Poll

Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?

Yes
29 (74.4%)
No
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?  (Read 3878 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Figuring that this year's draft is stacked but full of guards, would you consider trading Bradley and the number one pick to Philly for Simmons and the Lakers pick?

Rationale:

For Boston, our guard rotation is one of the best in the league, and we need much more help in the bigs department than the guards/swings. Adding Simmons rather than Fultz would help solve that problem and allow us to continue to realistically compete by filling a hole in our roster, while also not sacrificing our future by still having a very high-ceiling player in Simmons. Further, the Lakers pick (assuming at pick 7) could then be used for someone like Malik Monk, who is ideally a good fit with Smart in the backcourt going forward, and including Bradley would solve the free agent payment issue in 2018.

We could then roll out the following lineup next year:
PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Smart, Monk
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Simmons, ?
C: Horford,?

For Philly, even if they would trade Noel there would still would be a logjam in the frontcourt with Embiid, Okafor, Holmes, Simmons, Saric, and Ilyasova, who they've expressed some interest in resigning for a veteran presence. This trade would help clear that logjam and give them the top guard prospect in the draft, which they desperately need. This would also be helped by the fact that I think they'll end up around pick 5 in the draft with their own pick, which would put them out of range for the top guard prospects in Fultz, Ball, and Smith, who are seemingly a step above the next tier of guard prospects.

They could then focus on a wing in the 5th pick, such as Tatum or Jackson, and this would allow them to resign Noel and complete their "twin towers" lineup that they so desperately want. While not a perfect fit offensively, that's a devastating defensive pairing that could be a force for years to come. They would also add Bradley to the mix, which gives them an excellent model vet to surround their rookies with, who is also an ideal fit at the 2 for them. This would leave them with the following lineup next year:

PG: Fultz, McConnell, Bayless
SG: Bradley, TLC, Henderson
SF: Tatum/Jackson, Covington
PF: Embiid, Saric, Holmes
C: Noel, Okafor

Admittedly, Philly would probably have to be enamored with Fultz to make this deal happen, though I think it'd be almost a certainty that they take Fultz over Simmons in last year's draft, and Boston would have to think that Simmons has an equitable ceiling to Fultz and would fit in our system, which I think he would. But this has the possibility to be a win-win scenario for both teams.

So what do you think? Would you give up Bradley and the number one pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:01:54 PM by jpotter33 »

Re: Would you trade the Brooklyn swap at #1 for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I would do it, but not sure Philly ever would

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
They'd laugh at us.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yeah, Philly tells us to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. off.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd do it, but it's hard to see a situation where Philly would.

Maybe if Simmons comes back this year and it looks like he and Embiid can't play together, PLUS they drop in the lottery but are absolutely enamored with Fultz.  It's hard to see all of that working out (and even if it did all work out, seeing them willing to do it)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd like to know why people think Philly would laugh this off.

I admit that I'm no draft expert and don't know much about this draft. But from what I've seen and read, Fultz has just as high, if not higher, ceiling than Simmons, who also now has injury concerns.

What else would need to be added to it for it to work? Would adding Bradley make it work in your opinion?

I can't imagine that they would turn down a Bradley and the number one pick for Simmons and the number 7 pick, especially with the Colangelos' stance of wanting more veterans and fewer rookies on their team.

EDIT: I was stupid and thinking I had another pick in addition to the Brooklyn swap going. Edited the trade proposal to compensate for this.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:04:14 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
A trade like that wouldn't happen until / unless the Cs won the lottery. Until the ping pong balls bounce neither GM would roll the dice on that kind of deal.

Even then I don't think either GM does it. Too much risk on either end. If Simmons becomes a star then the 76ers GM loses his job. If Fultz (or whoever) becomes a star then Ainge looks like a massive loser. That's why you rarely see those kind of deals made.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Re: Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
There, I changed it to Bradley and the number 1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick.

For some reason I was thinking there was another pick going to Philly from us in addition to the Brooklyn swap. My bad - not sure what I was thinking.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Simmons would be awesome on this team next to Horford playing for Brad Stevens. I'd love to see that. Yes, I'd happily make this trade.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
What pick is the Lakers picks?  Is the fact you just call it that means it has rolled over to 2018, because then no I wouldn't even consider it.  If you mean making the trade this season before you know where the BKN picks lands, it is worth looking at, but definitely means Boston is giving up on the playoffs this year (Boston will still make the playoff but with Simmons and no Bradley probably isn't getting out of the 1st round).  If it is Simmons and 7 for Bradley and 1, I would consider that depending on what I thought of Simmons and Fultz. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
What pick is the Lakers picks?  Is the fact you just call it that means it has rolled over to 2018, because then no I wouldn't even consider it.  If you mean making the trade this season before you know where the BKN picks lands, it is worth looking at, but definitely means Boston is giving up on the playoffs this year (Boston will still make the playoff but with Simmons and no Bradley probably isn't getting out of the 1st round).  If it is Simmons and 7 for Bradley and 1, I would consider that depending on what I thought of Simmons and Fultz.

I figure any deal like this wouldn't go down until the lottery occurs and we were assured the number one pick, which would also let Simmons prove that he's healthy the rest of the season, too.

I also figured the Sixers pick would be at 5 and the Lakers pick at 7 or so, I just assumed it would be Bradley and the number one pick for Simmons and the number seven pick.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Who comes up with these polls?

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
That's good thinking, if it gets to that.  The C's would need to do something to avoid a logjam at the guard position and strengthen the front court.  TP for creative, forward looking thinking.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I don't think the talent going in or out for both teams is terribly unfair. However, Philly laughs at this offer for a different reason.

Contract control.

Simmons and whoever is picked with the lakers pick are locked in to contracts for years.

#1 pick they get back is, but Bradley will be due for an extension, and he will be commanding a pretty hefty payday. This is a guy who has been underpaid his entire career, and I doubt will be taking any "team friendly" deals.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
There is still question marks about Simmon's motor and competitiveness. If we are to trade for him, might as well draft Jackson. Same skillsets except Jackson have more competitive fire on him and relentlessly attacks the basket.