Author Topic: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.  (Read 9349 times)

Re: Van Gundy failing in Detriot.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I mean if SVG was the coach of the Cavs do you think they will be as good as they are now? Of course they would be - maybe better. And he wouldn't be so angry all the time as he can just give the ball to LBJ and win games.
I thought Detroit was going to be a very good team this year based on how they finished last year after acquiring Harris.  I thought another year together would have them as a low 50's win team.  I'm very surprised at how bad they have looked at times and how mediocre (at best) they have been on the season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Van Gundy Failing in Detroit.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Stan Van Gundy is not failing in Detroit.

Detroit have had a major injury to Reggie Jackson. He has missed half the season so far with injury and just as the team was learning to play without him, he returns and the chemistry is disrupted. Jackson, while he has returned, is still not up to full speed. He is recovering while playing and is not having the same effect on the court. His defense in particular is not where it should be. Causing further disruption to the team.

The problems in Detroit will resolve themselves over time once Reggie Jackson fully recovers from his injury and gets back to where he was last season and when the team reestablishes it's chemistry with him in the lineup.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I also do not like the coach-GM combo.

But SVG is one of my fave coaches, I believe the Pistons will make it to the playoffs.
It takes a rare breed to handle both postions. He is down on Jackson he traded for him one and then gave him the contract. Ish is a better fit as pass first PG for this team. Nobody is going to give him value for Jackson. With 6 awesome PG's coming in to the league next year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really thought Detroit was going to be a very good team this year.  I had them pegged as a 50 win team with the way they finished last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Detroit have had a major injury to Reggie Jackson. He has missed half the season so far with injury and just as the team was learning to play without him, he returns and the chemistry is disrupted. Jackson, while he has returned, is still not up to full speed. He is recovering while playing and is not having the same effect on the court. His defense in particular is not where it should be. Causing further disruption to the team.

The problems in Detroit will resolve themselves over time once Reggie Jackson fully recovers from his injury and gets back to where he was last season and when the team reestablishes it's chemistry with him in the lineup.

Completely agree.

Once they are adversity-free, let's see what they do.

SVG is a good coach - even if he is the spitting image of Ron Jeremy.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Being the Coach and GM is a poison pill

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
The last years of the Joe Dumars era were basically a disaster ("the AI experiment", Ben Gordon, Charlie V signings etc.). SVG took over a very unbalanced team (e.g. playing two centers) with poor chemistry.
I think he has done a decent job of bringing in some talent and balancing the roster, but there are still challenges.
Drummond is still just a yuuge pouting kid with no BBIQ and a poor motor. I doubt he will develop to the beast everyone was expecting, regardless of coach.
Jackson's blend of low BBIQ and selfishness is also a very bad combo. Hard to fix that for a coach.
Stanley Johnson hasn't developed at all (could possibly be on the coach)
KCP is a nice player but still inconsistent. You could put Morris in this category too.

I really cannot see this team becoming relevant any time soon. Trading Jackson would be a start.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Completely agree.

Once they are adversity-free, let's see what they do.

SVG is a good coach - even if he is the spitting image of Ron Jeremy.

No sentence is a good one with spitting, image, and Ron Jeremy in it.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I thought Detroit would've at least stayed as an 8th seed this season. Tis' a shame, they play really physical... never a boring game against them.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »

• Don Chaney
The last years of the Joe Dumars era were basically a disaster ("the AI experiment", Ben Gordon, Charlie V signings etc.). SVG took over a very unbalanced team (e.g. playing two centers) with poor chemistry.
I think he has done a decent job of bringing in some talent and balancing the roster, but there are still challenges.
Drummond is still just a yuuge pouting kid with no BBIQ and a poor motor. I doubt he will develop to the beast everyone was expecting, regardless of coach.
Jackson's blend of low BBIQ and selfishness is also a very bad combo. Hard to fix that for a coach.
Stanley Johnson hasn't developed at all (could possibly be on the coach)
KCP is a nice player but still inconsistent. You could put Morris in this category too.

I really cannot see this team becoming relevant any time soon. Trading Jackson would be a start.
SVG Drafted Johnson and Gave money to Jackson and Drummond hence he is failing in Detroit. We just will have to keep watching it play out. Morris looked good last night though.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »

• Don Chaney
So good to see Detroit drop like a rock. The man can not coach. Hopefully the misery will end.Jackson is back up PG making the green. Drummond looks like he counts his green instead of getting better. Practice your FT for the kind of money. Stanley Johnson looks like a bust. KCP will be a Net. Could not happen to a bigger loser then Van Gundy. I just called like I see it.

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So good to see Detroit drop like a rock. The man can not coach. Hopefully the misery will end.Jackson is back up PG making the green. Drummond looks like he counts his green instead of getting better. Practice your FT for the kind of money. Stanley Johnson looks like a bust. KCP will be a Net. Could not happen to a bigger loser then Van Gundy. I just called like I see it.
You don't seem like the biggest fan  ;D
But I also think you're being quite too harsh upon Detroit.

As Who said, not having Reggie Jackson has hurt them considerably, considering he's a 17ppg, 6apg and 3rpg guy when he's healthy. If that's what you deem to be a back up PG then only about 10 point guards in the entire league deserve to start.

Also pretty difficult to call a guy a bust after almost two seasons, where he is only playing 17mpg this season.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It his not SVG's fault that Detroit's centerpiece is the worst free throw shooter in the history of basketball.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It his not SVG's fault that Detroit's centerpiece is the worst free throw shooter in the history of basketball.

SVG is also the GM, he could have traded that centerpiece when the value was higher.

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Andris Biedrins had some pretty rough seasons too, but I feel as though a big issue is the two roles for SVG
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)