Author Topic: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?  (Read 14439 times)

Re: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1000
After the national parks service and tv cameras filming the innaguration showed that it was sparsely attended Trump today said there was 1-1.5 Million people there.

Trump's media secretary briefed the press saying that "this was the best attended inauguration period." He said this flanked by two photo pictures taken from an angle that doesn't show the full mall, while overhead photos showed how empty the space was.

Trump is lying about things that are extremely easily to verify as false. He is taking the American people for fools and I honestly can't believe anyone believes anything he says is true at this point.

It's such a petty thing, for liberals to point out in the first place and for Trump to get defensive about.

"Only" 900,000 people showed up for Trump's inauguration? So? It's more than any Republican ever, and more than anybody put Clinton and Obama. D.C. votes over 90% Democrat, as do Maryland and northern Virginia.

Let's hold the inauguration in Alabama and see what the turnout is like, you know? My guess is that Republicans would draw bigger crowds than Democrats, and it would be equally meaningless.

That's a fair point.

Quite frankly, I find the whole concept of the pomp and circumstance surrounding such events like a Presidential inauguration to be a bit silly.  I guess I just don't really care about it.  Just have a formal swearing in behind closed doors and be done with it.  Who's paying for this anyway?  Waste of time and waste of money.  I don't think I have watched a single inauguration ever.

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 06:30:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 729
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
After the national parks service and tv cameras filming the innaguration showed that it was sparsely attended Trump today said there was 1-1.5 Million people there.

Trump's media secretary briefed the press saying that "this was the best attended inauguration period." He said this flanked by two photo pictures taken from an angle that doesn't show the full mall, while overhead photos showed how empty the space was.

Trump is lying about things that are extremely easily to verify as false. He is taking the American people for fools and I honestly can't believe anyone believes anything he says is true at this point.

It's such a petty thing, for liberals to point out in the first place and for Trump to get defensive about.

"Only" 900,000 people showed up for Trump's inauguration? So? It's more than any Republican ever, and more than anybody put Clinton and Obama. D.C. votes over 90% Democrat, as do Maryland and northern Virginia.

Let's hold the inauguration in Alabama and see what the turnout is like, you know? My guess is that Republicans would draw bigger crowds than Democrats, and it would be equally meaningless.
So you don't care that Trump and his staff blatantly lie to the media about things that are easily verifiable because liberals are petty for pointing out negative things about him? If conservatives point out negative things about him are they being petty or just reporting facts?

Fox news reported that he had a 32% approval rating before the election and he attacked the media for "rigged polls". Is it ok for Trump to lie about the validity of polls when a conservative station is the one taking them?

I understand that president from both parties have lied to the media, but Trump's lies are the most egregious and he attacks the media the hardest.

To me this is not a conservative/liberal thing but an are we ok with this level of lying and attacks on the media by our president thing.

Come on Roy, I know you don't like Trump, you don't need to make this a left vs right thing when I'm simply saying I'm concerned about aggressively Trump and his press secretary are lying on day 2 in office.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 5360
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
I say they set his pants on fire

GOCELTS

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »

Online Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 330
Trump administration starts its full day with a lie about numbers of attendees at the inauguration. It is such a blatant lie that it's not even a real press conference. No Q&A. Just a ridiculous display of either: incompetence or megalomania.

How is this Administration going to handle the inevitable bad jobs numbers that will crop up  from time to time? Worst case scenario: cut funding for BLS so that BLS can't even measure the jobs numbers, then Trump will just make it up from there. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1190
Like most people (I hope) I couldn't care less how many people attended the inauguration.  Nor do I care how many people protested across the country, or that Hillary got more votes, or that Trump handily won the electoral college.  Trump is the POTUS and his actions over the next months may have a profound impact on the day to day lives of many Americans. 

Trump will be judged more by outcomes than he will be judged by his bluster or his lies.   I think the lies are going to keep coming and frankly I think it's foolish politics for liberal-leaning Americans to get caught up in lie-identification.  Keep the focus on his policy decisions and voice policy disagreements as they arise.  If the connections are made to policy decisions and outcomes, we'll have an honest choice to make in 2 and 4 years.

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2244
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

So you don't care that Trump and his staff blatantly lie to the media about things that are easily verifiable because liberals are petty for pointing out negative things about him? If conservatives point out negative things about him are they being petty or just reporting facts?

Fox news reported that he had a 32% approval rating before the election and he attacked the media for "rigged polls". Is it ok for Trump to lie about the validity of polls when a conservative station is the one taking them?

I understand that president from both parties have lied to the media, but Trump's lies are the most egregious and he attacks the media the hardest.

To me this is not a conservative/liberal thing but an are we ok with this level of lying and attacks on the media by our president thing.

Come on Roy, I know you don't like Trump, you don't need to make this a left vs right thing when I'm simply saying I'm concerned about aggressively Trump and his press secretary are lying on day 2 in office.

There's no real estimate saying 900k, that seems to have originated from a heavy.com article  (think 2010 Buzzfeed but less competent) being spread around that says the highest prediction of attendance was 900k (EDIT: Some other sources too, important thing is they're all pre-event predictions). Actual estimates are notoriously difficult to make but are far lower. So an appeal to accuracy isn't likely to go far here.

The bigger issue is as you note, that the President's Press Secretary is blatantly lying, repeatedly (he lied about several minor details around the Mall as well) and flagrantly, and very likely at the order of the President, while simultaneously attacking the media for a more accurate characterization of an issue that's basically meaningless. And to top it off these "biggest ever" claims happened less than a minute after stating no one had any actual estimates. The refusal to take questions or even mention the ~2.5 million Americans who took to the streets today in opposition to this administration was just the icing on the cake.

This is Banana Republic 101 stuff, and over something unbelievably petty and shallow. It's not the usual fudging and framing stuff we're used to seeing from politicians, this is "Kim Jong Il hit 6 hole-in-ones today" territory. And if anyone thinks this won't be happening again with issues that actually matter they're kidding themselves.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:04:07 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 729
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

There's no real estimate saying 900k, that seems to have originated from a heavy.com article  (think 2010 Buzzfeed but less competent) being spread around that says the highest prediction of attendance was 900k. Actual estimates are notoriously difficult to make but are far lower. So an appeal to accuracy isn't likely to go far here.

The bigger issue is as you note, that the President's Press Secretary is blatantly lying, repeatedly (he lied about several minor details around the Mall as well) and flagrantly, and very likely at the order of the President, while simultaneously attacking the media for a more accurate characterization of an issue that's basically meaningless. And to top it off these "biggest ever" claims happened less than a minute after stating no one had any actual estimates. The refusal to take questions or even mention the ~2.5 million Americans who took to the streets today in opposition to this administration was just the icing on the cake.

This is Banana Republic 101 stuff, and over something unbelievably petty and shallow. It's not the usual fudging and framing stuff we're used to seeing from politicians, this is "Kim Jong Il hit 6 hole-in-ones today" territory. And if anyone thinks this won't be happening again with issues that actually matter they're kidding themselves.
I was really proud of how the media handled it. Many outlets stated that the claims of Spicer and Trump were false in the headline. CNN didn't even air the press conference until they could hear what Spicer said because they believed he was going to lie beforehand.

If the media is going to report lies as such, it makes me think that we just might be ok.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »

Online Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 330
Like most people (I hope) I couldn't care less how many people attended the inauguration.  Nor do I care how many people protested across the country, or that Hillary got more votes, or that Trump handily won the electoral college.  Trump is the POTUS and his actions over the next months may have a profound impact on the day to day lives of many Americans. 

Trump will be judged more by outcomes than he will be judged by his bluster or his lies.   I think the lies are going to keep coming and frankly I think it's foolish politics for liberal-leaning Americans to get caught up in lie-identification.  Keep the focus on his policy decisions and voice policy disagreements as they arise.  If the connections are made to policy decisions and outcomes, we'll have an honest choice to make in 2 and 4 years.

Totally agree. Crowd numbers are meaningless. Which makes it all the more troubling that the Administration would blatantly lie about this. If they're going to lie about the little stuff, what will they do with the big stuff?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1859

I'm sorry to come in late to this discussion, but are people suggesting that 900k showed up at the inauguration yesterday?  Because as DC resident, I find that beyond impossible to believe.

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: -28146
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I'm sorry to come in late to this discussion, but are people suggesting that 900k showed up at the inauguration yesterday?  Because as DC resident, I find that beyond impossible to believe.

Why?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: -28146
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I think several of you are misinterpreting Spicer.

He said this was the largest "audience" to ever witness an inauguration, in person and around the globe. In other words, the TV audience was bigger.

Is that untrue?  His US ratings were behind Obama in 2009, but were second in the last 36 years. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more global viewers who tuned in, which is what the claim is.  That's without counting internet viewers.

My guess is that Spicer's "blatant lie" was in fact true. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:41:32 PM by Roy H. »

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson

Why?

Because when 900k people descend on your city, you notice.  The Metro is packed, the streets are crowded for miles north of the mall.  It felt like there were fewer people than on a regular workday (when about 500k extra people enter DC.)

And today's march felt different.  The Metro was packed, the buses were packed, and there were people everywhere.  Parking garages at the Metro stations were completely full.  Yesterday, they weren't.  The march ended about 7 hours ago and it's still hopping way more than your average Saturday night.  They estimated the march today at 600-800k.  It was packed with people from 3rd to 14th street, which is the same area that people stand for inauguration.  I don't know if anyone has compared shots from today and yesterday, but I'll be shocked if today's looked more sparse than yesterday.

And the numbers from Metro back it up -- there were twice the number of people taking the train in the morning as did yesterday.  (470k vs. 190k).  I live right near a metro station, and there was a non-stop flow of charter buses dropping people off this morning and picking them up tonight.  There were more than usual yesterday, but I've never seen so many as today.  (They didn't allow charter buses to stop near my station in 2013 due to construction, so I can't compare to prior inaugurations.)

I'm sure there were a lot of people yesterday, definitely in the hundreds of thousands.  But if today's event was 800k, there's no way that yesterday was more than 500k. 

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2244
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LOL, from tonight's Dallas Stars game:

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1000
LOL, from tonight's Dallas Stars game:

Epic burn...lol!!!

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson
I think several of you are misinterpreting Spicer.

He said this was the largest "audience" to ever witness an inauguration, in person and around the globe. In other words, the TV audience was bigger.

Is that untrue?  His US ratings were behind Obama in 2009, but were second in the last 36 years. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more global viewers who tuned in, which is what the claim is.  That's without counting internet viewers.

My guess is that Spicer's "blatant lie" was in fact true.

The TV audience wasn't bigger in the US.  Maybe it was bigger in Russia?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/315507-trump-inaugural-ratings-are-lower-than-obamas-and-reagans?amp