Author Topic: CBS: NBA trade rumors: Celtics have the best hand, & here's how they can play it  (Read 4078 times)

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
The usual suspects: Boogie, Butler, and George.

None of them in isolation bring us to the ECF, let alone win us a ring.

We would need two of them (without trading away players from our team) to become a contendor. I don't see a trade allowing this to happen.

I do not want to trade valuable picks for players that don't get us to where we want to be (playing GSW in game 7).

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

We would need two of them (without trading away players from our team) to become a contendor. I don't see a trade allowing this to happen.

I do not want to trade valuable picks for players that don't get us to where we want to be (playing GSW in game 7).

Boogie is not moving, but he in isolation absolutely brings us to the ECF barring an injury to either himself or IT.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
He lost all credibility when he said Olynyk is surprisingly effective and has good trade value.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So you're saying we would need a elite foursome of Boogie, Butler (or George), Horford and IT to win it all.  Besides the fact that it is an almost impossible get, I don't think it is necessary.  Boogie, Horford IT supplemented by the right supporting players should be enough.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-celtics-have-the-best-hand-and-heres-how-they-can-play-it/

Great read.  I loved how he used a restaurant menu, and I think he is correct for the most part.

But there is no way Bradley and Crowder are going out for Jimmy Butler.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He lost all credibility when he said Olynyk is surprisingly effective and has good trade value.

I don't think that's off base but what he didn't mention is that KO will be an RFA next year and is likely to see a big bump in salary - at that pay he is of course less valuable.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
!st choice is Noel plus one of George/Butler.

2nd choice would be Noel and Fultz.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

So you're saying we would need a elite foursome of Boogie, Butler (or George), Horford and IT to win it all. Besides the fact that it is an almost impossible get, I don't think it is necessary.  Boogie, Horford IT supplemented by the right supporting players should be enough.

That is exactly what I'm saying. We are Player 1 and Player 2 away from a championship contender. We already have #3 and #4 in IT and Horford.

I know IT has been scoring like a mad man, so he might be our #2 guy. Heck, Horford might be our #3. We would need a top 5 (not even top 10) wing to couple with these guys to beat GSW. Lebron, Durant, Kawhi would get the job done.

I know it hurts people's feeling to point out that this league is won by the best players. We need one or two more of the best players to be the best team. Are there exceptions? Sure.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

We're 1 game out of the #2 seed in the east, and adding an All-Star *in isolation* isn't enough for ECF?

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

So you're saying we would need a elite foursome of Boogie, Butler (or George), Horford and IT to win it all. Besides the fact that it is an almost impossible get, I don't think it is necessary.  Boogie, Horford IT supplemented by the right supporting players should be enough.

That is exactly what I'm saying. We are Player 1 and Player 2 away from a championship contender. We already have #3 and #4 in IT and Horford.

I know IT has been scoring like a mad man, so he might be our #2 guy. Heck, Horford might be our #3. We would need a top 5 (not even top 10) wing to couple with these guys to beat GSW. Lebron, Durant, Kawhi would get the job done.

I know it hurts people's feeling to point out that this league is won by the best players. We need one or two more of the best players to be the best team. Are there exceptions? Sure.

If the Celtics play elite defense, I'd say they're only a guy away from having a legit, though small, chance at a trip to the Finals and a title.  Neither Cleveland nor Golden State strike me as unbeatable foes this season. We'd kind of be the new version of Indiana.

One factor in all this is how long is IT going to last.  God bless him and he deserves all the money he can get after his performance but he's already 27.  Allen Iverson was bigger and at least one entire level above IT and AI started to fall off after 30.

Mike

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

We're 1 game out of the #2 seed in the east, and adding an All-Star *in isolation* isn't enough for ECF?

I took it as going from "maybe getting to the ECF" to "definitely going to the ECF barring any injuries".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

How are you going to trade for them in isolation? You have to give up contracts to get someone.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Sweet read!

I love trade ideas... 8)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think you could add Cousins or Butler and get ahead of Toronto, but I still think there would be a sizeable gap between us and the contenders.   

Most of this article is common knowledge around here.  The one line I liked was when he said the worst-case scenario is Boston peaking as the 2nd best team in the East.  That's an extremely real possibility if they gave up on the lure of the draft to add a non-franchise player like Butler.  Our window would eventually close and we'd have to blow it up.