Author Topic: Nets rumored to want two 1st round picks for Brook Lopez  (Read 1816 times)

Nets rumored to want two 1st round picks for Brook Lopez
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Saw this on RealGM. Obviously not the most credible of sources, but if there were truth to that, would the Nets even consider us as a trade partner after the fleecing we gave them?

Boston 2018, Clippers 2019, Amir, Zeller, and a couple 2nd rounders for Lopez?

Allows us to slide Horford to PF

Gives us a double-double guy at our least productive position.

Ensures the Nets remain at the bottom of the barrel for (most importantly 2017), but barring their attracting any FA's this offseason, they stay at the bottom through the 2017 season, "netting" us two top 1-5 picks.

Lopez contract is up the same time we would need to negotiate with IT, Smart, Bradley, so it's not in the way of any long-term contract extensions either.

At this point, we roll in to the playoffs with a stronger starting lineup, and barring a Jimmy Butler/PG type of trade, we are starring down the barrel of adding a #1 pick in to our system, which sounds great to me. Imagine this team (including Lopez) with a rookie like Fultz or Jackson/Tatum as an 8th/9th man in the rotation. That is a deep and young team.

Negative is that it prevents us from being able to throw a max offer at any 2017 FA's.....realistically though, none of the top names on the list seem to be linked to Boson in any way, shape, or form. Thoughts?

Re: Nets rumored to want two 1st round picks for Brook Lopez
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think Gordon Hayward will always be linked to the C's in free agency until he extends or signs elsewhere, given the Butler connection. I wouldn't trade for Lopez even if we had only a slight chance at a major offseason acquisition.

I don't hate the idea, but I also think there are other guys on the market that can give us interior presence and rebounding (like Bogut, for example) that might be had for cheaper both in terms of trade and long-term commitment.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is an excellent deal, assuming the goal is to replace a mediocre rebounder with an atrocious rebounder.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
I think Gordon Hayward will always be linked to the C's in free agency until he extends or signs elsewhere, given the Butler connection. I wouldn't trade for Lopez even if we had only a slight chance at a major offseason acquisition.

I don't hate the idea, but I also think there are other guys on the market that can give us interior presence and rebounding (like Bogut, for example) that might be had for cheaper both in terms of trade and long-term commitment.

True, but if Lopez is acquired, doesn't he become a much more "useful" expiring contract in a trade as opposed to the pupu platter of Amir/Jerbeko/Zeller (close enough), which then forces the receiving team to have to cut players they may not want to, in order to facilitate a trade? Lopez could be the centerpiece of a Hayward sign and trade to the Celtics, for salary purposes, but also is still an effective, starting caliber big-man.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I love Lopez but...

Horford is already playing PF

and

Lopez is no longer a double-double guy. He is a good scorer gets a few rebounds and blocks and can shoot the 3.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
LOL, I'll give them a mop and a bucket!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday

I love Lopez but...

Horford is already playing PF

and

Lopez is no longer a double-double guy. He is a good scorer gets a few rebounds and blocks and can shoot the 3.

Dang, just looked at Lopez stats for this season.....had no idea his boards dropped off that hard. His PPG probably takes a huge hit playing in our starting rotation as well. Still, seems like a better option then Amir/Zeller, and if it only costs us that and a couple 1st's that are late-round selections anyway (also after we would be cashing in on Nets picks), the arguments to make such a trade are still there.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Did we need another one of these threads?  I mean seriously can't we do a little due diligence before posting oldish links.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That is a crazy price for him.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Well, looks like Brook Lopez will be playing for the Brooklyn Nets this spring....

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Good luk

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 02:33:57 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
This is an excellent deal, assuming the goal is to replace a mediocre rebounder with an atrocious rebounder.

Boom.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
1.  no way Lopez makes this a contending team

2. No way is he worth one 1 to 15 draft pick let alone 2.