Author Topic: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?  (Read 16130 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2269
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Background: There has apparently been a 'oppo' file on Trump circulating around Washington for a while. Eventually CNN published a story stating that it existe, and that the President and PEOTUS had been briefed on it. Buzzfeed published a summary of the opposition research dossier (a 'find all the dirt on him you can' file) that I won't link to here. As far as I've seen, everything in the file is uncorroborated.

At Donald Trump's news conference, Sean Spicer (press secretary for DJT) took some pretty pointed shots at CNN, basically accusing them of doing the same thing Buzzfeed did. We pick up there with a conversation between Anderson Cooper and Kellyanne Conway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1X4ZCUuEFo

The article Kellyanne is referring to is this one:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

CNN does NOT link to buzzfeed in that article.

So I think Cooper did for the most part a good job here. I wish he would've had the actual facts a little more handy, but overalll, a good job.

But I think this event is a good litmus test for the country. DJT and Spicer and Conway threw CNN under the bus incorrectly. Then to use as justification for it, they brought up the election to try to move the fieldgoals away from the actual issue.

Whoever you voted for, this ticks you off, right? behaving like you're above things like facts or standards..it is truly disturbing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: How Is The Media Going To Handle Outright Lies From DJT & Surrogates?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1504
  • Pre-school artwork
Apparently Fox news is defending CNN on this.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fox-news-defends-rival-cnn-against-donald-trump-213951823.html

ďPresident-elect Trump today told CNNís Jim Acosta that his organization amounts to fake news. CNNís exclusive reporting on the Russian matter was separate and distinctly different from the document dump executed by an online news property,Ē Smith said, drawing a distinction between CNNís reporting and that of BuzzFeed News, which released the entire contents of the Russian dossier.

ďThough we at Fox News cannot confirm CNNís report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards,Ē Smith said. ďNeither they, nor any other journalists, should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.Ē

Knicks: Irving, Drummond, Marcus Morris, S. Muhammad, C. Lee, Sullinger, Hield, M. Chriss , V. Carter, T. Zeller, N. Cole, T. Prince, Livio Jean-Charles, Tyler Ulis, N. Collison

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 85
They should handle them like they did with BO and HRC, not report them. 

;)
While the early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177
Something something something economic anxiety something run the country like a business something Benghazi something Barack Hussein.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 941
  • What a Pub Should Be
Stuff like this does bother me but no one seems to give a [dang] anymore.

I'm past the point of thinking what might finally get people outrage now.  This past election cycle has pushed that envelope so far off the edge.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1068
CNN is pretty awful. From giving Donna Brazil questions for Hillary.

Editing video to sound like this woman was calling for peace in Milwaukee, when in reality she is saying bring riots to the suburbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEy5yjX4S8&t=625s

They do this all the time, it is a gross organization.

And while they may not have linked to the buzzfeed article, they are pretty much saying go look for it through Google.

CNN is fake news/ propaganda to me

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What is real news/actual journalism to you? I'm asking which outets you trust, not like, "I liked this story from this guy" but if you're writing CNN off completely, are there any news outlets you're allowing in? If so, why?

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 786

I'm past the point of thinking what might finally get people outrage now.  This past election cycle has pushed that envelope so far off the edge.

Yeah, I mean people voted for Trump not caring that he was a pretty horrible person. I don't think there is anything he could say or do that will get those people to care enough to be outraged.

The media will and should still report - it is their job - but expect the DJT commune to vehemently deny everything even if there is audio or video documentation.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Apparently Fox news is defending CNN on this.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fox-news-defends-rival-cnn-against-donald-trump-213951823.html

ďPresident-elect Trump today told CNNís Jim Acosta that his organization amounts to fake news. CNNís exclusive reporting on the Russian matter was separate and distinctly different from the document dump executed by an online news property,Ē Smith said, drawing a distinction between CNNís reporting and that of BuzzFeed News, which released the entire contents of the Russian dossier.

ďThough we at Fox News cannot confirm CNNís report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards,Ē Smith said. ďNeither they, nor any other journalists, should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.Ē

I think that's awesome.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »

Offline mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 418
The media will do what it takes to get viewers to tune in. If repeating his likes will do so, then that's what they'll do. If contradicting him gets viewers, then that's the way to go.

I know that sounds cynical, and there are certainly outlets, particularly newspapers, that don't go for the quick buck but, until I'm proven wrong, that's what I'm going with.

Mike
Advice for novice frequent flyer mileage junkies: www.frequentflyermiles101.com

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: -28090
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The Buzzfeed dossier was garbage, and in multiple places contained verifiably untrue "facts".

Despite CNN's reporting - which in one story referenced Buzzfeed and it's inaccurate dossier 15 times - other news agencies have indicated that Trump was never briefed on the matter. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-not-briefed-document-explosive-151349072.html

Fake news, built on fake news. CNN was less irresponsible than Buzzfeed, but both were irresponsible and published inaccurate "facts". I also think that CNN's pool reporter should have been tossed out of the room for interrupting at the press conference. He's not entitled to a question.

And lastly, Obama attacked Fox News as an entity many times, including blaming bars playing Fox News as one of the reasons Hillary lost. Turnabout is fair play, especially with the dubious rumor mongering.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:30:35 PM by Roy H. »

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 692
A message to my doomed colleagues in the American media

Vladimir Putinís annual news conference, Dec 23, 2016 / kremlin.ru
Congratulations, US media! Youíve just covered your first press conference of an authoritarian leader with a massive ego and a deep disdain for your trade and everything you hold dear. We in Russia have been doing it for 12 years now ó with a short hiatus when our leader wasnít technically our leader ó so quite a few things during Donald Trumpís press conference rang my bells. Not just mine, in fact ó read this excellent round-up in The Moscow Times.
Vladimir Putinís annual pressers are supposed to be the media event of the year. They are normally held in late December, around Western Christmas time (we Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas two weeks later and itís not a big deal, unlike New Yearís Eve). Which probably explains why Putinís pressers donít get much coverage outside of Russia, except in a relatively narrow niche of Russia-watchers. Putinís pressers are televised live across all Russian TV channels, attended by all kinds of media ó federal news agencies, small local publications and foreign reporters based in Moscow ó and are supposed to overshadow every other event in Russia or abroad.
These things are carefully choreographed, typically last no less than four hours, and Putin always comes off as an omniscient and benevolent leader tending to a flock of unruly but adoring children. Given that Putin is probably a role model for Trump, itís no surprise that heís apparently taking a page from Putinís playbook. I have some observations to share with my American colleagues. Youíre in this for at least another four years, and youíll be dealing with things Russian journalists have endured for almost two decades now. Iím talking about Putin here, but see if you can apply any of the below to your own leader.
Welcome to the era of bulls@@@.
Facts donít matter. You canít hurt this man with facts or reason. Heíll always outmaneuver you. Heíll always wriggle out of whatever carefully crafted verbal trap you lay for him. Whatever he says, you wonít be able to challenge him. He always comes with a bag of meaningless factoids (Putin likes to drown questions he doesnít like in dull, unverifiable stats, figures and percentages), platitudes, false moral equivalences and straight, undiluted bulls@@@. He knows itís a one-way communication, not an interview. You canít follow up on your questions or challenge him. So he can throw whatever he wants at you in response, and youíll just have to swallow it. Some journalists will try to preempt this by asking two questions at once, against the protests of their colleagues also vying for attention, but that also wonít work: heíll answer the one he thinks is easier, and ignore the other. Others will use this opportunity to go on a long, rambling statement vaguely disguised as a question, but thatís also bad tactics. Non-questions invite non-answers. Heíll mock you for your nervous stuttering and if youíre raising a serious issue, respond with a vague, non-committal statement (ďMr President, what about these horrible human rights abuses in our country?Ē ďThank you, Miss. This is indeed a very serious issue. Everybody must respect the law. And by the way, donít human rights abuses happen in other countries as well? Next question pleaseĒ).
But your colleagues are there to help you, right? After all, youíre all in this together?
Wrong.
Donít expect any camaraderie
These people are not your partners or brothers in arms. They are your rivals in a fiercely competitive, crashing market and right now the only currency in this market is whatever that man on the stage says. Whoever is lucky to ask a question and be the first to transmit the answer to the outside world wins. Donít expect any solidarity or support from them. If your question is stonewalled/mocked down/ignored, donít expect a rival publication to pick up the banner and follow up on your behalf. Itís in this manís best interests to pit you against each other, fighting over artificial scarcities like room space, mic time or, of course, his attention. Itís getting especially absurd because some ó increasingly many ó reporters will now come with large, bright placards aimed at attracting the presidentís attention to names of their regions or specific issues. This is what it looks like:

Also, some people in the room arenít really there to ask questions.
Expect a lot of sycophancy and soft balls from your ďcolleaguesĒ
A mainstay of Putinís press conferences is, of course, softball questions. Which also happen to be Putinís favorites. Mr President, is there love in your heart? Who you will be celebrating New Yearís Eve with? Whatís your favorite food? ďQuestionsĒ of this sort, sure to melt Putinís heart, typically come from women working for small regional publications. A subtype of this is also statements-as-questions, but from people who really love the man on the stage and will bob their head and look at the stage adoringly and say something to the tune of ďMr President, do you agree that a lot of media are treating you unfairly?Ē
Another type of softball questions is hyperlocal issues that a president isnít even supposed to be dealing with. Mr President, our road is full of potholes and local authorities arenít doing anything about it. Mr President, our tap is leaking. Mr President, how about a chess club in our village. This is a real opportunity for him to shine. He will scold the local authorities and order to have a new road built. All of this, of course, has been choreographed well in advance.
Also, some of these people really love him and will meet his every answer with enthusiastic applause. There will be people from publications that exist for no other reason than heaping fawning praise on him and attacking his enemies. But there will also be one token critic who will be allowed to ask a ďsharpĒ question, only to be drowned in a copious amount of bull****, and the man on the stage will always be the winner (ďSee? I respect the media and free speechĒ).
Youíre always losing
This man owns you. He understands perfectly well that he is the news. You canít ignore him. Youíre always playing by his rules ó which he can change at any time without any notice. You canít ó in Putinís case ó campaign to vote him out of office. Your readership is dwindling because ad budgets are shrinking ó while his ratings are soaring, and if you want to keep your publication afloat, youíll have to report on everything that man says as soon as he says it, without any analysis or fact-checking, because 1) his fans will not care if he lies to their faces; 2) while youíre busy picking his lies apart, heíll spit out another mountain of bull**** and youíll be buried under it.
I could go on and on, but I think at this point you see where this is heading. See if any of this rings any bells if you covered Trumpís presser or watched it online.
P.S. Youíre welcome to repost/reblog/republish this if you like.
My name is Alexey Kovalev, Iím a Russian journalist and Iím writing about propaganda, fake news and Russian state media on noodleremover.news. Itís all in Russian, but hereís an example of what Iím doing in English. You can contact me at kovalever@gmail.com. I tweet as @Alexey__Kovalev.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 776

What is real news/actual journalism to you? I'm asking which outets you trust, not like, "I liked this story from this guy" but if you're writing CNN off completely, are there any news outlets you're allowing in? If so, why?
Ones that say things he likes, obviously. News is not supposed to report events. News is supposed to confirm my beliefs!

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 776

We really are in an absurd place.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2283
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I care a hell of a lot more about whether the allegations in that dossier, and the many others regarding Trump and Russia, including from other credible intelligence sources, are accurate than whether it's appropriate for CNN to tell the American people it exists. It's insane that the media is the lead angle of this story.

Congress needs to appoint an independent commission to get to the bottom of this immediately. There's far too much smoke here to be ignored. Not to play this-party that-party but we've had a lot of investigations based on far less than what's being alleged here. We deserve real, definitive answers from as non-partisan and well-equipped a source as we can get.