Author Topic: Bleacher Reports predicts Celtics to stand pat in trade market  (Read 7858 times)

Re: Bleacher Reports predicts Celtics to stand pat in trade market
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Yesterday Bleacher Report also ranked Isaiah Thomas the 11th best PG in the league.  ::)
I saw that list.  They had Conley ahead of him which I didn't really agree with.  But did any of the other guys selected ahead of him offend you?

I only saw that post on instagram and didnīt even bother to check the list out, did they have a point?

Yeah,  IT's defense played a decent role in knocking him down in the rankings.

They had it as:

#1 - Westbrook
#2 - Harden
#3 - CP3
#4 - Curry
#5 - Lowry
#6 - Wall
#7 - Kemba
#8 - Kyrie
#9 - Lillard
#10 - Conley
#11 - Thomas

I can see the logic in most of those. 

I was ready to get mad about Kemba walker, but I see he's shooting 47%/42%/83% after shooting pretty weak percentages his first 4 seasons.  Gives me hope for Smart.

Here are the PER's of the PG listed ABOVE IT:

Conley;  22.10
Lillard:  23.80
Kyrie:  22.60
Kemba:  23.00
Wall:  23.70
Lowry:  23.90
Curry:  23.60

And IT has a 26.80 and is #2 in 4th quarter scoring.

Wow, I really am sick and tired of the utter disrespect given to IT on this board!!  This should be the LAST place that he gets short-changed IMHO!!!!

Smitty77

He's also ranked dead last in the entire league in several advanced defensive statistics that agree with the eye test, and basketball is a two-way sport, so....

I'd definitely take all those guys over IT, too (maybe Kemba is questionable). Some are pretty bad defensively, too, but they at least have the size to make it a little more difficult for guys to shoot over them.

I know he's dead last in DRPM, which is one of the worst advanced stats out there. Like literally I would wipe my behind with it if I could it's so worthless. Actually no, I don't want something so worthless touching me.

What other defensive metrics is he ranked low in? Overall opponents shoot 1.3% better than their average against him, 6.1% worse from behind the 3 point line. For reference Mike Conley allows opponents to shoot 1.7% better, Kyle Lowry 2.1% better, Kyrie Irving 5.1% better. On the other end of the scale, Kemba Walker makes opponents shoot 4.5% worse, Smart 3.1% worse and John Wall 0.8% worse.

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
You gotta love reports like this, because they only help to drive up our leverage in negotiations.

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd be surprised if Danny did nothing.   I don't think he'll make a big move but I think a small move that moves are flotsam and a late first for a solid vet big man is likeliest move.  would be the type of move that the vet is either on a cheap deal for another year or is expiring but gives the C's the edge in resigning the player if he meshes well with the team.

hopefully he's not waiting for the waiver wire to start hopping in the hopes of picking a big man off someone else's scrapheap.

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So let's just sit around and wait for the Cavs and Warriors to go away?.... We'll have to wait years for them to drop off.

Danny signed a 30 year old Horford to a max deal. He ain't getting any younger, and neither is Thomas. We may as well push to see what we can get now and compete. We are not that far away...Giving in seems silly to me, when ANYthing can honestly happen; injuries to other teams, we could out-perform expectations with the right mix. Point is, we have to try.

That doesn't mean we throw all of our assets out there for anything, but a guy like say Jimmy Butler IS worth throwing a lot at!

I've heard others say this same thing, buy your time for 3 or so years, develop the young team (the next Warriors) then when GSW and the Cavs are old, you bypass them. 

In three years (hoping ping pong balls falling right) your core could be: Smart, Fultz, Brown, and Zicic.  Let's also not forget, we have the 2018 nets pick as well to add to this core....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the "stand pat" has everything to do with the quality of players that are available (truly available) on the market.

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I can't see how we can stay pat for 3 years and still have a winning culture.

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Yesterday Bleacher Report also ranked Isaiah Thomas the 11th best PG in the league.  ::)
I saw that list.  They had Conley ahead of him which I didn't really agree with.  But did any of the other guys selected ahead of him offend you?

I only saw that post on instagram and didnīt even bother to check the list out, did they have a point?

They had it as:

#1 - Westbrook
#2 - Harden
#3 - CP3
#4 - Curry
#5 - Lowry
#6 - Wall
#7 - Kemba
#8 - Kyrie
#9 - Lillard
#10 - Conley
#11 - Thomas

I was ready to get mad about Kemba walker, but I see he's shooting 47%/42%/83% after shooting pretty weak percentages his first 4 seasons.  Gives me hope for Smart.

Conley;  22.10

Wow, I really am sick and tired of the utter disrespect given to IT on this board!!  This should be the LAST place that he gets short-changed IMHO!!!!

Smitty77

He's also ranked dead last in the entire league in several advanced defensive statistics that agree with the eye test, and basketball is a two-way sport, so....

I'd definitely take all those guys over IT, too (maybe Kemba is questionable). Some are pretty bad defensively, too, but they at least have the size to make it a little more difficult for guys to shoot over them.

I know he's dead last in DRPM, which is one of the worst advanced stats out there. Like literally I would wipe my behind with it if I could it's so worthless. Actually no, I don't want something so worthless touching me.

What other defensive metrics is he ranked low in? Overall opponents shoot 1.3% better than their average against him, 6.1% worse from behind the 3 point line. For reference Mike Conley allows opponents to shoot 1.7% better, Kyle Lowry 2.1% better, Kyrie Irving 5.1% better. On the other end of the scale, Kemba Walker makes opponents shoot 4.5% worse, Smart 3.1% worse and John Wall 0.8% worse.

You make some nice points Sundance!!  However, you really cannot look at such stats in isolation.  Kemba simply is NOT a good one-on-one defender!!!!  I live about 45 minutes from Charlotte's arena and see a LOT of Hornet games.  Kemba has one of the best and LONGEST defensive SG playing next to him in Batum.  He also has a MUCH QUICKER SF in MKG that covers up blow by's much more quickly than a Crowder!!!  (Do NOT get me wrong, I like Crowder overall for NOW!!).

Smitty77

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

They had it as:

#1 - Westbrook
#2 - Harden
#3 - CP3
#4 - Curry
#5 - Lowry
#6 - Wall
#7 - Kemba
#8 - Kyrie
#9 - Lillard
#10 - Conley
#11 - Thomas

Conley;  22.10

Smitty77

RPM in any iteration is garbage.  I think whether one uses RPM or PER is a great proxy for judging one's intelligence. 

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
This isn't surprising.  I could see them making a move for a rent a center like Bogut but aside from that, unless someone makes a godfather offer of some sort it just makes sense to keep on the track they are on.

I agree.  There is a big need for rebounding but the C's need to stay the course.

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:04 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

They had it as:

#1 - Westbrook
#2 - Harden
#3 - CP3
#4 - Curry
#5 - Lowry
#6 - Wall
#7 - Kemba
#8 - Kyrie
#9 - Lillard
#10 - Conley
#11 - Thomas

Conley;  22.10

Smitty77

You make some nice points Sundance!!  However, you really cannot look at such stats in isolation.  Kemba simply is NOT a good one-on-one defender!!!!  I live about 45 minutes from Charlotte's arena and see a LOT of Hornet games.  Kemba has one of the best and LONGEST defensive SG playing next to him in Batum.  He also has a MUCH QUICKER SF in MKG that covers up blow by's much more quickly than a Crowder!!!  (Do NOT get me wrong, I like Crowder overall for NOW!!).

Smitty77

Oh absolutely, it's all about context. Bradley is considered a bad defender according to most stats but the context is he normally has the elite shooter to guard. I was simply pointing out that IT is not a bad defender. Early in the season I was criticising his effort because I felt he was taking plays off. More recently he seems to be taking affront to teams targeting him which is great news! I want him angry that teams think he can't hold his own because when he applies himself he can make things happen on that end.