Author Topic: Would you trade the #1 pick to Philly for #4 and #8?  (Read 14457 times)

Re: Would you trade the #1 pick to Philly for #4 and #8?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
As for #1 for #4, #8 I'd say generally it's a bad idea.

I think it all depends on who is available.  This isn't the Lebron draft as far as I am aware (or even Oden/Durant).  Danny has publicly stated that the top 5 are all kind of even right now.  Let's say that is the case up to draft day.  If he thinks that the guy he would pick at #1 or #1 will slide to #4, then maybe it is a good idea to do it.

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not a chance in he//

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
We have no roster space to take another rookie aside from the BKN pick, unless he can be stashed.

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes. Deeper draft than it is top-heavy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If we could get Jackson and Giles, or Taytum and Giles. Heck yes.

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Having a combination Of Taytum and Brown write be ideal. Taytum is the Yin to Browns Yang. They are complete opposites.

And if we added Giles too that's just nuts.

Horford
 Giles
 Taytum/Crowder/Brown
 Bradley
 Thomas

Imagine having three very Good NBA Swingman that can switch and play PF as well.

Horford, Giles, Yabu, Zizic, Mickey that did be our future Frontcourt. Add Milsap and it's awesome.

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
NOPE. You don't trade a dollar for change in the NBA.

I would trade the rights to Fultz in a package for Cousins though.

Now he might be the final piece, as long as he can hold it together in Boston.

BTW if Fultz projects to a CP3 level player, it would be the worst trade of all time.  To trade #1 for #4 + #8... Just No.

6'10 wingspan btw to go with his 6'4 height.  FREAK!

https://theringer.com/washington-markelle-fultz-2017-nba-draft-bc5913d07fc2#.s6vvhs4wx
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:38:42 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Historically how many drafts even have 4 HOFers.  The only fairly recent draft I can think of that fits that bill is 2003 where James, Anthony, Wade, and Bosh were all top 5 picks.  West, Korver, Josh Howard, Kaman, and Mo Williams also all made all star teams.  So even in that draft would you trade James for Bosh and Korver?  Of course not.  Now if you had 2 and 4 for 1, that is something to think about I mean Anthony and Bosh or Wade might be worth considering, though I think ultimately most people would still rather have James than Anthony and Bosh or Wade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Historically how many drafts even have 4 HOFers.  The only fairly recent draft I can think of that fits that bill is 2003 where James, Anthony, Wade, and Bosh were all top 5 picks.  West, Korver, Josh Howard, Kaman, and Mo Williams also all made all star teams.  So even in that draft would you trade James for Bosh and Korver?  Of course not.  Now if you had 2 and 4 for 1, that is something to think about I mean Anthony and Bosh or Wade might be worth considering, though I think ultimately most people would still rather have James than Anthony and Bosh or Wade.

Your under the assumption that the #1 pick in this draft is a Lebron level talent. Since Lebron will likely be considered a top 3 player by the time he is done, that is quite an assumption.

As I mentioned earlier, I would be interested in a trade especially if we were able to use the #4 plus players for an all-star upgrade, while keeping the #8 (Giles or somebody of that caliber). That way we get still get a top prospect while getting even better now.

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Your under the assumption that the #1 pick in this draft is a Lebron level talent. Since Lebron will likely be considered a top 3 player by the time he is done, that is quite an assumption.

As I mentioned earlier, I would be interested in a trade especially if we were able to use the #4 plus players for an all-star upgrade, while keeping the #8 (Giles or somebody of that caliber). That way we get still get a top prospect while getting even better now.
How about 2009?  Curry, Harden, Griffin, DeRozan, Holiday, Teague, Lawson, Gibson.  I mean is Curry/Harden/Griffin worth DeRozan and Gibson

Or maybe 2010.  Cousins, George, Wall, Favors, Monroe, Bledsoe, Bradley, Patterson.  Is Cousins/George/Wall worth Favors and Patterson. 

You can pick basically any draft, even ones with a lot of quality players and the difference between 1 vs. 4 and 8 is immense.  Even drafts thought to be very deep at the top, it is still immense.  It is a bit different if it is 1 vs. 2 and 4.  Then it is something to think about, but 1 vs. 4 and 8 should never be a discussion.

Now obviously you have to get the draft pick right as some of those great players went in positions where you could draft them at 4, but you can't think you are going to draft wrong in that scenario. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:03:39 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Absolutely yes.

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Now obviously you have to get the draft pick right as some of those great players went in positions where you could draft them at 4, but you can't think you are going to draft wrong in that scenario.

What? But that's the entire point here. If Ainge thinks he can get two players that are about the same quality as the #1 selection, then I want him to do it. I would gladly trade the #1 for #5 and #10 if it meant I was trading John Wall for Cousins and George (where each player was drafted).

We aren't talking a homerun here with the #1 like Lebron or Duncan, at least not yet. If Fultz puts himself in that conversation, then I certainly hope we keep the pick.

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

What? But that's the entire point here. If Ainge thinks he can get two players that are about the same quality as the #1 selection, then I want him to do it. I would gladly trade the #1 for #5 and #10 if it meant I was trading John Wall for Cousins and George (where each player was drafted).

We aren't talking a homerun here with the #1 like Lebron or Duncan, at least not yet. If Fultz puts himself in that conversation, then I certainly hope we keep the pick.
but you can't assume the teams drafting 1 - 3 are going to get it wrong.  And even if they do it doesn't mean Boston will get it right.  I mean look at how often Ainge missed on a pick.  Heck in 2014 look at some of the players that went within 10 spots after James Young i.e. Gary Harris, Rodney Hood, Clint Capela.  And it is certainly debatable whether Marcus Smart was the right pick at 6 that same year.  Same thing in 2013 with KO.  And in basically every draft.  Ainge isn't some draft guru that never misses.  So even if some other team misses, it doesn't mean Ainge is going to make the right call either.

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The reason I'd do it is it'd give us a possible chance at Giles + another player who's not a injury risk (Bridges, Isaac, Fox) whoever might slide down, that is still a solid prospect. A Harry Giles and Miles Bridges haul would be equal to Fultz. We don't need the depth but some of that depth will either get traded, possibly not develop or leave via FA. So you never know. But I wouldn't go asking Philly if they wanted the pick. If they want it bad enough make them make an offer we can't refuse (+ a future 1st exchange option).

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Sixers winning again today. They could be alone in the 5th draft slot after today. How the lottery plays out this year will be so fascinating. There are so many teams jumbled up in the West in particular. When will Dallas, Pelicans, Suns Lakers etc know what they want to do? It seems any of those teams could somehow get a bit hot and be within a game or two of the playoffs. Portland got throttled again today and I have no confidence they will be able to run away with the 8th spot.