Author Topic: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder  (Read 9299 times)

Re: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
In a second. I think you are very much a homer if you don't think Carmelo is better than Jae. Re: his salary cap figure, convince me that the Celtics are going to be able to attract and sign a top 30 max player next year. That would be the opportunity cost of Carmelo.

If you hate Carmelo, I get it. I'm not enamored by him. I also acknowledge that he's a top 30 player in the NBA, that was considered to be a top scorer on Team USA this last go around. The Celtics need another high volume scorer. Jae isn't that guy, and I'm not sure that another is available.

I don't think Melo is a top 30 player anymore. Top 50 probably. Tail end of top 50.

Same here. He's no longer anywhere near efficient enough to be held in such high esteem despite his one-way game.

I think it depends a lot on his cirumstances. The Olympics showed us he can be a reliable second- or third- (or fourth!) banana. That Knicks team is a chemistry disaster and that isn't Melo's fault.

There's also the BS Effect. The man made Jordan Crawford look almost like a reliable PG. He would put Melo in a position to be successful, play off his strengths and minimize his weakness. Frankly, I don't think he's a worse defender than IT, and everyone across the league is singing his praises. Remember how nice it was to have old, rickety Paul Pierce - how often he would put up big number and command full attention defensively? Melo could be the same.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
In a second. I think you are very much a homer if you don't think Carmelo is better than Jae. Re: his salary cap figure, convince me that the Celtics are going to be able to attract and sign a top 30 max player next year. That would be the opportunity cost of Carmelo.

If you hate Carmelo, I get it. I'm not enamored by him. I also acknowledge that he's a top 30 player in the NBA, that was considered to be a top scorer on Team USA this last go around. The Celtics need another high volume scorer. Jae isn't that guy, and I'm not sure that another is available.

I don't think Melo is a top 30 player anymore. Top 50 probably. Tail end of top 50.

Same here. He's no longer anywhere near efficient enough to be held in such high esteem despite his one-way game.

I think it depends a lot on his cirumstances. The Olympics showed us he can be a reliable second- or third- (or fourth!) banana. That Knicks team is a chemistry disaster and that isn't Melo's fault.

There's also the BS Effect. The man made Jordan Crawford look almost like a reliable PG. He would put Melo in a position to be successful, play off his strengths and minimize his weakness. Frankly, I don't think he's a worse defender than IT, and everyone across the league is singing his praises. Remember how nice it was to have old, rickety Paul Pierce - how often he would put up big number and command full attention defensively? Melo could be the same.
I wouldnt put much stock in the olympics. Pat Mills and Bogdonavich were also stars there.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Semi interesting.  In 2007, we gave up a top 5 pick, a solid 29 year old starter (Wally) and a solid 23 year old prospect averaging 12.2 points, 4.4 assists, 3 rebounds 1.1 steals with 43%/37%/85% shooting (Delonte) for a 32 year old star (Ray).

An equivalent trade would be Jaylen Brown (the top 5 pick), Amir (29 year old starter) and I guess Olynyk (decent youngish prospect who can shoot) for 32 year old Melo.

Celtic fans would riot if we did that.   I just think it's interesting.  For what it's worth, I HATED the Ray trade when it happened for all the same reasons I'd hate giving up Jaylen, Amir and Olynyk for Melo.  The Ray trade only make sense in context with the KG move. 

Anyways...

So now you're comparing Jaylen Brown with Jeff Green? A day after comparing Jimmy Butler to Ricky Davis?

LB- you are killing it!

No, he's comparing how Green was viewed as a prospect in 2007 to how Brown is viewed as one now.  He was viewed as a good/very good (but not elite) prospect then, just as Jaylen is now.  He was a top 5 pick for a reason.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Semi interesting.  In 2007, we gave up a top 5 pick, a solid 29 year old starter (Wally) and a solid 23 year old prospect averaging 12.2 points, 4.4 assists, 3 rebounds 1.1 steals with 43%/37%/85% shooting (Delonte) for a 32 year old star (Ray).

An equivalent trade would be Jaylen Brown (the top 5 pick), Amir (29 year old starter) and I guess Olynyk (decent youngish prospect who can shoot) for 32 year old Melo.

Celtic fans would riot if we did that.   I just think it's interesting.  For what it's worth, I HATED the Ray trade when it happened for all the same reasons I'd hate giving up Jaylen, Amir and Olynyk for Melo.  The Ray trade only make sense in context with the KG move. 

Anyways...

So now you're comparing Jaylen Brown with Jeff Green? A day after comparing Jimmy Butler to Ricky Davis?

LB- you are killing it!
Are we sure Jaylen is a better level prospect than Jeff Green was in 2007?  I'm not so sure.

Green as a rookie averaged 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists...  Jaylen is averaging 4.8 points, 1.9 rebounds, 0.6 assists.   That's unfair to Jaylen, though, because he doesn't play well enough to earn minutes for this team.  So let's even out their minutes and re-evaluate:

Rookie Jeff Green Per-36:  13.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.8 blocks with 43%/28%/74% shooting.   

Rookie Jaylen Brown Per-36:  13.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1 steal, 0.8 blocks with 44%/32%/64% shooting

Basically the same.  We have the benefit of hindsight in looking at what the #5 pick became in 2007 and that's countered with our expectations of Jaylen vastly exceeding his perceived potential.  But really, 2007 Jeff Green was seen as more or less the same level of prospect as 2017 Jaylen Brown... perhaps even seen as a better prospect than Jaylen is now, honestly.

So Jaylen + Amir + Kelly for Melo is comparable to #5 pick + Wally + Delonte for Ray, imo.   Basically identical.

And again, it's important to reiterate that I HATED the Ray trade when it went down.  I couldn't fathom we gave up a top 5 pick for a 32 year old guard with bad ankles.   

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I just don't believe Melo is willing to accept being second fiddle. Maybe he's willing to accept it at the Olympics, when he knows he's alongside elite talent, but I would bet a fair amount of money that Melo (delusionally) believes he is better than Isaiah. Melo has indicated through resigning with NYK and insisting on a NTC that he'd prefer to remain a big fish in a small pond. I don't think that's changing.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton

I wouldnt put much stock in the olympics. Pat Mills and Bogdonavich were also stars there.

True, but it should serve as a template for any kind of team that would (completely hypothetically) land Carmelo and hope to compete for a title. If the concern is, would he buy into a non-star role for the chance at the Finals, the Olympics are at least one piece of evidence pointing to a "yes."

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Yeah, and playing 4th banana to guys like Durant, Paul George, and Kyrie is a lot different than deferring to Isaiah and Al Horford

Edit: Changed Harden to Paul George
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Anyways...

Good point, kid, TP
Grand Pa

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Anyways...

LB- you are killing it!
Are we sure Jaylen is a better level prospect than Jeff Green was in 2007?  I'm not so sure.

Green as a rookie averaged 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists...  Jaylen is averaging 4.8 points, 1.9 rebounds, 0.6 assists.   That's unfair to Jaylen, though, because he doesn't play well enough to earn minutes for this team.  So let's even out their minutes and re-evaluate:

Rookie Jeff Green Per-36:  13.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.8 blocks with 43%/28%/74% shooting.   

Rookie Jaylen Brown Per-36:  13.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1 steal, 0.8 blocks with 44%/32%/64% shooting

Rookie Jeff Green had 3 years of college experience.

Rookie Jaylen Brown has 1 year of college experience.

I'm sure it was just an oversight because you definitely have impartial posts and never ignore context.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, and playing 4th banana to guys like Durant, Paul George, and Kyrie is a lot different than deferring to Isaiah and Al Horford

come on he wouldn't defer to Horford.  that is just silly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You are saying Kyrie has more respect than IT4 around the league?

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Anyways...

LB- you are killing it!

I'm sure it was just an oversight because you definitely have impartial posts and never ignore context.
It was actually the 5th pick without a player that was traded.  Seattle actually choose Jeff Green, but it could have been any player on the board at that time including Joakim Noah.  The rights to draft a player has an added level of value in that type of trade.  Green was basically a year older than Brown at the time of the draft.  So while he had an extra two years of college, he was only a year older and not 2 years older.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton

I just think that if we made that trade we'd be a better playoff team and tougher out for teams like Cleveland and Toronto. On his contract, by the time Carmelo is in full-on decline, ideally Jaylen Brown will be ready for major minutes. Who knows. I don't love Carmelo Anthony, but he's better than Jae Crowder. And I like Jae Crowder just fine!

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

That's exactly my point.  Melo was fine taking a lesser role and playing behind big names like Durant, Paul George, and Kyrie Irving in the Olympics, but here he'd try to be the top dog
I'm bitter.

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Anyways...

LB- you are killing it!

That's a solid point, Eddie.   TP.  Speaking of "ignoring", it's nice to see you re-subscribed to the Daily Dinger. 

Jaylen's 20 years old.  I think Green was already 21 as a rookie.   Maybe Jaylen deserves a bit more credit as a prospect based on age and lack of experience.   Still, we traded that Top 5 pick before the draft.  Green was their choice, not ours.  I still think it's absolutely fair to argue that the trade value of that #5 pick when we moved it on draft night was higher than Jaylen Brown's trade value right now in the midst of a quiet Rookie season.   Remember, most mocks had Jaylen going 8th and the players available in the 3-8 range were all seen as pretty mediocre.

So I stand by it... Jaylen + Amir + Kelly for 32 year old Melo is pretty darn similar to the #5 pick + Wally + Delonte for 32 year old Ray Allen trade. 

I'd hate it if we gave up Jaylen for Melo.  I hated that we gave up a very valuable #5 pick for Ray as well.