Author Topic: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)  (Read 18844 times)

Re: Carmelo to Boston
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/report-carmelo-anthony-unwilling-to-waive-no-trade-clause/

Does Carmelo Anthony – who holds a no-trade clause – want to stick around?

Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders:

A source close to Anthony says he’s unwilling to green-light a trade out of New York, even with how bad it’s turned.

This was before the Knicks lost to the 76ers and before Anthony got booed by New York fans, but I doubt a single game or single fan reaction will swing him. This is a big-picture decision.

Facts don't matter on this thread...

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/report-carmelo-anthony-unwilling-to-waive-no-trade-clause/

A source close to Anthony says he’s unwilling to green-light a trade out of New York, even with how bad it’s turned.

This was before the Knicks lost to the 76ers and before Anthony got booed by New York fans, but I doubt a single game or single fan reaction will swing him. This is a big-picture decision.
More recent rumblings are Anthony is starting to sour more and the Philly loss was a big set back.  Nothing concrete, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was open to a trade this summer if the Knicks seasons continues to fall apart.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Melo to Boston doesn't make much sense to me, but what about Dallas? No state tax means Melo's dollars go further? Winning coach and owner.

Something like:

Matthews, Powell, Williams, Curry, 2017 1st, and 2019 1st

for

Melo and Rose

Cuban might be willing to pay the keep Rose, and under Carlisle's coaching, Rose might become relevant again. The Melo-Barnes-Dirk trio would be tough to guard. Not a championship team, but way more competitive.

The Knicks get a good look at Powell, who could be an interesting high skill dirty work player next to Zinger. Matthews can be a steady contributer and floor stretcher from the wing. Williams can fill in at point guard until they draft one or sign for one. Obviously, the Mavs picks could be really good too. Obviously they clean up their roster and move in a new direction with Zinger, while staying competitive and getting draft assets.

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I can only reply this about melo to boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

TP.

Pretty much my reaction.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The other option that's crazy is the Clippers.

It's unlikely that they can pull it off because the Clippers don't have draft picks or young prospects, but the base trade would be something like

Crawford, W. Johnson, and B. Johnson
for
Melo

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Facts don't matter on this thread...

We're in a post-fact America. Besides that linked story is almost 7 hours old.

Can't imagine his wife wants to leave NYC for BOS based on what I've heard in the past. LA maybe and perhaps MIA would suit her, but that's about it.

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'd rather see us cash in more chips and trade for Porzingas.
He's their future.  All the other parts will go before he goes.

They won't get enough from the other parts to make it worthwhile. They can get more value from getting rid of Porzingas and beginning their full rebuild.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Eh. It's not terrible. But not worth the 2017 pick.

Probably more like Crowder or Bradley, 2018 Nets Pick, rights to Yabusele, filler.

Or

IT4 for Melo and Hernangomez.

The trade really centers around incentives for Boston to take the melo contract.

You want to trade Isaiah Thomas, a 27 year old all-star in his prime for an over the hill 32 year old Carmelo Anthony who costs 4x the salary and plays even worse defense for his position?  R-r-r-eally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MPoqqzwdY

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Maybe not to Boston, but sounds like Melo may not be long for Gotham.

Carmelo Anthony revealed on Sunday that if Phil Jackson doesn’t want him in New York “that’s a conversation we should have.”

The stunning comment marks the first time Anthony has ever hinted that he may not finish his career with the Knicks. However, Anthony also reiterated that he hasn’t considered waiving his no-trade clause, thus possibly setting the stage for a classic power struggle between All Star player and Hall of Fame coach turned failing executive.

Following Sunday's embarrassing no-show 116-101 loss to the Raptors, a frustrated Anthony reacted angrily to a story written by a Jackson confidante that suggested that his time with the Knicks should be over.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/carmelo-anthony-knicks-don-time-talk-article-1.2947126

The Fanrag article that set Melo off suggests the Clips or the Cavs as potential landing spots.

I am having a hard time seeing that weird Zen master of a GM that the Knicks have who hates our Cs trading Melo to an in-division rival for anything but a huge overpay, especially if it's us.

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Maybe not to Boston, but sounds like Melo may not be long for Gotham.

Carmelo Anthony revealed on Sunday that if Phil Jackson doesn’t want him in New York “that’s a conversation we should have.”

The stunning comment marks the first time Anthony has ever hinted that he may not finish his career with the Knicks. However, Anthony also reiterated that he hasn’t considered waiving his no-trade clause, thus possibly setting the stage for a classic power struggle between All Star player and Hall of Fame coach turned failing executive.

Following Sunday's embarrassing no-show 116-101 loss to the Raptors, a frustrated Anthony reacted angrily to a story written by a Jackson confidante that suggested that his time with the Knicks should be over.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/carmelo-anthony-knicks-don-time-talk-article-1.2947126

The Fanrag article that set Melo off suggests the Clips or the Cavs as potential landing spots.

I am having a hard time seeing that weird Zen master of a GM that the Knicks have who hates our Cs trading Melo to an in-division rival for anything but a huge overpay, especially if it's us.

He's not going to the Cavs. They're not screwing up the chemistry they have. I could see a potential Clips trade going down, and I could see the Celtics as the third team to acquire Blake. Phil may hate the Celtics, but he'd love some of the assets Danny has at his disposal

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

They won't get enough from the other parts to make it worthwhile. They can get more value from getting rid of Porzingas and beginning their full rebuild.

This is so far from reality it deserves to be categorized as science fiction.  The Knicks could get nothing for everyone save for The Zinger and be in a better place than trading him.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:49:34 PM by fantankerous »

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41:38 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

This is so far from reality it deserves to be categorized as science fiction.  The Knicks could get nothing for everyone but The Zinger and be in a better place than trading him.   

Yea, Porzingis is going nowhere. "I drafted Kristaps" is the best thing that Phil Jackson has going for him in a fairly rocky season and their fan base would riot if they traded him for picks. He's the first piece in their rebuild, it's getting some other young guys to put around him that's the issue.

Re: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
just saw the Knicks-Raptors game, you can just tell, Melo is done with the Knicks, he is gone.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 12:18:47 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Im more curious about who will try to take Noah's albatross contract.

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 01:26:44 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Im more curious about who will try to take Noah's albatross contract.

Nobody