Author Topic: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder  (Read 9373 times)

Re: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Melo is still a pretty effective overall player averaging basically 22/6/3 with a TS% of 53%.  He is also a guy that can explode offensively on any given night and will a team to victory.  Not as consistently as before, but he still has it in him. 

He is older and has a big contract, but if you can get him for Crowder, Rozier, Johnson, and a bunch of 2nd round picks, you have to make that trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Definitely not. Our offense is great, and our offensive superstar is a much better #1 than Melo. Where we need help is on defense, and theoretically, Crowder helps on that end.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'd rather have Crowder and cap space this summer.  Melo is still a good scorer, but I don't think an iso-heavy 29 year old that doesn't play D and has a history of being a diva is what this team needs.  He definitely wouldn't make us contenders now, and there's a good chance he would prevent us from making the moves necessary to build a contender, so I would steer clear.

I wonder if Cleveland could scrape together enough salary (and assets) to trade for him
Carmelo will be 33 in May.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:12:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I am a little concerned about him. He seems too old and set in his ways to all of a sudden buy in to defense and ball movement. Im also concerned about his ability to accept his role as a second option. 

I think he is still a stud scorer and would make a dynamite 2nd option behind Isaiah. he is a really good rebounder for a 3/4 and can shoot threes and when he wants to can be a solid passer.

His contract is kinda concerning and I think the other 3 guys we get in the deal are all garbage.

Hes got a NTC which he seems to have no intention of waiving but the clause could prove to be a self-vetting process for the trade.

If he doesnt want to really buy in to this team and accept his role, he can just decline to be traded. IF he decides that hes ready to buy in, he accepts the trade and maybe we get a motivated and engaged and bought in Carmelo Anthony.

That could be enough to make Lebron take us seriously, which ironically might take away our best chance of beating Lebron.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
In a second. I think you are very much a homer if you don't think Carmelo is better than Jae. Re: his salary cap figure, convince me that the Celtics are going to be able to attract and sign a top 30 max player next year. That would be the opportunity cost of Carmelo.

If you hate Carmelo, I get it. I'm not enamored by him. I also acknowledge that he's a top 30 player in the NBA, that was considered to be a top scorer on Team USA this last go around. The Celtics need another high volume scorer. Jae isn't that guy, and I'm not sure that another is available.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Definitely not. Our offense is great, and our offensive superstar is a much better #1 than Melo. Where we need help is on defense, and theoretically, Crowder helps on that end.

Please explain to me 1) what the word great means and 2) how our offense resembles that definition.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
In a second. I think you are very much a homer if you don't think Carmelo is better than Jae. Re: his salary cap figure, convince me that the Celtics are going to be able to attract and sign a top 30 max player next year. That would be the opportunity cost of Carmelo.

If you hate Carmelo, I get it. I'm not enamored by him. I also acknowledge that he's a top 30 player in the NBA, that was considered to be a top scorer on Team USA this last go around. The Celtics need another high volume scorer. Jae isn't that guy, and I'm not sure that another is available.

I don't think Melo is a top 30 player anymore. Top 50 probably. Tail end of top 50.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Please explain to me 1) what the word great means and 2) how our offense resembles that definition.

Are you familiar with offensive rating?

DKC Clippers

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is on a terrible team.

Just looking at the last two years, when Melo plays less then 20 minutes (or not at all), the Knicks are 1-14.

When he plays more, they are 48 and 59.  Not great, but really drastically different from when he isn't a major part of the team.

He is not a savior, but he is a lot better then some are giving him credit for. 

And best of all, he didn't cost any of the better trade pieces the Celtics have. 

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I don't think Melo is a top 30 player anymore. Top 50 probably. Tail end of top 50.

Same here. He's no longer anywhere near efficient enough to be held in such high esteem despite his one-way game.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah, I'd do it. We do overvalue our players, since we watch them more than anyone else and talk ourselves into each one's value. Jae Crowder is a nice, solid player. He is not better than Carmelo and his ceiling is nowhere close to Melo's current ability.

Melo's NTC would be all we need to know whether or not he'll buy into our team. If he approves it, that means he's willing to go to battle with us. We consolidate a few of our assets in the process, which, honestly, is kind of nice. Good to know who you've got and to open up some PT for Jaylen Brown - who has the kind of ceiling Crowder doesn't.

Look, I doubt it happens, but you're gonna tell me an engaged Melo whose job would be to rebound, provide offense and hold his own / be solid in team D wouldn't be awesome? It would make us a much tougher playoff out, for sure, when you need guys who at least have the gear to be transcendent.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Semi interesting.  In 2007, we gave up a top 5 pick, a solid 29 year old starter (Wally) and a solid 23 year old prospect averaging 12.2 points, 4.4 assists, 3 rebounds 1.1 steals with 43%/37%/85% shooting (Delonte) for a 32 year old star (Ray).

An equivalent trade would be Jaylen Brown (the top 5 pick), Amir (29 year old starter) and I guess Olynyk (decent youngish prospect who can shoot) for 32 year old Melo.

Celtic fans would riot if we did that.   I just think it's interesting.  For what it's worth, I HATED the Ray trade when it happened for all the same reasons I'd hate giving up Jaylen, Amir and Olynyk for Melo.  The Ray trade only make sense in context with the KG move. 

Anyways...

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Yeah, I'd do it. We do overvalue our players, since we watch them more than anyone else and talk ourselves into each one's value. Jae Crowder is a nice, solid player. He is not better than Carmelo and his ceiling is nowhere close to Melo's current ability.

Melo's NTC would be all we need to know whether or not he'll buy into our team. If he approves it, that means he's willing to go to battle with us. We consolidate a few of our assets in the process, which, honestly, is kind of nice. Good to know who you've got and to open up some PT for Jaylen Brown - who has the kind of ceiling Crowder doesn't.

Look, I doubt it happens, but you're gonna tell me an engaged Melo whose job would be to rebound, provide offense and hold his own / be solid in team D wouldn't be awesome? It would make us a much tougher playoff out, for sure, when you need guys who at least have the gear to be transcendent.

I think Melo has made it clear that he doesn't want to serve in this role.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trade proposal by Knicks

To Celts : Melo, Ndour, Plumlee, Vujacic
To Knicks: Crowder, Amir, Rozier, Mickey,  three 2017 2nd round picks

I think the Knicks are going to clean house by the trade deadline and get whatever they can. Jackson could also be fired. Heck of a coach but a very poor GM.

Noah, Rose, Melo, Lee all gone. And build around Kristap and high draft picks.

Celtics lineup after trade

Horford
Melo
Brown
AB
IT

KO/Zeller
Jerebko
Young
Smart
Jackson

One of horford, melo, IT4 on the floor the whole game

Would you take this offer? If everything clicks can this lineup take on the Cavs?

I love how you're now trying to dump Mickey in all your trade ideas. What happened?

I wouldn't do it. Melo is 33 and his game is already deteriorating.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Semi interesting.  In 2007, we gave up a top 5 pick, a solid 29 year old starter (Wally) and a solid 23 year old prospect averaging 12.2 points, 4.4 assists, 3 rebounds 1.1 steals with 43%/37%/85% shooting (Delonte) for a 32 year old star (Ray).

An equivalent trade would be Jaylen Brown (the top 5 pick), Amir (29 year old starter) and I guess Olynyk (decent youngish prospect who can shoot) for 32 year old Melo.

Celtic fans would riot if we did that.   I just think it's interesting.  For what it's worth, I HATED the Ray trade when it happened for all the same reasons I'd hate giving up Jaylen, Amir and Olynyk for Melo.  The Ray trade only make sense in context with the KG move. 

Anyways...

So now you're comparing Jaylen Brown with Jeff Green? A day after comparing Jimmy Butler to Ricky Davis?

How about Marcus Smart is the new Marcus Banks? They're both named Marcus!

LB- you are killing it!