Author Topic: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?  (Read 19111 times)

Re: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hope that during the Trump administration a better more unbiased news comes about.

During the Obama administration, fox news spread lies and conspiracy theories about Obama and painted the liberal media as untrustworthy. Donald Trump is now using the distrust of the liberal media to undermine the media in an effort to lie to the American people. If the people believe the media is all crooked/corrupt then there is no check against anything he said.

As a liberal, I was hoping the media would rise to the occasion and give appropriate coverage to the lies that he tells. Not printing/tweeting his statements until they were fact checked. The problem, is Trump makes so many headlines that the news industry can't focus on any one lie.

In the current age when the media feels like it has to report everything, so many falsehoods are slipping through the cracks. It should be the news media's job to find the truth and report it, not to be the first to publish an unverified report. Even if the report were true, releasing it before it was verified makes it seem fake. If it is later verified, people will still be skeptical because it was originally released as "fake news".

Politicians have been lying to their constituents and the media as long as there have been politics. The difference is today every news industry places being first over being correct and public distrust of media is at an all time high. This leaves us in the current sorry state we are in, our President can lie to people and the media with impunity because the media isn't respected anymore.

How is the media going to handle outright lies fro DJT and surrogates? Probably very poorly.

My hope is that a coalition of right and left wing media can come together to report news that both sides can believe. For when neither party believes anything from the other side, the people will never know what the truth is.

Personally I'd rather hear the media pick a talking point and hammer it home until something is done. Report on Donald's conflicts of interest and how he is going to break the emoluments clause of the constitution, not whether Trump likes to pee on girls/be peed on. Frankly I'm much more concerned with him being a president that uses the office for personal gain than whether he bangs Russian hookers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 757
Stuff like this does bother me but no one seems to give a [dang] anymore.

I'm past the point of thinking what might finally get people outrage now.  This past election cycle has pushed that envelope so far off the edge.

The media is responsible for a big part of it.......

So are a lot of ignorant people.

I ran into a family friend recently who about 8 yrs ago transitioned from being a newspaper editor into a campaign manager/PR guy for a local politician. He's a republican and I got to talking to him about how the media and election went, and when I brought up how much i hated Donald Trump's "the press is out to get me" narrative, he thought it was a pretty naive stance. He pointed out that every single politician learns to blame the press early and often in their career, and he gave up his greatest hits from when he was a young politics reporter in Virginia and Delaware, saying that politicians have been lying and blaming the press since there was press. He said the difference is that the people are believing Trump, and that's what should be concerning. I feel like I'm not relaying the story well, but it made sense to me.
I think Trump struck at the perfect time. The media was at an all-time low in terms of credibility. Rightfully or not, a huge chunk of the population felt "mainstream media" to be incredibly biased.

Trump told the media where to shove it. Now to many Trumps fans, the media has no credibility, but who can fact check the media? the medias job is more or less to fact check, but once they lose credibility it allows Trump to say basically whatever he wants because if someone calls him out on a lie no one gives a ****.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 225
The media is going to continue to call him on lies, and it's going to be a contentious relationship. Trump doesn't have restraint or a filter, which I believe should be job qualifications for the POTUS. If he is angry, you're going to know. I don't think he seems to abide by the tenets of Christianity either- forgiveness might not be a strong suit.

My only hope is that Trump and middle Earth (redland, you can find it on an electoral map) do not sink us further into this embarrassing charade of thoughtlessness.

Scientific progress is not linear. Progress in the financial markets is not linear either. Sometimes we might have to take two steps backwards in order to take 4 steps forward....

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 306
I've seen Chuck Todd take Mike Pence and others to task a few times but the best job I've seen at holding someone accountable for their lies has been Seth Meyers, when Kellyanne Conway went on Late Night recently. That's a pretty sad state of affairs for American television journalism.

I don't know why so many TV personalities have a problem with saying, "Stop right there, what you're saying is not true and here are the facts to prove it."

On the other hand, I don't know why so many people need so much of this spoon fed to them. I don't know how you fix that.

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
Journalism died in 07-08 when the MSM refused to vet Obama, 1st President in HISTORY to not be Vetted. If they had done their jobs, Obama NEVER would have been President. All we ever got from the MSM in this country was COMPLETELY BIASED puff pieces and softball questions concerning Obama. I have justifiable distrust and cynicism towards the MSM in this country. It's laughable that NOW they want to be REAL Journalists. ****,  the Double Standard on the Left is palpable.
" I'm not sure I could ever trust someone who doesn't like Reggae"  Ken Houle

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline feckless

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 73
Journalism died in 07-08 when the MSM refused to vet Obama, 1st President in HISTORY to not be Vetted. If they had done their jobs, Obama NEVER would have been President. All we ever got from the MSM in this country was COMPLETELY BIASED puff pieces and softball questions concerning Obama. I have justifiable distrust and cynicism towards the MSM in this country. It's laughable that NOW they want to be REAL Journalists. ****,  the Double Standard on the Left is palpable.

Just curious as to what this vetting would have uncovered that would have made Obama un-electable--he wasn't born in the U.S.(Trump the birther force tried that and Obama still got a second term)-- he was a muslim--??? you really believe they didn't look for dirt on a black man named Obama running for President?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 08:51:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 859
I've seen Chuck Todd take Mike Pence and others to task a few times but the best job I've seen at holding someone accountable for their lies has been Seth Meyers, when Kellyanne Conway went on Late Night recently. That's a pretty sad state of affairs for American television journalism.

I don't know why so many TV personalities have a problem with saying, "Stop right there, what you're saying is not true and here are the facts to prove it."

On the other hand, I don't know why so many people need so much of this spoon fed to them. I don't know how you fix that.

I don't watch a ton of MSNBC (or any news channel for that matter), but Chris Matthews is pretty incredible at calling people out on the carpet mid-interview. The problem for him is he is also a blow-hard who happens to lean pretty far left and that loses him quite a bit of credibility with anyone on the right. But, I have seen him do this to both Dems and Repubs and it is always interesting to see the interviewee try to wiggle their way out of their position.

Basically, I agree that I would like to see better prepared news people who have the knowledge and personality to not let people get away with saying whatever.

I've been happy to see Chuck Todd work his way up from election map guy to reputable news anchor - he deserves any promotion he gets.

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 939
I agree they lied about Obama, but MSNBC is just as bad if not worse than Fox.   They are even hiring Fox anchors like Sustern now to try to increase their ratings.

I suspect some will call Trump out but Trump given his tweeting with do the same to them if not more.   The news has not presented just the facts for years.   They have been giving talking heads a venue to lie since Crosssfire started on CNN.   Their guests can get on there and say anything without repercussion and they invite them back for more all the time because they must think this gets ratings.

Perhaps each station will hire a guest star that will grill Trump in this guest star role.   Trouble is few trust the media anymore.

They will lie back, which they are already doing.   Most all TV media is biased these days.   This includes Fox, MSNBC and CNN.   I question if we even need these biased new sources anymore with the internet I can go to any newspaper and read it in the world.    I try to read different sorts of news sources because even it is biased.

A major pollster has some stark news: “Americans’ trust and confidence in the mass media ‘to report the news fully, accurately and fairly’ has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32 percent saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year,” writes Art Swift, an analyst for the Gallup poll, which first asked the nation to weigh in on the press in 1972.
“Over the history of the entire trend, Americans’ trust and confidence hit its highest point in 1976, at 72 percent, in the wake of widely lauded examples of investigative journalism regarding Vietnam and the Watergate scandal,” Mr. Swift said.
The sentiment has fallen slowly and steadily, and has consistently been below a majority level since 2007.
“Republicans who say they have trust in the media has plummeted to 14 percent from 32% a year ago. This is easily the lowest confidence among Republicans in 20 years,” the analyst noted.
Among Democrats, the number is 51 percent, among independents, it is 30 percent.

During the Obama administration, fox news spread lies and conspiracy theories about Obama and painted the liberal media as untrustworthy. Donald Trump is now using the distrust of the liberal media to undermine the media in an effort to lie to the American people. If the people believe the media is all crooked/corrupt then there is no check against anything he said.

As a liberal, I was hoping the media would rise to the occasion and give appropriate coverage to the lies that he tells. Not printing/tweeting his statements until they were fact checked. The problem, is Trump makes so many headlines that the news industry can't focus on any one lie.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/14/gallup-poll-american-trust-in-news-media-falls-to-/

You can bet that this number is lower than that now.  Liberal Media told people that Trump could not win.  Perhaps they should interview some people outside of Manhattan when they do their polling?

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8772

Just curious as to what this vetting would have uncovered that would have made Obama un-electable--he wasn't born in the U.S.(Trump the birther force tried that and Obama still got a second term)-- he was a muslim--??? you really believe they didn't look for dirt on a black man named Obama running for President?
agreed, media and many other organizations and individuals moved heaven and earth to find reasons not to elect Obama.   vetting wasn't an issue.  if anything, he was the MOST vetted person to run for office.  Trump should have been vetted at that level.  then we probably wouldn't have him as president right now.

As for getting elected, Obama ran against Mccain.  basically it was a vision of hope and positivity in a time of dire economic issues in this country VS a guy who voted with Bush's agenda over 90% of the time.  The country was ready to move on.

getting re-elected running against Romney wasn't a given but Obama took on the worst financial mess since the great depression and was making progress. saved the auto and banking industries.  Romney was offering a return to the old ways of Bush, disavowed Obamacare which was almost identical to what he installed in Mass as governor and made his 47% comment that alienated the people he needed to swing to his side. 

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 276
It is a very dangerous dynamic that is occurring with Trump.  The cycle usually starts with Trump making some statement that is outrageous or an outright lie but that in general plays to people's fears.  Some of my favorites were the Muslims dancing in the streets after 911, all the women that claim I groped them are lying (even though I was caught on tape saying I groped women), Hilary is going to repeal the 2nd amendment, and so on.

It is surrogates that then face the press and reply by saying things like the media is so dishonest, why are you focusing on what Trump said and not his message, and then go on to explain what Trump really meant by his statement or Tweet.

My concern is less about how the media is going to handle the lies but how are other republican politicians going to handle it.  Trump is already setting that up by pitting himself against all of Washington DC.  Now not just the media is against Trump but all of Washington too.

Trump is going to continue to lie.  He is also going to go rouge more in terms of doing whatever suites DJT.  I predict in the end, republicans will hate and fear him and resist him as much as democrats.  Trump will try to play that as all these Washington power brokers trying to keep their power.

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 380
We should also take the media out of it for a moment and just acknowledge that independent of anything they do, Trump lies and lies a lot, sometimes contradicting himself multiple times in a very small period of time and denying he said something that he just said.

All politicians tell lies, but he takes it to astronomical levels.

And a warning to my conservative friends out there: you may be happy now, but it's only a matter of time before he turns on conservatives too. The man doesn't have an unselfish bone in his body and the only thing he cares for is his own self-interests. He'll throw anyone and everyone under the bus who gets in the way of those interests. Just look what he's done his entire life.

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 697
It is a very dangerous dynamic that is occurring with Trump.  The cycle usually starts with Trump making some statement that is outrageous or an outright lie but that in general plays to people's fears.  Some of my favorites were the Muslims dancing in the streets after 911, all the women that claim I groped them are lying (even though I was caught on tape saying I groped women), Hilary is going to repeal the 2nd amendment, and so on.

It is surrogates that then face the press and reply by saying things like the media is so dishonest, why are you focusing on what Trump said and not his message, and then go on to explain what Trump really meant by his statement or Tweet.

My concern is less about how the media is going to handle the lies but how are other republican politicians going to handle it.  Trump is already setting that up by pitting himself against all of Washington DC.  Now not just the media is against Trump but all of Washington too.

Trump is going to continue to lie.  He is also going to go rouge more in terms of doing whatever suites DJT. I predict in the end, republicans will hate and fear him and resist him as much as democrats.  Trump will try to play that as all these Washington power brokers trying to keep their power.

I doubt this. Mainly because I don't think Trump actually has a moral compass; he is utterly driven by self interest and ego and he is too rich to be affected by things like abortion rights, civil rights, healthcare access, etc. So I think he simply does not care one way or another, so he won't stand in the way of regression of civil liberties, suppression of voting, etc, much to republican leaders' goals.

Then, the things that Trump does care about, is basically: expanding his image and brand, which Republican leaders won't care about one way or another, and consolidating wealth further into the top 1%, which aligns perfectly with republican leaders' goals.

The only potential area of conflict I see is his major indebtedness to Russia; it is looking more and more like Russia financed significant parts of his campaign, communicated and coordinated frequently with Trump's inner circle, and that once Trump had enough bankruptcy to not be able to get US investment money, has been living off Russian investment money for quite some time, with some very shady evidence of outright money laundering. This will be a little too much for some republicans to handle, since 100% of them would have blasted a non-republican candidate for even 1/10th of what Trump did. But, I think most of Republican leadership will be happy to look the other way on this and they will all use each other to push the regressive economic agenda. Maybe a few will speak up, but I doubt any will be courageous enough to cross party lines.

It is amazing that this is the party that claims to be superior on:
- Family Values (Trump has been married how many times? How many prostitutes and affairs? How many comments about underrage girls? How many stories of him ogling underrage teens in changing rooms?)
- Tough on quid pro quo (Uuuh, Pam Bondi anyone? Just about the clearest tit for tat that has ever happened; now Woody Johnson, etc
- Pro America, Pro election integrity, Anti foreign meddling
Can just throw their support behind this guy.

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 82
How about those Celtics?

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
After the national parks service and tv cameras filming the innaguration showed that it was sparsely attended Trump today said there was 1-1.5 Million people there.

Trump's media secretary briefed the press saying that "this was the best attended inauguration period." He said this flanked by two photo pictures taken from an angle that doesn't show the full mall, while overhead photos showed how empty the space was.

Trump is lying about things that are extremely easily to verify as false. He is taking the American people for fools and I honestly can't believe anyone believes anything he says is true at this point.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27977
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
After the national parks service and tv cameras filming the innaguration showed that it was sparsely attended Trump today said there was 1-1.5 Million people there.

Trump's media secretary briefed the press saying that "this was the best attended inauguration period." He said this flanked by two photo pictures taken from an angle that doesn't show the full mall, while overhead photos showed how empty the space was.

Trump is lying about things that are extremely easily to verify as false. He is taking the American people for fools and I honestly can't believe anyone believes anything he says is true at this point.

It's such a petty thing, for liberals to point out in the first place and for Trump to get defensive about.

"Only" 900,000 people showed up for Trump's inauguration? So? It's more than any Republican ever, and more than anybody put Clinton and Obama. D.C. votes over 90% Democrat, as do Maryland and northern Virginia.

Let's hold the inauguration in Alabama and see what the turnout is like, you know? My guess is that Republicans would draw bigger crowds than Democrats, and it would be equally meaningless.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...