Author Topic: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder  (Read 9301 times)

If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Trade proposal by Knicks

To Celts : Melo, Ndour, Plumlee, Vujacic
To Knicks: Crowder, Amir, Rozier, Mickey,  three 2017 2nd round picks

I think the Knicks are going to clean house by the trade deadline and get whatever they can. Jackson could also be fired. Heck of a coach but a very poor GM.

Noah, Rose, Melo, Lee all gone. And build around Kristap and high draft picks.

Celtics lineup after trade

Horford
Melo
Brown
AB
IT

KO/Zeller
Jerebko
Young
Smart
Jackson

One of horford, melo, IT4 on the floor the whole game

Would you take this offer? If everything clicks can this lineup take on the Cavs?

Re: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yes, I would take this offer. 

But I would keep Melo at SF.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would do this but know Knicks would not.

Phil Jackson gets a lot more mileage from Porzingis drafting. He isn't going away.

Melo trade would screw up our cap space for an UFA but there is no assurance that we will be able to sign anyone of note next off season.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd rather have Crowder and cap space this summer.  Melo is still a good scorer, but I don't think an iso-heavy 29 year old that doesn't play D and has a history of being a diva is what this team needs.  He definitely wouldn't make us contenders now, and there's a good chance he would prevent us from making the moves necessary to build a contender, so I would steer clear.

I wonder if Cleveland could scrape together enough salary (and assets) to trade for him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would do this but know Knicks would not.

Phil Jackson gets a lot more mileage from Porzingis drafting. He isn't going away.

Melo trade would screw up our cap space for an UFA but there is no assurance that we will be able to sign anyone of note next off season.

Knicks obviously would want the 2017 1st or 2018 nets 1st but Danny says no and gives them 2nd round picks.
Honestly dont think Knicks can get any better. Goodluck getting more than subpar as well for Rose,Noah, Lee (what were they thinking??)

Well having space wont matter if Carmelo could help the Celts make the finals or have a chance to for the next 2-3 seasons... Big If

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope. Not sure Melo is an upgrade over Crowder. More different than better. Definitely not willing to give away Rozier on top of Crowder. Melo is not worth the two of them. Then Mickey and 3 2nd round picks. Overpay.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd rather have Crowder and cap space this summer.  Melo is still a good scorer, but I don't think an iso-heavy 29 year old that doesn't play D and has a history of being a diva is what this team needs.  He definitely wouldn't make us contenders now, and there's a good chance he would prevent us from making the moves necessary to build a contender, so I would steer clear.

I wonder if Cleveland could scrape together enough salary (and assets) to trade for him

He is also a guy that will play well when surrounded by talent. 

Something that really hasn't happened in NY.   

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Not wild about Melo + IT together. Two me-first guys who eat a lot of possessions.

I don't think they complement each other that well. Both guys want to be the focal point and have difficulty moving into secondary scorer status.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nope. Not sure Melo is an upgrade over Crowder. More different than better. Definitely not willing to give away Rozier on top of Crowder. Melo is not worth the two of them. Then Mickey and 3 2nd round picks. Overpay.

Think regular season... Think 1st round

You still rather have Crowder over Melo?

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Carmelo has a no trade clause and a wife that wants to stay in NYC, which is why he forced his way to the Knicks in the first place. He isnt getting traded anytime soon.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24622633/report-carmelo-anthony-has-no-trade-clause-opt-out-in-new-deal

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I just think Melo has gotten old. His defense is the worst it has been in about 7-8 years. He doesn't have the same energy when moving around the court. On defense or offense. Or on the boards. His offense looks more laboured than before. He can still get things done because of his high skill-level but it takes him longer (which makes offense more stagnant - which makes things harder for his teammates to play alongside him offensively).

I don't think his overall contributions on the court is that valuable anymore. I am not sure he still adds more to a team than Crowder does. And even if Melo still does more, I don't think the difference is worth sacrificing so much for him (cap flexibility, Rozier, extra 2nd rounders).

And I do think Melo would have trouble putting his ego aside for the good of the team when the main stars here are the little guy and the passive Al Horford. A different team with more star power where Melo could more readily accept a lesser role offensively would be better for him (ego, team chemistry wise).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:00:01 PM by Who »

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Think regular season... Think 1st round

You still rather have Crowder over Melo?

Yeah, I think a player like Crowder with his physical toughness, defense and team first attitude is just as valuable if not more valuable come playoff time than Melo is nowadays.

Melo is not the same player he was 2-3 years ago.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just think Melo has gotten old. His defense is the worst it has been in about 7-8 years. He doesn't have the same energy when moving around the court. On defense or offense. Or on the boards. His offense looks more laboured than before. He can still get things done because of his high skill-level but it takes him longer (which makes offense more stagnant).

I don't think his overall contributions on the court is that valuable anymore. I am not sure he still adds more to a team than Crowder does. And even if Melo still does more, I don't think the difference is worth sacrificing so much for him (cap flexibility, Rozier, extra 2nd rounders).

And I do think Melo would have trouble putting his ego aside for the good of the team when the main stars here are the little guy and the passive Al Horford. A different team with more star power where Melo could more readily accept a lesser role offensively would be better for him (ego, team chemistry wise).

But you are thinking of Melo as a franchise type vs energy/defense...which I agree.. no matter what highly overpaid

But what if in a role for the Celts like how Kevin Love plays with the Cavs  ...

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I just think Melo has gotten old. His defense is the worst it has been in about 7-8 years. He doesn't have the same energy when moving around the court. On defense or offense. Or on the boards. His offense looks more laboured than before. He can still get things done because of his high skill-level but it takes him longer (which makes offense more stagnant).

But you are thinking of Melo as a franchise type vs energy/defense...which I agree.. no matter what highly overpaid

But what if in a role for the Celts like how Kevin Love plays with the Cavs  ...

I do not think Melo could accept such a role here. I don't think his ego would allow it.

I think it would take a star-studded team like GSW or CLE for Melo to accept a lesser role.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Carmelo has a no trade clause and a wife that wants to stay in NYC, which is why he forced his way to the Knicks in the first place. He isnt getting traded anytime soon.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24622633/report-carmelo-anthony-has-no-trade-clause-opt-out-in-new-deal

Small obstacle. If knicks tell melo and agent we dont want you...he will opt out imo. He is kind of sensitive

This would be a good thing for the Celts..  light a fire under his azz