Author Topic: Bleacher Reports predicts Celtics to stand pat in trade market  (Read 7850 times)

Bleacher Reports predicts Celtics to stand pat in trade market
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686279-nba-trade-deadline-2017-10-early-predictions/page/9

By the way, has there been a season in the last 7 or so in which the Celtics did not have a Clipper pick? ::)

Re: Bleacher Reports predicts Celtics to stand pat in trade market
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I'm still hoping for a Noel trade, which shouldn't cost any of our major core assets in Smart, Brown, or the two Brooklyn picks.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the story is spot on. Especially this bit:

The Golden State Warriors are the Golden State Warriors. LeBron is LeBron. Why needlessly accelerate towards a brick wall, then watch as teams with bright futures and a plethora of assets zoom on by?

If I'm the Cs, I sit back, maybe kick tires here and there, but I don't feel a need to trade for the sake of trading.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
This isn't surprising.  I could see them making a move for a rent a center like Bogut but aside from that, unless someone makes a godfather offer of some sort it just makes sense to keep on the track they are on. 

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:25:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686279-nba-trade-deadline-2017-10-early-predictions/page/9

By the way, has there been a season in the last 7 or so in which the Celtics did not have a Clipper pick? ::)

From that piece.

Shouldn't they, in turn, be obligated to broker a monster move to counter the Cavaliers' acquisition of Korver?

This part cracked me up.  Yup, the Korver move, among all moves, should be the one that lights a fuse on a "monster trade".   People with that mindset are nuts, IMO.

I do agree with this article, much more so, than the Ben Golliver SI piece from last week.  Dan Favale is spot on.  For now, the Celtics can sit tight.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

The Golden State Warriors are the Golden State Warriors. LeBron is LeBron. Why needlessly accelerate towards a brick wall, then watch as teams with bright futures and a plethora of assets zoom on by?

If I'm the Cs, I sit back, maybe kick tires here and there, but I don't feel a need to trade for the sake of trading.
Sober thought - kinda sucks for some fans. You want to see the C's put up a good fight but you know that the talent is below CLE and TOR. You want to shake it up to go further in the playoffs but you know that it will only harm us in the LONG long run. Looking forward to June already!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Sober thought - kinda sucks for some fans. You want to see the C's put up a good fight but you know that the talent is below CLE and TOR. You want to shake it up to go further in the playoffs but you know that it will only harm us in the LONG long run. Looking forward to June already!!!

Yeah, I like having a good team to cheer for, but the idea that Boston won't be a true contender for (possibly) another 3-4 seasons is a bit difficult for me. I know, first-world problems and all that, but this team has progressed so much in such a short time, that a multiyear slowdown seems ... too slow. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »

Offline justice

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
So let's just sit around and wait for the Cavs and Warriors to go away?.... We'll have to wait years for them to drop off.

Danny signed a 30 year old Horford to a max deal. He ain't getting any younger, and neither is Thomas. We may as well push to see what we can get now and compete. We are not that far away...Giving in seems silly to me, when ANYthing can honestly happen; injuries to other teams, we could out-perform expectations with the right mix. Point is, we have to try.

That doesn't mean we throw all of our assets out there for anything, but a guy like say Jimmy Butler IS worth throwing a lot at!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:44:06 PM by justice »

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If it's possible to add a utility wing or a rebounder without giving up any major assets or tying up cap space this summer, I think they'll do it.

Since that seems rather unlikely, the conclusion reached by this article seems correct.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Not every deal that would help us go further in the playoffs now would hurt us in the long run.  Adding a young star, or spending minimal assets on an expiring player that fills a hole (like Bogut) would help now while being a net gain (in the case of getting a young star) or have no effect (in the case of a guy like Bogut) on our team long term
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
That would be an insult to all Cs fans if this is true.  You don't have to 'mortgage the farm' so to speak to improve the team specifically for this year.

Last night highlighted perfectly what this team needs, and it happens to be something this team has needed for 3+ years now...they need a big guy who can be a physical presence in the paint and who can actually consistently rebound.  Something like that is not going to cost a lot, like at all.  You don't need to give up the Brooklyn picks.  Heck, you can maybe get someone without even giving up a player.  This is the beauty of that Nets trade.  You can trade away smaller pieces and later picks because you still have the Brooklyn Nets tanking for you for the lottery.

If Ainge decides to do absolutely nothing after witnessing that pathetic rebounding effort last night, then I think that truly is a slap in the face to everyone who follows this team.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ

AMEN!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

We're right there with Toronto.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
That would be an insult to all Cs fans if this is true.  You don't have to 'mortgage the farm' so to speak to improve the team specifically for this year.

Last night highlighted perfectly what this team needs, and it happens to be something this team has needed for 3+ years now...they need a big guy who can be a physical presence in the paint and who can actually consistently rebound.  Something like that is not going to cost a lot, like at all.  You don't need to give up the Brooklyn picks.  Heck, you can maybe get someone without even giving up a player.  This is the beauty of that Nets trade.  You can trade away smaller pieces and later picks because you still have the Brooklyn Nets tanking for you for the lottery.

If Ainge decides to do absolutely nothing after witnessing that pathetic rebounding effort last night, then I think that truly is a slap in the face to everyone who follows this team.
This...I am hoping that Danny does see that SOMETHING needs to be done and he does do a trade to shore up one of many holes. I think we can hang with TOR IF we can get rebounding help. You may have to throw in a pick, other than Nets 17 or 18, to get it done...but you gotta get it done! And if people can't see that sometimes you have to overpay to get a guy then you do it (not the Nets picks)

Can you imagine, lets imagine for a minute, that a BIG is available and Danny does nothing at the deadline (fair value for a BIG - no Nets pick), we finally win a round and have to go and face TOR while CLE faces the #4 team (Char or DET). LeBron gets injured in that round, and we lose to TOR - IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IN BOSTON - knowing that we had the assets to get a quality BIG and didn't pull the trigger and all but gave the Eastern Conference to TOR.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If it's possible to add a utility wing or a rebounder without giving up any major assets or tying up cap space this summer, I think they'll do it.

Since that seems rather unlikely, the conclusion reached by this article seems correct.

As does yet another early playoff exit.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."