil
He inherited a team that already had Kobe and Shaq, o what a coincidence
He had some good runs but mostly the good players were given to him, just like Pau. I don't recall him Phil developing and building a team from complete scratch

I mean can someone remind me, had he went through what Brad basically went through? a tanking team and constant gutting of the team his first two seasons here?

Re: Van Gundy failing in Detriot.
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is Lue the Coach or LeBron? I don't hold a lot of credibility in the coach of a team that has the "best" player on it with other pieces. I always thought that Phil Jackson was overrated because he never coached without arguably the best player on his team. I'm sure I will get a lot of heat for that but it's my opinion. I really don't know how good of a coach that Steve Kerr is either.

There are a lot of very good coaches out there and you can see their coaching skills without having the best players on their team.
Yeah I think Kerr's COTY award wasnt really deserved, but when a team wins 73 games you cant really complain.

I actually quite like the debate on whether or not Phil is a good coach or did he just get lucky the times he won his championships with

He inherited a team that already had Jordan, though Jordan didn't really go anywhere pre-Phil
He inherited a team that already had Kobe and Shaq, o what a coincidence
He had some good runs but mostly the good players were given to him, just like Pau. I don't recall him Phil developing and building a team from complete scratch

I mean can someone remind me, had he went through what Brad basically went through? a tanking team and constant gutting of the team his first two seasons here?
Is Popovich a good coach?  What about Red (and I'm talking pure coaching not his executive stuff of which he was basically unrivaled)?  I mean Bill Russell coached those Celtic teams to titles.  How good could Red have actually been?

You don't win multiple titles with having all time great talent.  But there are plenty of coaches that have all time great talent that don't win any titles. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
geez it seams that every time i look at the scores, the pistons get blown by 20 plus points by meeehhh teams.
expect a firesale, and a full blown rebuild
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Why are people here defending Van Gundy? Dude is straight up failing hardcore. 

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Question Regarding This:

Lets say the Pistons go on a full out rebuild.

If Drummond could be had for real cheap (like no 2017 BKN Pick or Smart/Crowder/Brown involved), and they can't make a draft day trade for another star like Butler/PG13, would you consider it? 

Might be an option if they also feel Griffin and Hayward are staying put (a lot can change between now and June).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller