Author Topic: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)  (Read 18831 times)

Re: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Obviously it needs to keep being said because you guys won't quit with the Melo ideas, but he's old, washed up, and has always been an inefficient volume scorer who doesn't defend.  Crowder right now is better, and is on an incredible value of a contract.  In two years Crowder will still be good, and Melo will be a version of Paul Pierce this year. (Sorry Paul, but you should have retired.)

Melo is 32, Pierce is 39. At 34 (08/09), Pierce averaged 20.5pts/5.6rbs/3.5asts. He went on to play 4 more years at a pretty similar clip (including a Finals berth and an ECF series against Miami). I actually think those two athletes are a good comparison - they're a similar size and have a similar game. Melo is actually, probably, a slightly better offensive player and rebounder. When unmotivated, both can be selfish, lazy and bad defenders.

Melo's contract ends in, what, 2 years after this season, so he'd be about 35 by then. At which point we could let him go and expect his productivity to be in decline anyway.

And come on - Jae Crowder is not a better player than Carmelo. Better defender, sure, but let's stop acting like Jae is anything close to Tony Allen or Kawhi defensively.

EDIT: Gonna leave this here for further reference on the Pierce / Melo comparison. Basic stats, but still:

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/carmelo_anthony_vs_paul_pierce.htm

PP was 31 in 08/09 - not 34. That kind of busts your entire analysis above.

Let us look at PP at 32.

In 09/10, when PP was 32 and playing with two other HOFers, he was effective but no longer really a #1 option. 2010 was his last All-Star game. His last All-League was 08/09. He was 09/10 and 10/11 were truly his last two good seasons and those still weren't as good s the prime of his career. After that pretty much everything was in decline and his TS% kind of falls off a cliff. He was okay until 35 but at that point he's getting to be a 3rd option in the offense. And most of that was with Rajon Rondo feeding him the ball - a guy who would pass up a layup to get someone else an assist (he averaged over 11 assists in 3 of 4 of those years and led the league twice). That's pretty much the best case scenario for an aging PP and he still wasn't as effective. 

So this myth of playing "4 more years at a similar clip" isn't true at all. He was already playing at a diminished capacity and continued to decline. Now, let's move to Anthony. He's 32 now. His stats have taken a similar dive already. His contract has two more years to run after this year at $53m. Are you prepared to pay $27m for a #3 option in 2018/19 and knowing you lost a valuable draft pick/players (remember Crowder's OUTSTANDING contract) to do so?

Yeah, that dude made mistakes. Still not the point.

Point being, none of Pierce/KG/Ray were in their glimmering mid-or-even-late 20's when we WON. That's what it's about, winning. Pierce was 31 just a year earlier from whence you just dogged him and we won the Championship that year my man. So even though these guys were in their 30s, and their production was down across the board for all of them, they won. Melo's production of course is down. He's not at the top of his prime, but he still averages 20+, he's still an All Star. He can rebound, block shots, hit the three, make free throws AND get to the line often, he's got mad experience and poise, and he should be more motivated than he's ever been in his life if this actually happens. Sounds a lot like where KG was at in '07 to me. Ask yourself, would the rest of the league, the LeBrons and Durants and Hardens and Leonards, be happy if Carmelo went to the Celtics?? Hell no! And in today's NBA if anyone is worried about 2 years and $50 million for a 20-6-3 guy you're not paying attention. At all. If we add him and don't lose any non-Amir starters we can beat anyone. Our hat will be in the ring. That's what sports is all about no?

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is a no-brainer. I'm really getting amped on this and I hope Melo would accept a trade to Boston and that the situation in NY is bad enough that Phil would trade him. People love to talk smack but he's one of the most talented scorers of the last 10 years and is still getting it done at a high level, though he's no spring chicken - but not old, or done. He seems like an honest, mature-if outspoken, hard-working player to me and I think he would fit in well and the city and Celtics fans would embrace him.

Every team that has got him in the NBA has thought this would be the case.   All of them have been left holding the pieces and wondering why it did not work for them.  How is NYC doing after the Melo Era?   How about Denver?   Both not good!

This blog is full of magical thinking in regards to think a guy will come here and suddenly blossom into a different player.    It does not happen, he is a diva.

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
This is a no-brainer. I'm really getting amped on this and I hope Melo would accept a trade to Boston and that the situation in NY is bad enough that Phil would trade him. People love to talk smack but he's one of the most talented scorers of the last 10 years and is still getting it done at a high level, though he's no spring chicken - but not old, or done. He seems like an honest, mature-if outspoken, hard-working player to me and I think he would fit in well and the city and Celtics fans would embrace him.

Every team that has got him in the NBA has thought this would be the case.   All of them have been left holding the pieces and wondering why it did not work for them.  How is NYC doing after the Melo Era?   How about Denver?   Both not good!

This blog is full of magical thinking in regards to think a guy will come here and suddenly blossom into a different player.    It does not happen, he is a diva.

It's a no-brainer if you've got no brain.  Otherwise it's a bad idea.

I think Melo is a stand up guy and I respect him as a person, but I think he's on the decline and a poor fit for this team.

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Listening to Mike Gorman on the radio this AM on Celtics @7 on 98.5. Says there is a prevalent thought in C's basketball operations that Carmelo would be a fantastic fit in the C's system.

Not exactly how I wanted to start my Saturday.

Mike Gorman is not a guy that says stuff just to get attention so I suspect there is truth to this.  I think Carmelo would make us better but I fear he is not as durable as Pierce was late in his career so I am not sure how much he has left.  Bottom line for me is that I would trade for Carmelo but I would not include a BKN pick and without one, I am not sure NYK do it.

Matching salaries is not so easy either.  I guess Amir ($12M) would have to be in.  Crowder would make sense ($6M) but that is only $18M and Carmelo is $24.5M.  Would we have to inlcude Zeller too?  Then add a bunch of picks or rights holds (such as Yabusele).  I don't know, tough deal to pull off.

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/8-possible-trade-scenarios-for-carmelo-anthony-honey-were-moving-to-memphis/

Boston is included as one of the teams... but this trade idea is HORRIBLE.

Zeller, Johnson, Crowder, Smart, 2018 Nets Pick for Carmelo Anthony and Courtney Lee. (LOL)

Look, I would be okay giving up the 2018 Nets Pick for Melo in a deal, okay. But Crowder + Smart as well? No thanks. Ainge should just block their number at that point.

Even the writer acknowledges it wouldn't be a great thing for Boston but if the price does fall a bit, they should still target him to be Boston's #2 crunch time scorer alongside IT. Plus a "mentor" to Jaylen Brown.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/8-possible-trade-scenarios-for-carmelo-anthony-honey-were-moving-to-memphis/

Zeller, Johnson, Crowder, Smart, 2018 Nets Pick for Carmelo Anthony and Courtney Lee. (LOL)

Look, I would be okay giving up the 2018 Nets Pick for Melo in a deal, okay. But Crowder + Smart as well? No thanks. Ainge should just block their number at that point.

Even the writer acknowledges it wouldn't be a great thing for Boston but if the price does fall a bit, they should still target him to be Boston's #2 crunch time scorer alongside IT. Plus a "mentor" to Jaylen Brown.

danny is no dummy

Crowder , Rozier and a future celtics 1st is all Knicks would get

Phil said he regrets not grabbing Crowder when he had the chance...so Celtics could be in play for Melo...just won't give up that much for him

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Melo is gone, Knicks will clean house....trade Rose, Noah, Lee

likely can get back an ok return for Rose and Lee...  nothing for Noah and his ugly salary

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk

Hey bud, I respect your views and I love the chatter. I just think it's not accurate or overly wise to transpose arguments like that. Every situation is different, every team is different, and every day presents fresh opportunities. Melo would be a clear second option on the C's, something he's only experienced on the Olympic team where the evidence is promising.

He'd have to find his way in Brad Stevens system like everyone else and he has an enormous toolset to find ways to do so. I'm not gonna postulate that you don't watch a lot of basketball but I'm confused why you think you'd need or want a "different player". Dude can drop 30 on anyone. But a couple of handful of guys on the planet who can do it and you don't want one of them on your team because you think he's a "diva". You'd rather have the roll of the dice on an 18 year old prospect. Haha. And my thinking is "magical". ****.

You don't give enough credit to IT,, Bradley, Crowder, Ainge, Stevens and the banners. Melo would come in humble and hungry.

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Yeah he will fit well in Boston just keep him far away from the Celtics.

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Listening to Mike Gorman on the radio this AM on Celtics @7 on 98.5. Says there is a prevalent thought in C's basketball operations that Carmelo would be a fantastic fit in the C's system.

Not exactly how I wanted to start my Saturday.

Mike Gorman is not a guy that says stuff just to get attention so I suspect there is truth to this.  I think Carmelo would make us better but I fear he is not as durable as Pierce was late in his career so I am not sure how much he has left.  Bottom line for me is that I would trade for Carmelo but I would not include a BKN pick and without one, I am not sure NYK do it.

Matching salaries is not so easy either.  I guess Amir ($12M) would have to be in.  Crowder would make sense ($6M) but that is only $18M and Carmelo is $24.5M.  Would we have to inlcude Zeller too?  Then add a bunch of picks or rights holds (such as Yabusele).  I don't know, tough deal to pull off.

Not that complicated.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hpjpmqh

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Those trades are crazy.  One was Zack Randolph and Vince Carter for Carmelo.  If something like that would get it done, why would we need to give more than Crowder, Zeller, and Johnson plus non-BKN picks

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk

danny is no dummy

Crowder , Rozier and a future celtics 1st is all Knicks would get

Phil said he regrets not grabbing Crowder when he had the chance...so Celtics could be in play for Melo...just won't give up that much for him

In the end Danny holds all the leverage. No team will offer a more tempting asset than our brooklyn pick and the situation in NY will only grow more toxic. They're not going to start winning at a good enouh clip to quiet the noise. Porzingas is banged up and they could tank and end up with a lottery pick of their own, potentially the no.1 from Brooklyn via us, and marcus smart. That's a nice haul and great bait.

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Are you seriously suggesting Brooklyn pick for Melo?

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Somehow Knick fans think Melo worth Brooklyn pick. Wishful thinking.