Author Topic: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.  (Read 9284 times)

Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
http://hoopshabit.com/2017/01/14/stan-van-gundys-identity-crisis-in-detroit/
Looks like Van Gundy is not doing well. I personally never liked him as a coach. I watched some last night and he could not seem to get his point across to his player. I think having a dual role hurts a team Hopefully he will be on some more short sides of trades and be out of coaching agan. I think the league has past him by but i said the Cavs were over Tyron Lue's head last year and I was WRONG. But i WILL rejoice in Stan's failure for now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:19:14 PM by Redz »
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Re: Van Gundy failing in Detriot.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://hoopshabit.com/2017/01/14/stan-van-gundys-identity-crisis-in-detroit/
Looks like Van Gundy is not doing well. I personally never liked him as a coach. I watched some last night and he could not seem to get his point across to his player. I think having a dual role hurts a team Hopefully he will be on some more short sides of trades and be out of coaching agan. I think the league has past him by but i said the Cavs were over Tyron Lue's head last year and I was WRONG. But i WILL rejoice in Stan's failure for now.
Its hard to judge Lebron's coaches. I personally think Blatt was better than Lue, but Lebron liked Lue and thats really all that mattered.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Is Lue the Coach or LeBron? I don't hold a lot of credibility in the coach of a team that has the "best" player on it with other pieces. I always thought that Phil Jackson was overrated because he never coached without arguably the best player on his team. I'm sure I will get a lot of heat for that but it's my opinion. I really don't know how good of a coach that Steve Kerr is either.

There are a lot of very good coaches out there and you can see their coaching skills without having the best players on their team.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Is Lue the Coach or LeBron? I don't hold a lot of credibility in the coach of a team that has the "best" player on it with other pieces. I always thought that Phil Jackson was overrated because he never coached without arguably the best player on his team. I'm sure I will get a lot of heat for that but it's my opinion. I really don't know how good of a coach that Steve Kerr is either.

There are a lot of very good coaches out there and you can see their coaching skills without having the best players on their team.
Yeah I think Kerr's COTY award wasnt really deserved, but when a team wins 73 games you cant really complain.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I mean if SVG was the coach of the Cavs do you think they will be as good as they are now? Of course they would be - maybe better. And he wouldn't be so angry all the time as he can just give the ball to LBJ and win games.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I mean if SVG was the coach of the Cavs do you think they will be as good as they are now? Of course they would be - maybe better. And he wouldn't be so angry all the time as he can just give the ball to LBJ and win games.
I don't know about that.  SVG has a specific style he is good at, but if he doesn't have the perfect players for his style he doesn't win.  Cleveland would be a terrible fit for SVG's style of coaching and frankly I think Lue is a pretty darn good coach.  Obviously it is hard to truly judge someone with as little experience as Lue has, especially when he has the best player in the world on his team, but I thought Lue did a great job of making adjustments against the Warriors in the Finals and he outcoached Kerr by a wide margin.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I like SVG. Every team hits a tough stretch.
I won't count them out just yet.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Yeah it happens. Between Stan and Jeff though, I like Jeff more as a coach.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They still could make some noise.  SVG is a good coach, but I have seen him "lose" his players before.  The coach always gets more credit than they deserve for winning (e.g., Kerr) and more blame than they deserve for losing.

What happened to Stanley Johnson? I wanted him for the C's back in the draft.

SVG made a good move to bring in Tobias Harris for a couple of vets, but now they just seem like a mismatched set of loose bolts.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Yeah, it happens. Between Stan and Jeff, though, I like Jeff more as a coach.
I kind of view Jeff as an analyst, and a good one at that. But he has been broadcasting last 10 years.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
need to shoot more 3's.

Unfortunately Drummond looks like he won't be much more than a Deandre Jordan level player at this stage. Hurts the offensive spacing and gets less rebounds as they shoot more threes.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Veteran teams like the Cavs seem to prefer former player coaches like Lue. Who also aren't afraid to tell it like it is (e.g., will stand up to Lebron, which Blatt would not).

KC Jones was not a great x's and o's coach like Bill Fitch, but was a better coach for that team because he knew the player's mind set better, enough to get out of the way of the players.

Why I like Stevens is that he seems to be a blend of a great tactician while at the same time lacks the ego of those types of coaches (e.g., Stan Van Gundy, Bill Fitch, George Karl, Larry Brown).  That is very rare in the NBA coaching circles.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Tonight will Be a good test for them against Atlanta at Home. Especially since SVG had the kiss of death vote of confidence.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
They still could make some noise.  SVG is a good coach, but I have seen him "lose" his players before.  The coach always gets more credit than they deserve for winning (e.g., Kerr) and more blame than they deserve for losing.

What happened to Stanley Johnson? I wanted him for the C's back in the draft.

SVG made a good move to bring in Tobias Harris for a couple of vets, but now they just seem like a mismatched set of loose bolts.

I think SVG the GM doesn't work well with SVG the coach. He brings in, either via trade, draft, or singing, players that he doesn't utilize as a coach.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I also do not like the coach-GM combo.

But SVG is one of my fave coaches, I believe the Pistons will make it to the playoffs.