Author Topic: Carmelo to Boston (a good fit?)  (Read 18846 times)

Re: Carmelo to Boston
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's been written numerous times Carmelo doesn't want to be traded ANYWHERE!  He wants to stay a Knick and since he has a no trade clause it's not happening. 

Exactly!

TP

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It's been written numerous times Carmelo doesn't want to be traded ANYWHERE!  He wants to stay a Knick and since he has a no trade clause it's not happening.
It has also been written that he wants to play with his friends and wants to win. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I like the idea of Carmello to Boston.  Who says no?
Scalabrine and two 3rd round choices!!

No way I'm giving up Scal. Love that guy.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
It has also been written that he wants to play with his friends and wants to win.

Only in New York.  There was a report/rumor that there was a potential 3 way trade bringing him to the Cavs last year and he said NO.  Show me any article that says he would accept a trade.  Everyone from Woj, Kyler, Stein, Mannix etc say the same thing.  He won't leave NY. 

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
His family loves NY city as much as CP3 family loves CA and LA.

They will never leave.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'd trade for Carmelo if the package was:

Johnson/Zeller/Jerebko/Celtics 2018 1st

Losing anything of significant value in the form of picks or players is not worth it. If NY is done trying with him an wants to get rid of him as a max salary guy, this is a trade that would help them clear their books. They get rid of Carmelo and Rose after this year and would have room to rebuild with 2 max contract players (and potentially a 3rd with cap management).

They can't expect to get much more than the above at this stage in his career and given his reputation as an iso-heavy player who plays horrible defense and is selfish.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd trade for Carmelo if the package was:

Johnson/Zeller/Jerebko/Celtics 2018 1st

Losing anything of significant value in the form of picks or players is not worth it. If NY is done trying with him an wants to get rid of him as a max salary guy, this is a trade that would help them clear their books. They get rid of Carmelo and Rose after this year and would have room to rebuild with 2 max contract players (and potentially a 3rd with cap management).

They can't expect to get much more than the above at this stage in his career and given his reputation as an iso-heavy player who plays horrible defense and is selfish.

Jackson would not do that deal. The NY Press would run him out of town.  Even though I don't think he is likely to do much better.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
A week or two ago I would have said no way Melo waives his clause. But the Knicks look to be imploding. When they miss the playoffs I could see him waiving it.

Knicks will want young players to pair with Porzingis. I would think it would take Smart and a nets pick, possibly Jalen? I don't think I would do it for a short window of contention dependent upon Melo staying healthy/buying in.

What other good packages are they realistically getting? Very few teams check the required boxes: Good enough that Melo thinks he can win a chip there WHILE giving up decent young pieces.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be interested in adding Melo to this team; I don't think he'd make them a contender at this point, but they'd have a much better shot against Toronto.

Problem is, the Knicks would expect Crowder plus Brown or a BRK as a starting point, and I would not give up a BRK pick to get Melo.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Hypothetical trade:

Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller, Terry Rozier, Jordan Mickey, 2018 BOS 1st, 2019 MEM 1st

for

Carmelo Anthony, filler

(a) Do you say yes to this trade if you're Boston?  Do you say yes if you're New York?

(b) Does this trade actually make Boston significantly better?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Hypothetical trade:

Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller, Terry Rozier, Jordan Mickey, 2018 BOS 1st, 2019 MEM 1st

for

(a) Do you say yes to this trade if you're Boston?  Do you say yes if you're New York?
Carmelo Anthony, filler

I guess we add a shot creator, but Melo plays the game like it's the mid-2000s. The ball sticks and it won't always be a pretty possession. Also our defense in the starting lineup takes a hit because Melo defends when he feels like it... he just got a game winner popped in his mouth like last night.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I should point out, for all the flack Melo gets for his reputation as a ball-stopper, the Knicks are in the top 10 in team passes per game, so it's not like Melo is truly gumming up the works there.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Hypothetical trade:

for

Carmelo Anthony, filler

Im not too interested in Melo due to his age, style of play, contract, and the fact that he is no longer a superstar.

however, for this price i think you have to do it.

I think New York (and probably Melo) say no.

Its hard to tell how much hed help because a lot would depend on how bought in and engaged he is. Youd also have to bring in another big man somehow.

He probably becomes your best rebounder and becomes the 2nd guy on the team who can create his own shot. Going some ways to address the two biggest needs on this team.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'd rather see us cash in more chips and trade for Porzingas.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd rather see us cash in more chips and trade for Porzingas.
He's their future.  All the other parts will go before he goes.