Author Topic: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)  (Read 18813 times)

Re: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2017, 01:36:39 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Same old Knicks, always trying ( and failing) for the quick rebuild.... Signing over the hill or injured players. They sign everyone 2-3 years too late. Porzingis is the keeper and if you can sell off another players for fifty cents on the dollar to another team that's also into signing players way too late.

Re: Carmelo to Boston
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2017, 01:57:23 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Melo to Boston doesn't make much sense to me, but what about Dallas? No state tax means Melo's dollars go further? Winning coach and owner.

Something like:

Matthews, Powell, Williams, Curry, 2017 1st, and 2019 1st

for

Melo and Rose

Cuban might be willing to pay the keep Rose, and under Carlisle's coaching, Rose might become relevant again. The Melo-Barnes-Dirk trio would be tough to guard. Not a championship team, but way more competitive.

The Knicks get a good look at Powell, who could be an interesting high skill dirty work player next to Zinger. Matthews can be a steady contributer and floor stretcher from the wing. Williams can fill in at point guard until they draft one or sign for one. Obviously, the Mavs picks could be really good too. Obviously they clean up their roster and move in a new direction with Zinger, while staying competitive and getting draft assets.

Mavs has stated  that they have no intention of trading their 2017 first but if the Mavs think they'll have a strong second half and that pick drops to something like 7-9 who knows? I really like the fit for Melo there, especially since he hates D'Antoni which could help revive the Houston Rivalry.

Melo would be a near seamless natural successor to Dirk. It'd be nice for Dwight Powell to get a featured role on a talent starved team like the Knicks. Wes Mathews gives the Knicks reliable production.

Dig the deal and hadn't even considered it, TP Defense.

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Carmelo for Avery Bradley Jerebko Johnson & BOS/MEM 1st

2012-2013 Carmelo led the league in scoring (29ppg 7rpg), led the knicks to the 2nd seed in the east (with noone around him), and was 3rd in MVP voting as the starting PF.  Carmelo is 6-8 240lb's so hes a small ball PF whose not small.  Playing the PF IMO would also infinitely better suit him defensively. 

Lineup:
Isaiah
Smart
Crowder
Anthony
Horford

Anthony was the best player every time he played for team USA.  I understand the skepticism on defense but IMO the "ball stopper" "iso" tags are a function of the team he plays for.  I think hes more than capable of fitting into a team system.

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Carmelo for Avery Bradley Jerebko Johnson & BOS/MEM 1st

2012-2013 Carmelo led the league in scoring (29ppg 7rpg), led the knicks to the 2nd seed in the east (with noone around him), and was 3rd in MVP voting as the starting PF.  Carmelo is 6-8 240lb's so hes a small ball PF whose not small.  Playing the PF IMO would also infinitely better suit him defensively. 

Lineup:
Isaiah
Smart
Crowder
Anthony
Horford

Anthony was the best player every time he played for team USA.  I understand the skepticism on defense but IMO the "ball stopper" "iso" tags are a function of the team he plays for.  I think hes more than capable of fitting into a team system.
I just don't give up Bradley for Melo without getting a SG in return.  Leaves the backcourt way too thin. 

So I might alter your trade to be

Anthony, Lee, Plumlee

for

Bradley, Johnson, Young, Zeller, BOS 2018 1st

I'd throw in Boston's 2019 1st or the Memphis 1st if we could get O'Quinn (which means Jerekbo is added and Young stays in Boston or they can have him if they want him).  If need be for either trade I'd probably add in an extra 1st if that was the deal breaker.

So post-trade (without O'Quinn and 1 open roster spot)
PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Smart, Lee, Green
SF - Crowder, Brown
PF - Anthony, Olynyk, Jerekbo, Mickey
C - Horford, Plumlee

That team is the clear #2 team in the East and would pose a lot more problems for the Cavs then the current team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
NnnnnnnnnooooooooooooOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We need two of their  crop of 7 ft euro no names , NOt old over paid worn out Melo ....smh

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
NnnnnnnnnooooooooooooOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We need two of their  crop of 7 ft euro no names , NOt old over paid worn out Melo ....smh

You may not be melo's number one fan but for the price we're talking about that's an absolute steal.  Imo that's the fact of the matter, the trade itself is a good trade.

It also allows Marcus to step into a much larger role, a role that Isaiah clearly benefits from.  Tbh I think even with AB on the team that MS should be starting.  I've seen a bunch of people talking about money, which to overpay him for the next two seasons wouldn't be an issue because none of IT JC MS contracts are expiring this season & we would still have nearly the same cap space after the trade.  Offensively MS and IT would both benefit from playing with Melo and defensively he won't be a liability at the PF position (maybe a liability against an Anthony Davis, Blake griffin type).

Even if its just a two year experiment it would put BOS in a better light amongst NBA free agents & in all honesty I dont see a realistic PF on the free agent market this upcoming offseason thats a better fit with this team.  Melo would be a great mentor to Jaylen Brown.  When we played GSW & CLE this season BOS's issue was scoring.  Blake maybe but hes injury prone and I see him going to OKC or staying in LAC as far more realistic.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:06:32 AM by bmac934 »

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Could be its own thread, but why start another Melo to Boston thread?

It's not a rumor or even speculation, but in Chris Broussard's list of trades he'd love to see, his first is Melo to BOS for Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson and BOS 2018 first-rounder (not the BKN pick).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQO-szEGIto

Interesting to see a national guy without a Boston bias (like the one we all have) suggest that package.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Obviously it needs to keep being said because you guys won't quit with the Melo ideas, but he's old, washed up, and has always been an inefficient volume scorer who doesn't defend.  Crowder right now is better, and is on an incredible value of a contract.  In two years Crowder will still be good, and Melo will be a version of Paul Pierce this year. (Sorry Paul, but you should have retired.)

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
The more I think about it the more I want Melo here.

I think a lot of the issues hes had have been his own fault, but he hasnt had the best hand. He was pretty successful in Denver with George Karl, JR Smith and a post-prime Allen Iverson.

Since coming to New York hes had Stoudemire and Chandler and with that team he had some success.

I think he can be a leader and a team player on a competitive team.

Cost is obviously important, but if you can get him for cheapish I say pull the trigger.

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Without question, the worst idea since drafting Bender.

Melo is a ball-stopping Rondo with a shot. He has no use whatsoever on this basketball team.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Could be its own thread, but why start another Melo to Boston thread?

It's not a rumor or even speculation, but in Chris Broussard's list of trades he'd love to see, his first is Melo to BOS for Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, Amir Johnson and BOS 2018 first-rounder (not the BKN pick).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQO-szEGIto

Interesting to see a national guy without a Boston bias (like the one we all have) suggest that package.

Wow that seems like a terrible haul for Melo. They should be looking for multiple picks, including 2nd rounders.  They have a whole cupboard to restock. Veteran role players like Amir and Jerebko are aces to have around rookie contract guys,  but I also see them holding out for one young potential star or at least a rotation player with upside. Assuming Brown is not on the table, they ask for Rozier, Olynyk or Smart, plus 2 1sts, 1-2 seconds, and veterans.

That's the deal I probably take.

I keep AB and suddenly Crowder is the 5th option he should be. Hopefully they take Rozier, and we have a nice top-8/9 with Smart, Brown, and KO off the bench. Win while those three grow into their primes.

I'm no fan of Melo, but we need to get better, and I think he puts us in the ECF against Cle, and I like our chances best this way, without giving up too much to get here.

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Obviously it needs to keep being said because you guys won't quit with the Melo ideas, but he's old, washed up, and has always been an inefficient volume scorer who doesn't defend.  Crowder right now is better, and is on an incredible value of a contract.  In two years Crowder will still be good, and Melo will be a version of Paul Pierce this year. (Sorry Paul, but you should have retired.)

Melo is 32, Pierce is 39. At 34 (08/09), Pierce averaged 20.5pts/5.6rbs/3.5asts. He went on to play 4 more years at a pretty similar clip (including a Finals berth and an ECF series against Miami). I actually think those two athletes are a good comparison - they're a similar size and have a similar game. Melo is actually, probably, a slightly better offensive player and rebounder. When unmotivated, both can be selfish, lazy and bad defenders.

Melo's contract ends in, what, 2 years after this season, so he'd be about 35 by then. At which point we could let him go and expect his productivity to be in decline anyway.

And come on - Jae Crowder is not a better player than Carmelo. Better defender, sure, but let's stop acting like Jae is anything close to Tony Allen or Kawhi defensively.

EDIT: Gonna leave this here for further reference on the Pierce / Melo comparison. Basic stats, but still:

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/carmelo_anthony_vs_paul_pierce.htm
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Same old Knicks, always trying ( and failing) for the quick rebuild.... Signing over the hill or injured players. They sign everyone 2-3 years too late. Porzingis is the keeper and if you can sell off another players for fifty cents on the dollar to another team that's also into signing players way too late.

You ve watched a lot of years.....nailed them! TP

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I mean i'd take him at the cost of Jae Amir JJ and a couple non Nets picks i am ok with it. We would need to flip another young guy to get a banger similar to Amir. A lineup of IT/AB/Melo/Horford/?
is very potent. A bench of Smart,Brown, and Kelly is also a nice luxury.

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I mean i'd take him at the cost of Jae Amir JJ and a couple non Nets picks i am ok with it. We would need to flip another young guy to get a banger similar to Amir. A lineup of IT/AB/Melo/Horford/?
is very potent. A bench of Smart,Brown, and Kelly is also a nice luxury.
If we are giving them Jae and picks they need to throw in Kyle O'Quinn.