Poll

Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?

Yes
29 (74.4%)
No
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?  (Read 3877 times)

Re: Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
This is the type of move that Auerbach would make. It actually makes sense for both teams.
Of course, another option would be the number 1 pick (via Brooklyn) for Smart or Bradley,
for the 3 and 7. 

Likely, Ainge has to decide on IT and Bradley. With Horford's contract, and Boston looking for a major free agent, it makes sense to consider what players fit into the long term plans. 
OKC went through this with Harden. And while they didn't get bank- for him, they had to make a move.

Simmons, like the  players in the draft is still an unproven commodity. While Avery Bradley is a feisty defensive guard, who can hit a 3 and make plays. He is an asset to whatever team he is on, and a veteran presence.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I don't think the talent going in or out for both teams is terribly unfair. However, Philly laughs at this offer for a different reason.

Contract control.

Simmons and whoever is picked with the lakers pick are locked in to contracts for years.

#1 pick they get back is, but Bradley will be due for an extension, and he will be commanding a pretty hefty payday. This is a guy who has been underpaid his entire career, and I doubt will be taking any "team friendly" deals.

I assumed he'd extend with him once he got there, which shouldn't be a problem given Philly's pretty open cap sheet.

Re: Would you trade the Brooklyn swap at #1 for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 07:08:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'd like to know why people think Philly would laugh this off.

I admit that I'm no draft expert and don't know much about this draft. But from what I've seen and read, Fultz has just as high, if not higher, ceiling than Simmons, who also now has injury concerns.

What else would need to be added to it for it to work? Would adding Bradley make it work in your opinion?

I can't imagine that they would turn down a Bradley and the number one pick for Simmons and the number 7 pick, especially with the Colangelos' stance of wanting more veterans and fewer rookies on their team.

EDIT: I was stupid and thinking I had another pick in addition to the Brooklyn swap going. Edited the trade proposal to compensate for this.

Philly laughs this off because Fultz does not have a higher ceiling than Simmons.  Imo Simmons would be consensus number one in this draft by a good margin.  This is a deep draft, but doesn't have that sure fire franchise guy at the top.

If you think Simmons and Fultz are equivalent talent wise, then you're trading Bradley for the Lakers pick, currently around #7.  That might make sense if you think you're going to have a hard time signing him in two years, but it sure would hurt in the short run.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Separate the deal into its components:

This was defined as us having #1 and trading it for the #1 from last year - This year's #1 pick is slightly more valuable than Simmons because he is in the books as injured for much of his rookie year controlled salary. His talent development this year is lost. It may also be true that teams view some talent this year as better than him. I don't think he is seen as more talented than the best of this year's class.

Bradley for the Laker Pick- seems pretty stupid to trade a guy just entering his prime as a near all-star two way player who fits in perfectly, to get a 7-9 pick.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's not like the 76ers are hurting for cap space.  In fact they are projected to clear 30m worth of salary next season.

Besides if they ever plan to start winning they will need a veteran and a real PG. Bradley would give them that.  Fultz would give them that.

I don't think this trade is likely but not because of salary reasons.

It's because 76ers likely feel invested in Simmons since they drafted him.  Do they love Fultz or Ball as much as they do Simmons?  #7 is unlikely to produce a star player if that's how far that pick falls.  #1 better bring back a franchise player.  But are they convinced that Simmons is that guy?  Better yet, would Ainge be convinced that Simmons is that guy?

I don't think the talent going in or out for both teams is terribly unfair. However, Philly laughs at this offer for a different reason.

Contract control.

Simmons and whoever is picked with the lakers pick are locked in to contracts for years.

#1 pick they get back is, but Bradley will be due for an extension, and he will be commanding a pretty hefty payday. This is a guy who has been underpaid his entire career, and I doubt will be taking any "team friendly" deals.

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'd definitely make the trade but the Sixers wouldn't.  I don't see us re-signing all three of Thomas, Bradley and Smart after next season.  I could see the Sixers interested in Bradley since he'd be a good fit with Simmons and Embiid but not at the cost of Simmons. 

If Simmons were in this draft, it would be a closer call but he'd still be the clear #1 pick.  Simmons has the potential to be a unique talent and an excellent pairing with Embiid.  Trading the #7 pick for Bradley doesn't make sense for the Sixers with him being a free agent after next season and this being a strong draft.  He's certainly going to get a lot of interest in free agency so I'd say the chance of him re-signing with the Sixers would be 50/50 at best. 

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It's not like the 76ers are hurting for cap space.  In fact they are projected to clear 30m worth of salary next season.

Besides if they ever plan to start winning they will need a veteran and a real PG. Bradley would give them that.  Fultz would give them that.

It's because 76ers likely feel invested in Simmons since they drafted him.  Do they love Fultz or Ball as much as they do Simmons?  #7 is unlikely to produce a star player if that's how far that pick falls.  #1 better bring back a franchise player.  But are they convinced that Simmons is that guy?  Better yet, would Ainge be convinced that Simmons is that guy?

Contract control.

Bradley is an undersized 2. It would be a disaster with him running the point. I would take Rozier instead, if I am Philly. Better ball handler, younger and much cheaper with ceiling just as good, if not better than Bradley.

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Contract control.

Bradley is an undersized 2. It would be a disaster with him running the point. I would take Rozier instead, if I am Philly. Better ball handler, younger and much cheaper with ceiling just as good, if not better than Bradley.
I hope you're not proposing Rozier and the #1 pick for Simmons and the #7 pick as a legitimate trade.  There are at least 5 PGs in this draft better than Rozier. 

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
This blog is getting weird with all these philly draft trade proposals. I get the fascination with their bigs given our team, but getting more drafts picks and trying to trade with them when we somehow have lucked into potentially having a 50 win season and a #1 pick strikes me as really bizarre

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
This blog is getting weird with all these philly draft trade proposals. I get the fascination with their bigs given our team, but getting more drafts picks and trying to trade with them when we somehow have lucked into potentially having a 50 win season and a #1 pick strikes me as really bizarre

Do you deny that Simmons would be a better fit than someone like Fultz for us?

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

It's not whether Simmons is a better fit. In my eyes he's a better talent physically and skill-wise and would still probably go #1 overall in this draft. What people need to understand is that this draft is better, but it's because it has a deeper talent pool of top tier prospects not because any one prospect is better than Simmons.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Yes but Philly wouldn't. Simmons would still go 1st overall in this draft I believe

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It's not whether Simmons is a better fit. In my eyes he's a better talent physically and skill-wise and would still probably go #1 overall in this draft. What people need to understand is that this draft is better, but it's because it has a deeper talent pool of top tier prospects not because any one prospect is better than Simmons.
I dont watch enough college, but what Ive seen and read about these prospects leads me to believe this as well. Seems like a great draft to be 6th or 3rd and a kinda Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty one (relatively) to be first.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
How does Philly get Fultz AND Tatum if they traded the Lakers pick?

I voted no because:

1. AB >>> Monk at least for the next 3-5 years (our window)

2. Fultz >/= Simmons. I think Fultz could be a great option with IT kinda like CJ and Lillard. Then let AB walk or trade this time next year.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
How does Philly get Fultz AND Tatum if they traded the Lakers pick?

I voted no because:

1. AB >>> Monk at least for the next 3-5 years (our window)

2. Fultz >/= Simmons. I think Fultz could be a great option with IT kinda like CJ and Lillard. Then let AB walk or trade this time next year.
Philly still has their own pick in this trade
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip