Author Topic: Would you trade the #1 pick to Philly for #4 and #8?  (Read 14383 times)

Re: Would you trade the #1 pick to Philly for #4 and #8?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Has there ever been a situation where a team traded the #1 for a combo of lesser lottery picks? I doubt it.

Only way I'm trading the #1 pick if the C's get it is if it involves a star player.

Chris Weber (#1) for Penny Hardaway (#3) and 3 future 1sts.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Celts traded 1 for 3 and Parish. Turned out okay.

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Celts traded 1 for 3 and Parish. Turned out okay.

wasn't it one and thirteen?

The biggest news of the season came a full four months before the season started. On June 9, 1980, Red Auerbach pulled off the type of trade that had earned him a reputation for thievery in his more than three decades in the league. Auerbach dealt the first and 13th picks in the 1980 NBA Draft to Golden State for the third pick in the 1980 Draft and four-year veteran center Robert Parish. The Warriors selected Purdue center Joe Barry Carroll with the first pick and tabbed Mississippi forward Rickey Brown 13th. The Celtics took forward Kevin McHale of Minnesota, and thus added Parish and McHale to a frontcourt that already featured Larry Bird and Cedric Maxwell. In one trade, Auerbach had acquired a frontcourt for the next decade.

http://www.nba.com/history/season/19801981.html

We drafted McHale with the third pick.

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This particular draft may play out so something like this is a consideration, more likely if we end up with 2 over 1 but either way.  I think if we did this, we might flip the second of the picks in a trade or for a future pick.  That could still result in good value.  As others have said, our roster is a bit crowded with young players right now so taking two first rounders although possible does have a downside.

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
This is arguably the most loaded draft since the LeBron draft. So looking at that draft, trading 1 for 4 & 8 would have been trading LeBron James for Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford.  Now LeBron looked great but he only played against HS talent he was completely  unproven, but Both Bosh and Ford looked great against the superior NCAA competition.  Look at the past drafts, some times the #1 was a bust, but that had really been dude to injury our immaturity.  In a perfect world you're trading the best poster for the 4th and 8th best.  How manny drafts have 4 super stars let alone 8?  You're trading a chance at a star for a chance at 2 role players. 

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
This is arguably the most loaded draft since the LeBron draft. So looking at that draft, trading 1 for 4 & 8 would have been trading LeBron James for Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford.  Now LeBron looked great but he only played against HS talent he was completely  unproven, but Both Bosh and Ford looked great against the superior NCAA competition.  Look at the past drafts, some times the #1 was a bust, but that had really been dude to injury our immaturity.  In a perfect world you're trading the best poster for the 4th and 8th best.  How manny drafts have 4 super stars let alone 8?  You're trading a chance at a star for a chance at 2 role players.

There is no one even close to being considered the level of prospect as LeBron. Lets not kid ourselves. It didnt matter that he was playing against HS kids. LeBron was a freak in HS. This is not a good example at all.

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

There is no one even close to being considered the level of prospect as LeBron. Lets not kid ourselves. It didnt matter that he was playing against HS kids. LeBron was a freak in HS. This is not a good example at all.

Show me a draft where the 4th and 8th best players were better than the first.  I used that draft because it was deep and had multiple stars, no combination of which is as good as its best player.  There are drafts where the best player isn't the first pick, but with the first pick you have the ability to get any player, and its on the team to make the right pick.  The year LeBron came out I thought Melo was the better player.  I would have messed that pick up.  If the team makes the right choice the #1 pick is the way to go because the single best player in every draft is better than the 4th and 8th best players.  In order for the trade to work the teams that pick 2,3,5,6 & 7 have to mess up and we have to be spot on twice.  If we keep the number one pick, all we have to do is figure out who the best player is and take him, we're not depending on 5 other teams to make big time errors in player evaluation.  Also Danny has said he see 4 or 5 top level talents in this draft, so if he is right the 8th pick wont be any better than what we already have.  So we would be hoping the first three teams all make mistakes so we can steel the best player at 4.  It is  a mistake to trade down with the top pick. 

The only reason it could look like a good deal is by looking at times where teams made bad picks and good players fell in the draft.  in 2009 Blake Griffin went 1st,  Tyreke Evans went 4th and    Jordan Hill went 8th.  What would you rather have?   So Stephen Curry went 7th that draft and if we redrafted he'd be #1 Harden would be two and Griffen would go third, leaving the 4th and 8th picks possibly being DeMar DeRozan and Taj Gibson, but there is such a big drop after Griffin that those pick could have easily been other players.   Point being if properly evaluated the top player is better then any combination of the 4th or 8th best player.  Heck, the top three best players are better than any combination of players out of the top 5.   Really all the trade talk is talk.  If we get a top three pick, let alone the #1 pick, we have to keep it and it is on Danny to get it it right.

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope - PLEASE take the BPA, Danny.

Do that, THEN we can bargain.

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think there's almost a zero chance of Danny trading the #1 for more picks. He'd have to really be of the mind that there was little difference in the top 5-10 players.  But as many have said, we don't need more quantity, we need more quality at the top.

If he made any trade with the #1, I think it'd be for an established star. But even then, you'd have to find the right team. And I'm not even sure that's really out there. Sure, the Bulls would probably give us Jimmy Butler, but do you really want to give up a cost controlled potential franchise player for a guy who is a star, but certainly not on the transcendent level (a la LeBron James)? Probably not.

Long story short, if the C's are lucky enough to get the pick, I think Danny holds onto it.

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Has there ever been a situation where a team traded the #1 for a combo of lesser lottery picks? I doubt it.

Only way I'm trading the #1 pick if the C's get it is if it involves a star player.

Yeah, that really didn't end up working very well for the Magic.

Take BPA. Worry about the rest later.

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

kinda similar actually. They had Shaq and ended up opting for Penny primarily because Shaq didnt want to have another big.

Difference obviously being that Thomas is not a Shaq level player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

To be fair, Orlando won 50 games, then made the finals with Penny. Then Shaq got hurt and went to LA. They also ended up drafting Mike Miller with one of those picks, who won ROY. It's not clear their fortunes would have been any better with Webber even if Hardaway's health ultimately gave him the lesser career.

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
As for #1 for #4, #8 I'd say generally it's a bad idea.

Bogut for Chris Paul and Andrew Bynum is one example of a year it would have been a great call, though.

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Unless of course you trade the #1 and # 13 and in return get # 3 and Parish.

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
No team would give up the #4 and #8 picks in this draft for the top slot.  There are some great players in this draft, but no singular star better than the rest.  Maybe #4 and pick later in the draft, but not one as high as #8.