Author Topic: Offensive Turnovers  (Read 362 times)

Offensive Turnovers
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Sorry if anyone’s mentioned this already, but I haven’t read it here yet.

I remember watching a nationally televised game, I think it was against Cleveland, but it could’ve been GS.  During that game Chris Webber, pointed out how the Celtics give up Offensive Turnovers. He’s talking about taking spot up threes, early in the shot clock. He commented on how this kills the momentum of offense and rejuvenates the opponent.

Now, I don’t see a problem with taking threes early in the game if it’s within the flow of the game. In that situation its low risk high reward.

As a fan I don’t like seeing offensive turnovers, with less than five minutes remaining. I think this happened last night against the Raptors. If you have a small lead and your trying to win the game, wouldn’t it make more sense to run the clock down and wait for the best shot? Take a higher percentage shot? I mean, it seems pretty basic to me, it’s the other team that needs to gamble. They need to close the gap. Why does Stevens have guys out there that can’t seem to grasp simple BBall 101?  Thoughts?

Re: Offensive Turnovers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Perhaps because we play quite a few young players that are still maturing.  I do NOT remember Chris Webber being the most cerebral player at first.  Didn't he call a time out that Michigan did NOT have that cost them a critical game in the Final Four!!

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@Green-Bananas

These are three different issues.

1/Taking spot up 3s with time early in the shot clock

2/C's comminting many TOs

3/ Closing the game against Toronto

My thoughts quickly

1/It's a non issue

2/Not true. We are fifth for least TOs with 11.8 per game. Our opponents on average make 14.

Source

3/Several things went wrong in the last mins of the game with Toronto. But I would not jump to conclusions based on one game.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
@Green-Bananas

These are three different issues.

1/Taking spot up 3s with time early in the shot clock

2/C's comminting many TOs

3/ Closing the game against Toronto

My thoughts quickly

1/It's a non issue

2/Not true. We are fifth for least TOs with 11.8 per game. Our opponents on average make 14.

Source

3/Several things went wrong in the last mins of the game with Toronto. But I would not jump to conclusions based on one game.

I don’t think I made clear what I meant by an offensive turnover? I’m not referring to a regular turnover, like the ones made by a bad play or mishandle of the ball.

What I’m talking about is, giving up a possession so quickly in the shot clock. It’s like giving a free turnover because of a low percentage shot. The other team gets the ball back sooner with another chance to tie or go ahead. There’s no stat for this, team turnover percentage does not support this.

I’m stating that this team has a difficult time closing out close games because they rely so much on the three. Obviously personnel has a lot to do with this, and they are a good three point team. I’m just wondering if there is a better way to close out games, with higher percentage shots? With the current Roster?