Author Topic: Does this team contend? (trade Ideas)  (Read 1537 times)

Does this team contend? (trade Ideas)
« on: January 13, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
C - Robin Lopez
PF - Horford
SF - Carmelo Anothny
SG - Bradley
PG - I Thomas

Rotation
Smart
Crowder
Olynk

Trade 1

Rozier, Zeller and Jerebko

For

Robin Lopez

Bulls Get - Cap clearing contracts and a young PG on a rookie scale contract.
Celtics Get - Their big that they desperately need.

Trade 2

Johnson, Brown, Young, Mickey and Gerald Green

For

Carmelo Anthony

Knicks get - Cap clearing salary and some youth including 2016 lottery pick Jaylen Brown with an eye towards the future

Celtics get - Scoring 3, cusp superstar on the downside of his career.

Trades like this would allow the Celtics to seriously compete now and open the door for taking the best players available in the upcoming 2017 and 2018 Drafts.

Thoughts?

Re: Does this team contend? (trade Ideas)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Melo is just not worth of our young assets. I would give Jonas, Zeller and Amir for him, but of young assets only Young could be thrown in. Melo is an fancy old-timer that we could only use as a good addition to our winning roster. We can improve our game only if we add someone like Butler or George or Cousins. If Melo would have been a rim protector (in some alternative universe), he would be more than welcome.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Contend, yeah maybe. Win a title, no way.  Melo has proven not to be a winner and Lopez would be a stop-gap but he's not championship center.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think it gets us over the hump. We'd still be a #2 / #3 seed in the East, assuming chemistry didn't explode.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No, I don't think so.

I think it would be too easy to defend. The paint clogged with Robin Lopez. A slow front court with Robin Lopez (below average athlete), Horford (average to below average athlete PF) and Melo at SF (below average speed). I think that lack of speed and mobility combined with the reduction in floor spacing with R.Lopez & the iso-tendencies of Melo will hurt movement on offense. Ball and player movement.

And it will make it harder for Isaiah to find driving lanes (due to reduced spacing and less movement) and decrease his effectiveness. Will allow the defense more time between the ball and the rim instead of scrambling on team defense after Isaiah's drives to get out to all those shooters and quicker more mobile forwards.

Against top teams, I think their defenses can bother that offense.

I also think the Celtics defense would be an issue with the starters. Melo is a bottom 5 defensive SF nowadays. Isaiah is the worst defensive PG in the league. That is two of the worst perimeter defenders in the league logging major minutes for you. Robin Lopez is a solid defender but an uneven one. One with clear strengths (size around the basket) and clear weaknesses (lack of footspeed, perimeter defense). Al Horford has had some issues defensively on the perimeter. Has done better defensively at C. The bench would come in with Crowder and Smart and give the team a major lift. There is enough defensive talent there to still be a good defensive team but not an elite. Say in the 8-12 range ranking wise.

Overall .... I think it is more different than better. Not enough improvement I reckon to justify the moves.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:27:30 AM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Melo makes us worse. 

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No doubt in my mind those trades make us worse.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
No, not for Melo, he's washed up. He wanted that contract so let him enjoy the bright lights of NY.
I can see Danny doing a trade either for a bona fide superstar (doubt that) or some sneaky good small trade where we keep our young players and bkn picks. That can be Noel, Bogut, R.Lopez, Koufos or some other solid big who can give us 25 minutes of hard play, quality screens, few hard fouls and 6-7 rebounds...

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't want Melo on this team ever.   There is a lot of "Me"  in his game and his name.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
If the Celtics could land a shot blocking rebounding defensive minded big and another 3 point shooting wing I think they have a shot to at least give the Cavs a 6-7 game series... and a Kyrie or Love injury away can take them ... Dont forget how injury prone they are ...

They will win a series ... If you seed now or look down the road the Celtics will probably lock a 2 or 3 ... the 6 and 7 seeds are dreadful